(his dates)
Gift from his 
classmates and friends

Deaths of members of the Class of 1952 and their wives, depending on the understood wishes of the survivor, are reported to classmates by 52Net email. For the formal memorials, which are limited to 200 words, published in the Princeton Alumni Weekly since 1994, go to the PAW online and click on Memorials, by class or by name.  Since 2002 full obituaries and memorial tributes have been posted on the Class website by year of death.  With the launch of this updated website,  we welcome recent photographs as well as personal tributes.

The Class of 1952 Memorial Book Fund, launched in 1960 with a gift of $2000 from the Class Treasury, provides funds to buy ten books for the University Library in memory of each deceased classmate. Each has the bookplate and inscription shown at right, and the University Librarian writes the next of kin that the Class of 1952 has made the donation.

Gerhard Andlinger, December 22, 2017
Donavin Baumgartner.  April 3, 2017
Georgee Eades "Jerry" Bentley, Jr., August 31, 2017
Harry Pharr Brightman, November 13, 2017
George Murray Brantz, May 12, 2017
George E. P. Buxton, May 5, 2017
Jerome Wolf Canter, May 23, 2017
Irvin Cohen, Jr., October 31, 2017
William Keller Cooper, October 25, 2017 
John Neville Farmer, July 10, 2016
Norman Gilbert, November 26, 2017
Donald Roots Hall, April 30, 2017
John David Herbert, March 27, 2017
Robert Alexander Johnston, Jr., May 31, 2017
George C. Kline, Sr., June 9, 2017
Donald Malehorn, March 16, 2017
John Alexander McGhie, January 17, 2017
Richard Megargee, December 17, 2017
Benjamin Allston Moore, Jr., February 18, 2017  
Kenneth Negus, January 20, 2017
Geoffrey Nunes, September 10, 2017
William Lee Pritchard, February 25, 2017
Charles Byron Renfrew, December 16, 2017
Ben Hines Sparkman, January 12, 2017
Samuel Hopper Tucker, April 7, 2017
Roger Allan Wilson, July 10, 2017

JUNE 20, 1930 - APRIL 30, 2017

HALL, Donald Roots, BA, MA, PhD  Born June 20, 1930, Little Rock, Arkansas, passed away on April 30, 2017, son of Graham Roots Hall and Louise Boaz Hall of Little Rock; grandson of Walter Graham Hall and Emily Roots Hall of Little Rock; grandson of Bishop Hiram Abiff Boaz of Dallas, Texas, co-founder of Southern Methodist University; and grand-nephew of Bishop Logan H. Roots of the Episcopal Church. Dr. Hall was graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, N.H. He received his BA with honors in Social Science from the University of Chicago in 1958; and received his MA and Ph D in Political Science from the University of Colorado in 1963 and 1966 respectively. 

Before completing his undergraduate program, Dr. Hall enlisted in the United States Air Force shortly after the Korean War began. He graduated from Radio Operations School prior to starting pilot training. He completed Pilot Training in the Class of 52C, then B-26 Training, Escape and Evasion School, Combat Crew Training, and left for Korea. After his Korean service (for which he was promoted and awarded the United Nations Service Medal, the American Defense Medal, and the Korean Service medal with one Battle Star), he volunteered for another overseas tour immediately, in England. He flew B-26's and L-19's as a tow target pilot and for antiaircraft gunnery training and weapon calibrating. Much of his off- duty time was spent in France, Germany, Austria, Denmark, Spain, and Portugal. He was asked by the Commanding General of 3rd Air Force to become one of his aides-a position requiring the aide to make the Air Force a career, but Hall declined and took his honorable discharge in 1965.

On returning to the United States, Hall resumed his college education. At the end of his junior year he met and married Alice Anne Coates (also of Little Rock), daughter of John Eastman Coates and Anne Bodman Coates of Little Rock. The couple moved to Chicago where Hall completed his BA in Social Science. After graduation, the couple began residence in Little Rock where Hall worked in industrial development for the Little Rock Chamber of Commerce starting in 1958. As part of his work for the Chamber, Hall was assigned to create and head the first Better Business Bureau in Arkansas. Then, in 1961, he began serving as the Executive Secretary of the Committee for the Two Party System, a political organization founded by Winthrop Rockefeller to promote the Republican Party in Arkansas. 

In 1962, the Halls moved to Boulder, Colorado where Hall began graduate studies at the University of Colorado. He received hi MA in 1963, and after three more years (and a summer of research at Brookings Institution, Washington, DC), Hall received his Ph D in Political Science. The Halls immediately moved to Tucson, Arizona where Hall had accepted a position as Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Arizona. From 1966 to 1990 Hall served as Assistant and Associate Professor of Political Science, retiring in 1990. His favorite courses to teach were American Presidency, Political Parties and Elections, and State and Local Government. He was known as the toughest grader in the Liberal Arts College (now College of Arts and Sciences) and for his insistence on the correct use of language. He was often nominated by his students for teaching awards. As one of the very few Republican members of the Political Science Department, Hall was often called on to make public appearances to present the conservative point of view. He also helped the Libertarians start their party in Southern Arizona. 

Don was intensely interested in election law. He was a charter member of an Election Law Study Committee created by the legislature to study and then propose changes to the Arizona Revised Statutes to modernize the election code. He published several articles on both Canadian and American election law. This work led to his involvement in local Republican Party politics. In 1974 he was elected Chair of the Pima County Republican Party and served two stormy years in that post. He resigned under the fire when he urged the county party to support the Equal Rights Amendment. In 1968, Dr. Hall began his coverage of presidential nominating conventions and state politics for various Tucson media. He covered both parties' national conventions in 1968 and 1972 (for the Arizona Daily Star), in 1976 for KCEE Radio, and in 1980 for KVOA-TV. Hall also served as an election analyst for state and local elections for Tucson radio and television stations. 

Until the end of his teaching career Hall was openly critical of the publish-or-perish system adopted by the University of Arizona in the early 1970's. Hall's only book, Cooperative Lobbying, was long considered an outstanding investigation of the power of pressure groups to influence national legislation (he was co-author several times of the Arizona Academy's Town Hall reports and published frequently in Arizona newspapers. His 1973 series of articles on presidential elections was published in the Australian Financial Times to wide acclaim there. Dr. Hall's political involvement included opposition to the Rillito-Pantano Freeway proposal and the Supervisors and business leaders who supported it, his endorsement of the moderate Republican Women's Caucus in supporting the Equal Rights Amendment, and his attempt to recruit more African-Americans and Hispanic-Americans to the Republican Party. He was a co-founder of the Memberships on Merit Committee that led to acceptance of Jews as members of the Tucson Country Club. While living in Arkansas, Dr. and Mrs. Hall were highly visible and active in opposing then-Governor Orval Faubus and his segregation policies. 

Don was an amateur composer of ballads and country music, winning several national awards but unsuccessful in having his work recorded. His best-known songs in Tucson were "Three Putt Jones" and "Hank the Shank". He was an avid banjo and piano player and loved to play at sing-a-longs. Don maintained his single digit golf handicap for much of his last thirty years at Tucson Country Club, Pinetop, AZ Country Club, and Aspen Valley Golf Club in Flagstaff, AZ. His interest in election law carried over to form his interest in handicap rules and regulations in golf. He chaired the Handicap Committee at Pinetop Country Club and assisted in forming handicap committees at White Mountain Country Club and Tucson Country Club. 

Dr. Hall was predeceased by his wife of 55 years, Alice Coates Hall in 2012. He is survived by his son, David G. Hall and his children, Bryce and Kylie; his daughter, Alison Baity (Kab) and her son, Jameson; his daughter, Ashley Gruber (Marty) and many nieces, nephews and cousins.

JUNE 19, 1929 - JULY 10, 2016

Professor John Neville Farmer died gently July 10, 2016 at Wake Robin Retirement Community, Shelburne, VT. He is survived by his wife Margaret (McQuarrie). They were married for 63 years. John was born to English parents on June 19, 1929 in Simla, India. His parents were Sydney John Farmer (S. J.) and mother Marjorie (Farmer) Farmer (Fink). His step-mother was Dr. Norma Dunning Farmer. S. J. joined the British Army in 1914 and was shipped to India serving the army in the Office of Military Accounts.

John became a world traveler at a young age, sailing to England twice by the time he was six. His grandmother Ethel Farmer cared for him until he was seven when he was enrolled in Brighton Preparatory School for Boys in 1936. Three years later as World War II began his father came to England to take him to Burma where the family lived until the start of the Japanese War. He and his mother escaped to India on a refugee ship. His father got out later bringing all the military accounting records with him–for this he was awarded The Order of the British Empire.

Shortly after settling in Kolhapur, India John’s mother asked for a divorce and his father obtained custody of their only child. John continued his education in more boarding schools and a military school but not before he had told his Dad that the doctor he had seen at the American hospital in town was a woman and beautiful. His dad checked her out. In 1943 S.J. married Dr. Norma Dunning, the Director of the Presbyterian Mary Wanless Mission Hospital and she became John’s loving and ambitious mother. As WW II ended the three of them traveled to the United States on a sabbatical arriving August 2, 1945.

At 16, John’s scattered education, with no records, made it difficult for American schools to know how to place him. Eventually yet another boarding school was the solution. Kiskiminitas Springs School in western Pennsylvania was the answer and he did well with the five week, one course sessions they used. That helped him catch up in his math and science and shine in his history, literature and Latin.

John attended the College of Wooster, Wooster Ohio where he discovered Zoology late in his third year, changed majors, met Margaret and married her in 1952. He went on to graduate school at Iowa State in Ames, Iowa in 1953. He was drafted into the US Army and earned his American citizenship between his Masters and his PhD, which was completed in 1960.

He then taught at the University of Missouri for 19 years and became renowned for his ability to lecture to huge classes of 500 to 800 and earn the respect and affection of a great many of his students. In addition, he advised pre-meds and was the major professor guiding 13 PhDs and master’s students through their research and dissertations. He also received numerous awards for outstanding teaching while at Missouri.

After 19 years at MU, the University of Oklahoma beckoned. In Norman, OK, he continued to attract large numbers of students, lecturing twice a day to more big classes and continued as head of pre-med advising. Again he received many teaching awards with the most prestigious making him a David Ross Boyd Professor of Zoology. That honor was named after the first President of the University of Oklahoma who had graduated from of the College of Wooster, as John had.

John retired in 1995. He and Margaret stayed in Norman where they had a rich and active life in Oklahoma City and Norman for another 17 years. They moved to Shelburne, Vermont in 2013. Former Norman friends, Jo and Ted Herstand had introduced them to Wake Robin, a carefully planned and beautiful non-profit CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community) in Shelburne. Leaving Norman was hard but they were happy to be close to their younger daughter Susan Bueti and her family. They joined a group of very active, interesting and interested residents. Finally, when John needed skilled care as he struggled with COPD, he was able to live in the skilled nursing section of the community just across the driveway from their apartment.

In addition to Susan, her husband Serafino (Sam) Bueti and their children Alessandra and Marcus, all of Waterbury, VT, John is survived by his daughter Johann Cutkomp, husband Jake (James) Cutkomp, their children Graham and Emma all of Iowa City, IA, as well as their son Steve Farmer (Steven John) and his wife Lyn of Phoenix, AZ, as well as their daughters Elizabeth Meyer, her husband Andrew Meyer and their three children Henry, John and Georgia of Lawrence, KS, and Stephanie Jo Farmer, husband Greg Finley and a baby girl on the way in St. Paul, MN.

APRIL 1, 1929 - OCTOBER 25, 2017

"Bill", 88, of st. Petersburg [Florida], passed away peacefully in his sleep on October 25, 217.  Bill was born in Carbondale, Illinois, on April 1, 1929.  He was a page in the US House of Representatives and graduated from Capitol Page High school.  After a post-graduate year at The Loomis School in Windsor, Connecticut, Bill went on to receive a bachelor's degree from Princeton University, and an MBA from Harvard Business School.  He proudly served as an officer the US Army in Korea, and later in the US Army Reserve.  Bill had a long career in human resources management in the insurance industry; and in retirement was also actively involved as a Guardian ad Litem and volunteered for many years with Metropolitan Ministries in Tampa.  He loved to garden and was an avid reader of books on history and politics.  

Bill is survived by his loving wife of 36 years, Charlotte; three sons,Kenneth, Kevin, Kent; half-brother Phil; aunt Juanita Comstock; stepchildren, Ronald and Julie; 11 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.  Bill was preceded in death by his stepdaughter, Barbara and her son, Jason.  Services are pending.   

Richard Megargee
October 21, 1928 - DECEMBER 17, 2017

It is with deep sadness yet hope for the next life that our family announces the passing of beloved husband and father, Richard Megargee, on December 17, 2017 in Tampa, Florida. Richard was a man of kindness, wisdom, talent, positivity, generosity and love. He served in the Army, was a Princeton scholar/athlete, earned his doctorate at Northwestern University, and became a respected professor and mentor with a long career starting at the Citadel in Charleston, S.C., followed by many years at the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, where he also coached soccer, and, finally, more than two decades at the U.S. Naval War College in Newport, R.I.

He was a respected and dearly loved husband and father, an athlete who played soccer, tennis, and squash, in addition to skiing, biking, swimming, and sailing. He was a Renaissance man who was a talented artist and art/architecture lover, piano player and lover of classical music, wood carver, and photographer. He and his wife traveled extensively and saw much of Europe, Canada, the U.S., and the Far East. He loved the outdoors and found joy in fishing, gardening, hiking, birdwatching, and volunteering at nature/wildlife refuges. He kept active with his many interests and community volunteer work even after his retirement.

Richard was the son of Henry P. and Berenice Megargee. He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Mary, daughters Martha and Ann Benigno (Chris), son Michael (Louise), granddaughter Madeleine, and his brother and best friend, Anthony.

He was an especially kind, tolerant, and compassionate man who sacrificed so much for his family. Sadly, his later years were marred by the ravages of Alzheimer’s. We are grateful to God that he passed comfortably and is now free of this heartbreaking disease. The family will be having a private memorial at his favorite fishing spot at Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge in Middletown, R.I.

Donations in his memory may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association at

Words of comfort to the family may be expressed online by visiting http:// or emailing daughter Martha at   

JANUARY 7, 1931 - DECEMBER 22, 2017

Gerhard "Gerry" R. Andlinger, international business executive, investor, philanthropist and sportsman, died peacefully in his sleep at home on Friday December 22. He was a resident of Vero Beach, FL and spent time at his homes in New York City, Aspen and Weisssenbach am Attersee, Austria. He was 86. 

Chairman and founder of the private investment firm Andlinger & Company, Gerry's distinguished life was marked by his many enterprises and interests. He was an entrepreneur of vision and integrity; a leader in the industries of communication,
housing and aerospace; a passionate supporter of higher education, the arts and innovative research; a multi-linguist interested in solving global challenges; a climber of mountains and sailor of seas; and a devoted husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather.   

Born on January 17, 1931 in Linz, Austria, Gerry grew up during World War II. Amidst the difficult wartime circumstances and the loss of his father as a young boy, Gerry went on to become a true American and global success story. He learned English by reading Life Magazine and listening to the Armed Forces Radio Network. In 1948, when he was a junior in high school in Austria, the New York Herald-Tribune ran an essay contest in every country in Europe: the title was "The World I Want." A boy and a girl from each country were chosen based upon this essay for a three-month trip to the U.S.; Gerry was the Austrian boy who won. After seeing the U.S. and visiting Princeton University, he decided he had to study there. At the age of 19 he received a scholarship to Princeton and graduated after two years in 1952 with a degree in economics and Arabic. He continued his studies at Harvard  Business School and was awarded an M.B.A in 1954.  

Following his service as a military intelligence officer in the U.S. Army and becoming a U.S. citizen, Gerry applied his many talents and energies to a career as a global business leader. He was noted for his managerial expertise and turnaround skills while making philanthropy and service to others central to his life's work. He began with McKinsey & Company and, in 1960, was recruited to International Telephone and Telegraph as its first Director of Planning. In several stints with the company, he eventually rose to Executive Vice President and President of ITT Europe. In 1976, Gerry formed his own private investment firm, Andlinger & Company, Inc., and became renowned as an early practitioner of leveraged buyouts and management buyouts. After more than 100 acquisitions, and until his death, he remained Chairman of the firm, which now has offices in the U.S., Brussels and Vienna.   

Gerry often spoke movingly of his experience coming to study in the U.S., and he believed in the power of education and research to improve society. He devoted much of his time and leadership to philanthropic activities, which encompassed cancer research, concussion research through the Concussion Legacy Foundation, women's mental health research (especially at Massachusetts General Hospital), the Salzburg (music) Festival, the Austrian American Foundation and major gifts to Princeton University, including the creation of the Andlinger Center for the Humanities and the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment. His transformative gift for Princeton's energy and environment center was instrumental in accelerating research on effective and sustainable solutions to protecting the environment and developing clean energy sources. 

Gerry was devoted to his family, and they often spent time together sailing, skiing and hiking. He loved cruising around the world with his family on his sailboat Perseus, and racing in Superyacht regattas in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean on his sailboat P2. Gerry is survived by his wife of 26 years, Jeanne Dailey Andlinger; four loving children: Merrick Andlinger, Margaret Maas, Nicole Linn, Tristan Andlinger; four grandchildren; two great- granddaughters; and numerous loving in-laws, nieces, nephews and long-time friends. Gerry was predeceased by his son, Gerhard "Ger" R. Andlinger II, and his grandson, Bodie Maas. A memorial service will be held on January 20, 2018 at 2pm in the Princeton University Chapel.

October 31, 1928 - December 14, 2017

Charles B. Renfrew, Former Deputy Attorney General and Federal Judge, Dies at 89

Charles B. Renfrew, a former federal judge and Deputy U.S. Attorney General in the Carter administration, died on Thursday, December 14 in San Francisco. A great storyteller, avid fisherman, and devoted family man, he engaged people with his humor and genuine connection. He will be remembered for his intellect and curiosity, his energy and optimism, his wisdom and generosity, and most of all for his kindness which touched the lives of so many. He was 89.

Charles Byron Renfrew was born in Detroit, MI on Oct. 31, 1928. After high school he enlisted in the Navy, serving three years at the end of World War II as an electronic technician on two Navy destroyers. His tours included travel to the Philippines, Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Tsingtao, Yokohama and Tokyo. This sparked a life-long fascination with the cultures and communities of the world.

After his service he attended Princeton University on the GI Bill, graduating Phi Beta Kappa in 1952. That same year he married Susan Wheelock, and the couple had four children. They later divorced.

With the advent of the Korean War, he enlisted in the US Army, serving as a Lieutenant from 1952 to 1953 as a forward observer. Returning from Korea, he attended Law School at the University of Michigan where he excelled as a member of the law review and The Order of the Coif. He graduated in 1956 and joined Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro in San Francisco (then the largest law firm west of the Mississippi) and was elected partner in 1965.

In 1972 President Richard Nixon appointed him US District Judge for the Northern District of California. He was renowned for his commitment to the fair administration of justice, and would personally visit prisons, follow-up with caseworkers, probation officers and inmates themselves.

He greatly enjoyed leading naturalization ceremonies, and meeting newly minted citizens. He would tell them to look to the dollar bill’s motto, "out of many, one” for inspiration. He encouraged each new group to notice that all of them standing in his courtroom were from different countries, different backgrounds and different faiths, but that all of them shared a common belief in the United States and in their American citizenship.

His tenure as a judge included numerous complex and highly-charged cases, sometimes involving terrible violence and brutal testimony. Through even the most difficult circumstances, he never lost sight of his responsibility to find the path that best served justice.

During one case that garnered significant public attention, Judge Renfrew found a slight woman with a scar on her forehead had snuck into his chambers. She asked him for help contacting her father who was in prison. At the time there were rumors of a kidnapping plot by the Manson followers to trade a judge for Manson’s release. After the woman left, Judge Renfrew learned that this was Squeaky Fromme from the Manson "family” who later attempted to assassinate President Gerald Ford.

In 1980 President Jimmy Carter appointed him Deputy Attorney General of the United States under Benjamin Civiletti. One of his more significant charges in this role was defending the DOJ’s actions to Congress around the Cuban-Haitian crisis when tens of thousands of people immigrated to the U.S. The special status of Cubans created by the Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966 after the Bay of Pigs provided a more direct route to citizenship for Cuban immigrants than their Haitian counterparts. Senator Ted Kennedy, who was challenging President Carter for the democratic nomination, charged that the Justice Department had unfairly favored Cuban immigrants over Haitians. Judge Renfrew demonstrated that the policies grew from the laws Congress had put in place, not the DOJ.

After his government service, Judge Renfrew returned to private practice, and in 1983 became Vice President and General Counsel of Chevron Corporation. He spent a decade with the company and oversaw its acquisition and merger with Gulf Oil.

In 1998, at the age of 70, Judge Renfrew started a new law practice specializing in arbitrations, mediations, and internal corporate investigations. One of his first assignments was on a panel to oversee the investigation of David Hale, a central witness in the Whitewater investigation, to determine whether Hale had received payments from conservative opponents of President Clinton during Kenneth Starr’s investigation. Other prominent disputes included a fight between the states of Alabama, Georgia and Florida over allocation of water from common river basins; and a $72 billion claim by Native Americans over the misuse of Indian trust funds. For 14 years, he served as a court appointed representative in four Asbestos Settlement Trusts which totaled $2.3 billion. He also served for a decade as a public director of the California Power Exchange.

Judge Renfrew has been active in a wide range of community organizations, including as a trustee of Princeton University, and on the boards of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights, the Council of Civic Unity, Claremont University Center, the San Francisco Symphony, and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. He taught trial advocacy and other courses at University of California, Berkeley, School of Law.

Among his many professional associations, Judge Renfrew was honored to serve as President of the American College of Trial Lawyers, as well as a Fellow, Regent and Treasurer. He was Vice Chairman of the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association, and was on its Standing Committee on Federal Judiciary. He served as a member of a number of legal organizations including, the American Law Institute, the American Judicature Society, the Association of General Counsel, the Legal Advisory Committee of the New York Stock Exchange, and he served as Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, Chairman of the Advisory Board of International and Comparative Law Center of the Southwestern Legal Foundation, Chairman of the General Committee on Law for the American Petroleum Institute, and Chairman of the Special Committee to Study the Problem of Discovery of the Federal Judicial Center.

Judge Renfrew is survived by his wife of 33 years, Barbara Jones Renfrew, 8 of his children, 21 grandchildren, and two great grandchildren, as well as rivers around the world full of relieved trout. He was preceded in death by his daughter. A memorial service will be held at the Episcopal Church of St. Mary the Virgin on January 6, 2018. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund.

March 29, 1930 - November 26, 2017

By John Gilbert:  As some of you already know, my dad passed away last night, less than one hour before my arrival in Michigan for a visit. He'd been in a slow decline since last summer, when he spent considerable time recovering from a lengthy hospital stay.  We spoke on the phone several times a week, visited MI as often as possible, and mom & dad made it to Milwaukee or Atlanta numerous times over the years.
     From 1962 until he retired in 1995, Norman Gilbert was Manager of International Licensing and Sales at The Budd Company, where he worked mainly in Europe, Latin America and the Far East. His activities involved market research and promotional work, preparation of proposals, negotiation of license contracts (mainly for technology transfer and intellectual property rights) and the administration of these contracts. Prior to his position at The Budd Company, he worked for 5 years in international sales engineering in the machine tool industry. He held degrees in mechanical engineering from Princeton University (B.S. in 1952) in industrial engineering from Columbia University (M.S. in 1954) and served three years in army Counter-Intelligence in Europe (1954 to 1957). He spoke German, Spanish and French and had a working knowledge of Italian, Portuguese and Chinese. He was very active over the years in a number of international business organizations, as well as technical societies.
     He put me through school here and abroad, saw my brother Roy & I get married, helped me experience other countries over the years, welcomed his two grandchildren Ian Gilbert and Collin Gilbert (now both 30) in to the world, and made many amazing memories for me.  
Even one year ago at age 86, he was still teaching Spanish at the local senior center, taking tai chi classes, and playing the piano.  
     I'll miss him.  
John has posted photos at the following facebook page:

August 12, 1930 - November 13, 2017

Brightman, Harry P. 87, died November 13, 2017. He was born in Washington, DC, to Harry Prentiss and Ethel Marie Brightman. He attended Randolph Macon Academy, and graduated from Princeton University in 1952. He then served in the U.S. Navy for two years.  He joined the family business in St. Louis in 1954, as Vice President. 

He is survived by his wife Virginie Haffenreffer Brightman, daughters Allison Patella (John), of Denver; Carolyn Kroenlein, of Fenton; his sister Lois Jackson, of Albuquerque and sister-in-law, Ann Brightman, of St. Louis. He was preceded in death by his son Peter Brightman and his brother John Brightman. Survived also by his grandchildren Nick Patella, Sam Patella; Jeff Dunn; Kelsey Kroenlein; Peter Brightman; Justin Brightman; great-grandson Mavrik Patella. In addition, Harry was devoted to his many extended family members. 

Harry was active in the Princeton Club of St. Louis, and served on the boards of Whitfield School and the Repertory Theatre. His interests included baseball, tennis, films and reading. He enjoyed many happy years in both Sanibel Island and at Mount Hope Farm in Rhode Island. Services: 

A Memorial Service will be conducted at Christ Lutheran Church, 1 Selma Ave., Webster Groves, 63119, on Monday, November 20, at 11:00 a.m. Following the service, a reception will be held at the Church. In lieu of flowers, memorials appreciated to the Missouri Botanical Garden, 4344 Shaw Blvd., St. Louis, 63110 or to the charity of one's choice.

September 25, 1930 - October 31, 2017

Dr. Irvin Cohen Jr., 87, passed away Oct. 31, 2017, at the Maine Veterans' Home in Scarborough, from complications of pneumonia and Parkinson's disease. He is sorely missed by his family and friends.

Irv was born and raised in Trenton, N.J. He graduated from the Lawrenceville School in 1948, and from Princeton University in 1952 (magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa).  He enlisted in the Army Counterintelligence Corps near the end of the Korean War and studied German at the Army Language School. He deployed to Germany, where he perfected his German and started a lifelong hobby of speaking German and maintaining lifelong friendships with people he met while there.

After the Army, Irv found his true vocation and completed his Ph.D. in clinical psychology at Teachers' College, Columbia University, in 1962, followed by a postdoctoral year at the University of Wisconsin Medical School. Later he worked in Trenton and Philadelphia before moving to Maine in 1966 to join Maine Medical Center's Child Psychiatry Unit.

Irv then started a private therapy and consulting practice, one of the first full-time practices in Maine, and retired in 2008. He focused on child and family therapy and in later years concentrated on stress management and adult Gestalt therapy. He also served as president of the Maine Psychological Association and was a member of the Psychology Board of Examiners.  Irv's book, "The Ever Evolving Therapist," was published in 1998, and is a very personal work about his approach to therapy. He loved his work and cared deeply about his patients.

Irv met Jacki Fishbein at Trails' End Camp in Pennsylvania where they were both counselors. After a three-year, long distance courtship, they married in 1960 and settled in Portland in 1966. It was "the end of the trail" for both of them, and they recently celebrated their 57th wedding anniversary. Son Jim arrived in 1965, and daughter Halley in 1967.

Irv had a lifelong love of running starting in the 1940s, only hanging up his running shoes at 77 due to the effects of Parkinson's. He started running on Portland's Baxter Boulevard in the 1960s before there was a path, calling himself "the first jogger" because so few others were running at that time. Exercise was a major passion, and he encouraged the family in these pursuits, including tennis, cross-country skiing (particularly the ups rather than the downs!), swimming, and hiking.

Irv loved spending time with family and exercising "at the Lake" on Hancock Pond in Denmark. He played piano and loved jazz, particularly Dixieland jazz. He also loved foreign travel and, in later life, traveled extensively with Jacki. Above all, Irv had a quick wit and enjoyed puns -- the more groans, the better.

Irv was predeceased by his parents, Edith Levin and Irvin Cohen Sr.; and sister, Natalie Werksman, and Melvin Werksman.  He is survived by his wife, Jacki; son, James Cohen, and Joan Friedman Cohen, of Portland; daughter, Halley Cohen, and Willem Kuyken, of Oxford, England; and grandchildren, Zoe and Ava Kuyken, and Spencer and Devon Cohen.

The family gives heartfelt thanks to the Maine Veterans' Home for the kind and professional care they provided. We were comforted by the warmth and affection they showed to Irv, and we always knew they were giving him the best care possible. We also thank Compassus Hospice Care for the excellent service they provided to Irv. He sang to all the staff and told them his stories, and they welcomed him into their hearts.

A memorial service will be held at Temple Beth El in Portland on Sunday, Nov. 5, at 2:30 p.m. The family welcomes well-wishers to join them for Shiva, a time to gather together to remember Irv, at the home of Jim and Joan Cohen, 62 Deepwood Dr., Portland, Monday, Nov. 6, from 6:30-8:30 p.m.

Instead of flowers, please consider donating to the
Maine Parkinson Society
359 Perry Road
Bangor, ME 04401

August 23, 1930 - August 31, 2017

Obituary for the Royal Society of Canada   
Professor Emeritus at the University of Toronto, distinguished Blake scholar, globe-trotting academic and raconteur extraordinaire, Jerry Bentley died on 31 August 2017 at the age of 87. Jerry was born in 1930 in Chicago to Gerald Eades Bentley and Esther Greenwood Felt. He received a B.A. from Princeton in 1952, and a B.Litt. (1954) and D.Phil. (1956) from Oxford University, writing all three of his theses on William Blake. In 1956 Jerry became an English instructor at the University of Chicago and in 1960 moved to the University of Toronto, where he remained for the rest of his career, retiring as an emeritus professor of English in 1996. He continued his research, scholarly writing and publishing until the month he died.

He married Elizabeth Budd in 1952 and they had two daughters, Sarah ‘80 and Julia ‘81. Beth was an active contributor to Jerry's research, a force majeure in organizing memorable dinner parties for faculty and graduate students, ýand a co-conspirator in planning academic travels and whimsical adventures around the world. Jerry was a Fulbright lecturer at the Université d’Algers in Algeria in 1967–1968, the University of Poona in India, 1975–1976, and Fudan University in China in 1982–1983. He was a visiting professor at the University of Hyderabad in India in 1988, and at the Australian Defense Force Academy in 1997. He was also a visiting resident professor at Princeton in 1992, the National Library of Australia, 1989, Rockefeller Study Center in Bellagio, Italy, 1991, Merton College, Oxford University, 1993, and Hatfield College, Durham University, 1996.

Jerry was the author and editor of over thirty books and numerous articles, primarily on William Blake. Books include Blake records: documents (1714–1841) concerning the life of William Blake (1757–1827) and his family, incorporating Blake Records(1969),Blake Records Supplement, and extensive discoveries since 1988(2004);The Stranger from Paradise: a biography of William Blake(2001);Blake books supplement: a bibliography of publications and discoveries about William Blake, 1971–1992, being a continuation of Blake Books (1977)(1995);Blake studies in Japan: a bibliography of works on William Blake published in Japan 1893–1993(1994); ed.,William Blake's Writings, 2 vols. (1978). His articles appeared in journals such as Times Literary Supplement, Blake Quarterly and Notes and Queries. Jerry’s scholarly achievements have been recognized through honors and awards that include the Jenkins Award for Bibliography in 1978, and election to the Royal Society of Canada in 1985.

Jerry and Beth were avid book collectors and in 2006 they donated their Blake Collection to the Victoria University Library at the University of Toronto. It is the most important Blake collection in Canada and through the stewardship of the library it continues to grow.

Donations in his memory may be made to the Victoria University Library where Jerry's Blake Collection lives on:

June 24, 1930 - September 10, 2017

Geoffrey Nunes, of Westwood, Massachusetts, September 10.  Beloved husband of Clare M. [Harwood] and dear father of Maggie Rogers of Owings Mills, Maryland, Geoffrey Nunes Jr. of Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, and Jake K. Nunes of Sudbury, Massachusetts.  Dear brother of Donald [deceased], and loving grandfather of Ada, Emmett, Nicole, Hadleigh, Alex, Samantha, and Claudia.  

June 24, 1930 - July 10, 2017

Roger Allan Wilson, 87, a longtime resident of Waynesboro and recently of Stuarts Draft, Virginia, died Monday, July 10, 2017, at King's Daughters in Staunton. Born June 24, 1930, in Newark, New Jersey, he was the son of the late S. Ralph and Ruth Donaldson Wilson. Roger grew up in Caldwell, NJ, graduating from Grover Cleveland High School. He attended Princeton University and the University of Louisville en route to his degree in Chemical Engineering.

Roger served in the U.S. Army and spent time in the Army Security Agency in Fort Devens near Boston, MA. After his service in the U.S. Army, Roger returned to New Jersey and worked at Repauno Works in the Explosive Department for DuPont. He transferred to the Dacron Plant in Kinston, NC, where both of his children were born. Roger then became involved in the development of Nomex fiber in the Benger Laboratory of the Waynesboro DuPont Plant. Roger was active in his church where he served as both deacon and elder, and enjoyed adding his bass voice to the church choir. Roger enjoyed cooking for church suppers, and distributed hundreds of loaves of banana bread at Christmas time over the years.

He is survived by his wife, Helen M. Wilson of Stuarts Draft, son and daughter-in-law, Bruce Allan and Jacki Wilson of Baltimore, MD, and daughter and son-in-law, Janet and Scott Velenovsky of Montpelier, VA, twin sister, Grace Millspaugh, and nephew, Mark Millspaugh of Ohio; and grandson, Matthew Wilson of Baltimore, MD. A memorial service will be conducted at 1:00 pm on Saturday, August 12, at Church of the Brethren, 364 Bridge Avenue, Waynesboro, by Rev. Glen A. Holman of Hope Community Church. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations can be made to the Building Fund of Hope Community Church.

November 4, 1929 - June 9, 2017
George C. Kline, Sr., 87, of Bethlehem, PA, passed away at home on Friday, June 9, 2017. He was the son of the late Agnes (Kacsur) and George C. Kline. George was the loving husband of Elizabeth A. (Tachovsky) Kline. 

George was a very active member of St. Ursula Church. He was a lector, Eucharistic Minister and was a member of the Holy Name Society at church. George was a graduate of Allentown Central Catholic and Perkiomen Prep. He was a member of Princeton University's class of 1952 and a member of the 1950 undefeated, Lambert Cup and Ivy League championship football team. 

After operating the family business, Kline's Beverage, George was the manager of Bethlehem Sporting Goods for many years. He loved to garden and go to the beach with his family. Faith and family were the most important things to George. 

Survivors: He will be lovingly remembered by his wife of 61 years, Elizabeth Kline; children, Mary Beth Kline Mulicka, George C. Kline, Jr. and his wife Annette, Anne Kline Pohanka and her husband, Geoffrey, Regina Kline, Dr. Kathleen Kline Mangione and her husband Carl and Connie Kline Wiegers and her husband Alex; 13 grandchildren; 7 great grandchildren; sister, Jacqueline Burke and her husband Richard and sister in law, Anne Marie Kline. George was preceded in death by his brother Edward Kline.

August 3, 1930 - May 31, 2017

August 20, 1930 - May 23, 2017
Dr. Jerome W. Canter of Bethesda, MD, died peacefully on Tuesday, May 23, 2017, at the age of 86, after a long battle with congestive heart failure. Born on August 20, 1930, in Washington, DC, devoted grandson to Jacob and Annie Canter, and Jacob and Fanny Wolf; devoted son to Hattie Wolf of Washington, DC and Edward (Ned) of Gardner, Maine, Jerry is survived by his beloved wife, Dorothy; four cherished sons, Douglas (Virginia Rafalko), David (Lisa Strope), Robert (Amanda Wasylik), and Daniel (Susan Smith); and 10 wonderful grandchildren, Elizabeth, Edward, John, Sara, Madeline, Nicholas, Sophie, Charlotte, Graham, and Theodore; and adorable great grandchild, Margaret. 

After growing up in St. Albans, New York, and graduating from Brooklyn Tech High School (class of '48), Jerry attended Princeton University (class of '52), graduated from George Washington University Medical School (class of '55), and subsequently completed a five-year surgical residency at New York's Mount Sinai Hospital. In 1958, during his residency, Jerry participated as a member of the team that performed the first open heart operation in New York City. 

From 1960 to 1962, Jerry served in the U.S. Navy, first as a Lieutenant and then Lieutenant Commander, serving part of that time as the surgical officer on the U.S.S. Intrepid, deployed to the Mediterranean with the Sixth Fleet. He then located to the Washington, DC Metropolitan area where he met and married Dorothy and developed a successful surgical career. From 1995 to 1997, while still a practicing surgeon, Jerry attended the Executive MBA program at the New York University Stern School of Business, receiving his MBA degree. 

In 2004, Jerry retired from a fulfilling 42-year career as a general surgeon and began his second career as a financial investment advisor, a job he enjoyed for another 12 years. A devoted husband, father, and, grandfather; and skilled surgeon, trusted friend, and honored mentor, Jerry's full and accomplished life was filled with love and camaraderie. The family will hold a memorial celebration on June 16, 2017, at 1 p.m. at the Cosmos Club, 2121 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made in Jerry's name to Sixth & I Synagogue, Washington, DC, (202) 408-3100; or Princeton University, "Class of 1952 Annual Giving Fund," (800) 258-5421. 

October 19, 1930 - May 12, 2017

On May 12, 2017. Beloved husband of Joan (nee Nadler). Devoted father of Nancy Ginsberg (Fredric) and Amy Brantz Bedrick (Edward). Loving grandfather of Daniel Ginsberg (Meaghan O'Connor), Rose Ginsberg (Ben Allard), Hannah Ginsberg (Bob Proctor), and Nina Bedrick. Loving great grandfather of Samuel Ginsberg. 

He was an Eagle Scout, and graduated from Central High School, Class 189, Princeton University, and Harvard Law School. Mr. Brantz served in the Army during the Korean War and rose to the rank of Major in the Army Reserves. He was a Partner at Wolf Block Schorr and Solis-Cohen. Past president of HIAS, he served on multiple boards including the Jane Austen Society of North America, Morris Arboretum, and Reform Congregation Keneseth Israel. He was a supporter of many liberal, environmental and social service organizations, including the Southern Poverty Law Center, the ACLU, Delaware River Keepers, and was a founding member of Common Cause. 

He loved his family, sailing, and hiking and traveling in England. Memorial Service was held Monday 1 P.M. at Keneseth Israel, Elkins Park, PA. The family received guests at the Bedrick residence Monday.

October 30, 1930 - May 5, 2017

George E.P. Buxton, M.D., 86, of Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, husband of Rebecca Thompson Buxton, entered into eternal rest Friday, May 5, 2017. His funeral service was be held Wednesday, May 10, 2017 in St. Andrews Church Mount Pleasant, 440 Whilden Street, at 1:00 p.m. The family received friends on Tuesday, May 9, 2017, in the J. HENRY STUHR, INC., MOUNT PLEASANT CHAPEL, from 4:00 p.m until 6:00 p.m. A private interment will be held in Indiantown Presbyterian Churchyard in Hemingway, SC.

George was born October 30, 1930 in Sumter, SC, son of the late Julian Thomas Buxton and the late Lucy Wilson Buxton. He was a graduate of Woodberry Forest School, Princeton University and the Medical University of South Carolina. He served in the United States Navy. George was a retired anesthesiologist and a member of St. Andrews Church Mount Pleasant.

In addition to his wife Rebecca, he is survived by his daughter Elizabeth Preot Buxton Covington (Middleton Samuel Clayton Covington, M.D.) of Charleston, SC,his daughter Paula Buxton Smith (Donald E. Smith, Jr.) of Atlanta, Georgia; his daughter Sarah Risher Ingram Buxton of Mt. Pleasant, SC; his son Mills Blake Buxton (Courtney Faust Buxton) of Mt. Pleasant, SC; his daughter Rebecca Buxton Walling Goggans (Craig Edward Goggans) of Austin, TX; his son George Edward Preot Buxton, Jr. (David Eugene Erb) of Goose Creek, SC; and his daughter Louisa Buxton Hansen (Christian Dyrlund Hansen) of Greenville, SC; his brother John S.W. Buxton (Caroline Buxton) of Union, SC, his sister Elizabeth B. Dietz (Burt Dietz) of Raleigh, NC; his grandchildren, Middleton Samuel Clayton Covington, Jr. (Kristen Leigh Eads Covington), Sarah Elizabeth Preot Covington, Laurah Lee Rivers Covington, Benjamin Harrison Andrew Covington, Thomas Howard Stewart Covington, Sarah Margaret Smith, Anna Elizabeth Faulkner Smith, Mills Blake Buxton, Jr., Robert Claiborne Buxton, Edward Clayton Walling, Christian Dyrlund Hansen, Jr., Isabella Louisa Anne Hansen, and Alexander Ingram Thompson Hansen; and his great-grandchildren, Ivor Benjamin Eads Covington, and Juno Leigh Rivers Covington.

August 6, 1929 - April 7, 2017

Samuel H. Tucker, 86, formerly of Chestnut Hill, a pediatric neurologist, died April 7 at his home in Galena, Md., where he had been living since 1996.  Dr. Tucker retired in 2000 after 38 years as a pediatric neurologist at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, specializing in epilepsy. He also taught for 20 years as an associate professor of neurology at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School.

Raised in Chestnut Hill, he was a graduate of Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire and Princeton University, majoring in astronomy. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School and completed a year’s residency at Pennsylvania Hospital and Queens Hospital in London.  Dr. Tucker served in the U.S. Naval Reserves, retiring with the rank of captain.

He loved sailing, architecture and photography and had a lifelong interest in raising exotic birds.

He is survived by his wife of 38 years, Robin Stockton Tucker. Because of his interest in astronomy, he and his wife chose to be married on shipboard on the Black Sea during the 20th century’s last total eclipse of the sun on August 11, 1999. This inspired the ship’s first ever on-board wedding with the captain giving Mrs. Tucker away.

He is also survived by sons, Alden S. Tucker, of Newport, R.I., and Dr. Robertson B. Tucker, of Philadelphia; their mother, Martha; a twin sister, Elizabeth Tucker Ripley, of Philadelphia; stepdaughters Susan Laquintano, of Galena, Md., Jacqueline Moses, of Earleville, Md., Crissa Robin Carroll, of Kempton, Pa., and Ellisa Beth Budnick, of Rome, Ga.; a stepson, Matthew Justus, of Cecilton, Md.; one grandson; and 14 step-grandchildren whom he helped raise.

A family service will be held at a later date at Ivy Hill Cemetery in the Cedarbrook section of Philadelphia.

October 22, 1930 - April 26, 2017
John Carl Peak was born in Denver, CO, to Paul Reed and Verl Nicol Peak. He received his BS in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University and MS and PhD in Nuclear Engineering from MIT. 

He was employed by Sandia Corporation in Albuquerque, NM, before going to OCS and his Navy service from 1954 to 1957. He was stationed at the Naval Mine Depot in Yorktown, VA. In Williamsburg, he met Ernestine Barton Cox of Warrenton, VA, and on November 12, 1955 they married. John's naval service ended in June of 1955 and his life at MIT began in September of that year. We had a grand tour of Europe before the hard work of graduate school. Upon graduation, John accepted a position with General Atomic in San Diego. His final career years were spent as director of the engineering and science courses at the UCSD Extension Program. 

During retirement, he researched and wrote a book, "We Are Commanded To Love," with niece Marty Peak Helman about John's grandfather, a circuit riding Methodist-Episcopal preacher in Illinois. John was a member of Tau Beta Pi, La Jolla Presbyterian Church, the Golden Triangle Rotary Club, the La Jolla Professional Men's Society, and The 12:30 Club. He played drums in various bands and had eclectic musical interests. He is survived by his wife Ernestine, sons Brian (Cheryl), and Alan, granddaughters Rebecca, and Sarah Stevenson (John), and great-grandchildren Alex, Katie, and Anna Stevenson.

September 8, 1930 - March 27, 2017

          John David Herbert, 86, died at his home in Cincinnati, Ohio, on March 27, 2017.  Born: September 08, 1930, Died: March 27, 2017.   Family and friends will gather to celebrate his life on Monday, April 3, at Wyoming Baptist Church. Visitation will begin at 9:30 A.M. followed by a funeral service at 10:30 A.M. Interment will be at St. Mary's Cemetery in St. Bernard, Ohio. In lieu of flowers, gifts to Wyoming Baptist Church or Culver Military Academy are welcome.
          John Herbert was born on September 8, 1930, in Columbus, Ohio. He was the son of former Ohio Governor Thomas J. HerbertaAnd Jeanette Helen (Judson) Herbert. John graduated with honors from Culver Military Academy before attending Princeton University. After graduation, John enlisted in the U.S. Army, and was awarded the Bronze Star medal for Meritorious Service in the Korean War. Upon his return from Korea, John entered the University of Michigan Law School, where he earned his Juris Doctorate. John worked as an Assistant in yhe Ohio Attorney General's Office until he was elected to serve as Ohio's State Treasurer from 1963 to 1971. Following his retirement from public service, John worked as legal counsel for the Ace Doran Hauling and Rigging Company in Cincinnati. 
          John and his wife, Eunice, both music lovers, have been active members of the Village Voices and the Wyoming Baptist Church Choir.  John and Eunice were married on November 23, 1990, at Wyoming Baptist Church. A reception was held at their home in Springfield. They enjoyed vacationing at the condo in Cozumel and in Florida with their friends from the Voices. They began flying kites at the beaches and became quite expert at it and also enjoyed snorkeling in the beautiful waters at Cozumel. At home they enjoyed short weekend trips on their motor scooters. John also became active again at Culver where he served on the Legion Board and helped to plan their alumni reunions. They both stayed active with the Village Voices, John as tenor and Eunice as accompanist, until the group disbanded after Christmas in 2012. The group had entertained at many places for 54 Years. 
          John was preceded in death by both of his parents, his brother Daniel Judson Herbert, his sister Metta Herbert Stevers Lewis, and his former wife, Joan Hoiles Herbert Voorhees. John is survived by his wife, Eunice Scherer Hagen Herbert, and her children Melissa Hagen and Thom Hagen.  John is also survived by hissSister, Rosemary H. Tolliver, and his children, John David Herbert Jr., Kathleen Granger, Martha Owen, Megan Hayden, Susan Bruner; and 16 grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren, 4 nieces And 2 nephews.

March 10, 1930 - April 3, 2017
          Donavin A. Baumgartner, Jr., 87, loving husband, father, and grandaddy, respected physician, wine connoisseur, and advocate of conservative causes, died April 3, 2017 at Moorings Park.
          A native of Cleveland, Ohio, Baumgartner is survived by his wife, Marilyn "Mickey" of 65 years; three children, Donavin (Chip) Baumgartner III, (wife, Diane) Peter (wife, Erin), and Karen Baumgartner Lambert (husband, Dale); eight grandchildren; Donavin IV, Erika, Peter, Daniel, Catherine and Rebecca and five great grandchildren; Donavin V, Ella, Leon, Anjela, and Owen.
           Following in the steps of his grandfather and father, Baumgartner decided to pursue a career as a physician. After earning an undergraduate degree from Princeton University, Baumgartner entered Harvard University Medical School where he graduated with honors. He was also a member of Phi Beta Kappa Society.
          Baumgartner's medical career spanned four decades with most of his professional life being spent at Cleveland's St. Luke's Hospital, where he was double-boarded in surgery and emergency medicine. He acted as the hospital's Director of Emergency Services from 1982 to 1993 and, for most of those years, also as Director of Trauma Services. Baumgartner also served as President of the Academy of Medicine of Cleveland, and the Ohio State Medical Association.
          During his academic and medical career, Baumgartner was a sports enthusiast, playing football at Princeton. He also appeared in many of the university's theatrical shows, including the Princeton Triangle Show which was performed on the Ed Sullivan television show in 1952.
           He later became a successful amateur racing car driver. At one time in the mid-1970s he held racing lap records at Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio and Nelsons Ledges road courses.
          A lover of fine wine, particularly Bordeaux, Baumgartner was responsible for establishing the first Commanderie de Bordeaux chapter in Naples in the late 1990s. He served as its head, or "Maitre" for over 10 years and was responsible for growing the chapter from a handful of Bordeaux enthusiasts to over 35 members today.
           He made many trips to Bordeaux, visiting the finest Chateaus such as Lafite Rothschild, Chateau Margaux and La Tour. Baumgartner's private cellar spanned over 2,500 bottles of wine from regions that included not only Bordeaux, but also Burgundy and Champagne. 
          Despite his many accomplishments in the medical field and serving as head of the Commanderie de Bordeaux, Baumgartner probably is best known to Naples residents because of the many "Letters to the Editor" he wrote to the Naples Daily News supporting the conservative political point of view. Baumgartner Letter writing "campaigns" began when he was a doctor in Cleveland. His letters to the editor appeared often in the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
           Baumgartner also loved to travel, was a member of the St. Andrew's Society which promotes Scottish heritage, was a pilot, horseman, loved animals and will always be affectionately known to many as Father Christmas. 
          A memorial service will be held on Saturday April 8th at 2:30 p.m. at the Bower Memorial Chapel in Moorings Park. 

November 18, 1930 - March 16, 2017

          Donald M. Malehorn, age 86, passed away on March 16, 2017 after a brief battle with leukemia. Constantly in motion, he was a funny, well-loved attorney, hockey player, avid sports fan and Princeton University advocate. He will most be remembered as the patriarch of his family where he reigned as husband to Carol O'Neill, father to Robert, Richard and Beth, and grandfather to six. He was known as "Red" to his childhood friends and "Chief" to his grandchildren. He grew up and lived his life in Morristown NJ, graduating from Morristown High School in 1948, Princeton University in 1952, and Columbia Law School in 1955. After a brief stint in the US Navy, he practiced law in Morristown, partnering with childhood friend Stephen B. Wiley. He was the attorney for the Morris School District for many decades, dedicated board member of the Morris Educational Foundation, and an enthusiastic member of Kiwanis. He enjoyed life to the fullest as well as his career refusing to retire until he was 79 years old.
          Contributions in his memory can be made to the Morris Education Foundation:  Morris Education Foundation, c/o Morristown High School, 50 Early Street, Morristown, NJ 07960, or
          There will be a memorial celebration of his life on May 6 at the Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, NJ 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
          Published in Daily Record on Mar.22,2017

John Alexander McGhie

June 23, 1930 - January 17, 2017

          SCARBOROUGH - John Alexander (Alex) McGhie, most recently of Scarborough, died on Jan. 17, 2017 at the age of 86.  Alex was born in Evanston Ill, on June 23, 1930, to Malcolm Stuart McGhie and Elizabeth Drake Platt. The family soon moved to New Canaan, Conn. where he spent his formative years. He attended the Little Red School House before entering The Taft School, where he excelled in mathematics. He earned a B.S. in chemistry from Princeton University, Class of 1952, and was a member of the Key & Seal Club there.
          Alex joined the Navy and served as an officer onboard the "tin can" USS Everett F. Larson from 1952 to 1954. His service was a defining personal achievement of which he often proudly remarked. 
          He married Diana Brothers of Greenwich, Conn. in 1956. Alex and Diana started their lives together in New York City, but moved to Garrison, N.Y. after their first daughter, Claire, was born. There they raised Claire and her siblings, Andrea, Gordon, and Mark, until their divorce in 1980. Alex and Diana rekindled their friendship later in life and remained devoted friends to the end.
          Alex left the R&D Department of the St. Regis Paper Company to partner with his father and brother, Bruce, in McGhie Associates, Inc., a corporate communications firm on Madison Avenue, NYC, where Alex specialized in financial writing for the timber, paper, and insurance industries. The firm relocated to New Haven, Conn. in the mid-1980s, at which time Alex established residence in Lyme, Conn. 
          Lyme provided convenient access to the ocean and he became an accomplished sailor. He sailed single-handedly between Connecticut and Downeast Maine countless times. He was a gifted skier, a sport he took up as a child and continued into his mid-70s. He was an accomplished amateur photographer of great skill and sensitivity.
          After his retirement from business in 1989 he soon realized that he was happiest in Maine and left Connecticut for Cutler. He loved DownEast Maine and was heartbroken when age-related infirmities necessitated his relocation to Portland.
          Alex was affectionately referred to as "Grumpy" by his family, a moniker he gamely considered apt.  He is survived by four loving children, Claire McGhie of Edgewater N.J., Andrea West of Ossining N.Y., Gordon McGhie of Cortlandt Manor N.Y. and Mark McGhie; and daughter-in-law Tracy of Portland. His grandchildren are Alexis Bruno, Taylor and Katie West, Drake and Cole McGhie; he has three great-grandchildren.  A celebration of Alex's life is being planned. Persons interested in attending may inquire at .    Current photo by Mark McGhie

August 8, 1930 - February 25, 2017

William Lee Pritchard, M.D. died peacefully on February 25, 2017, in Charlotte, N.C. He was born on August 8, 1930, in Hoboken, New Jersey, the eldest child of Mary Warnike and Newman Lee Pritchard.

Bill was valedictorian of his class at Morristown High School, graduated from Princeton University in 1952, and then attended Johns Hopkins Medical School. While in medical school, Bill met the love of his life, the late Kathryn McLaren Pritchard. They were married in January, 1957. After completing his internship at the National Institute of Health, where he served in the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, Bill followed a mentor from Johns Hopkins to the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta, Georgia. He was Chief Resident in Neurosurgery from 1960 to 1963 and one of the early graduates of that program. The Pritchards then moved to Charlotte where Bill established his medical practice.

Bill was a gifted neurosurgeon who saved or improved thousands of lives over his long career. He cared deeply about his patients and their families. He was a state representative to the Council of State Neurological Societies for several years. He never lost his passion for the practice of medicine. He also applied his intellect (and fine motor skills) to interests as varied as architectural design, oil painting and restoring cars. He was a licensed pilot and general contractor, an avid tennis player, golfer and life-long sailor.

He designed and built the interior of a home in Hope Town, Abaco, which became the beloved destination of many family vacations and a retirement home. Bill put his wood crafting and contractor skills to work- handling all home repair and maintenance and restoring several boats. He became an integral part of the Hope Town community- often providing emergency medical care for residents and tourists and singing in the St. James Methodist Church choir.

He loved music and sang in the Princeton Glee Club, for the Oratorio Singers of Charlotte and the Cumberland Oratorio Singers. He derived great joy from singing with the St. Peter’s Episcopal Church choir for the last seventeen years of his life and the many friends he met through the choir.

Most of all, Bill had a kind and generous nature. He was known for always offering help to those in need; he volunteered with Habitat for Humanity for many years and attended every Good Fellows annual lunch for more than 50 years.

He is preceded in death by his wife, Kathryn McLaren Pritchard and survived by his daughter Leslie Pritchard and Lance Krolczyk of Minocqua Wisconsin, his son William McLaren Pritchard and his wife Margaret Huckabee of Charlotte, daughter Amy Pritchard Williams and her husband Philip Williams; and nine grandchildren - Allison Penning, Chrissy Stephens, Sarah Anderson and Lacey Baccich; Kelly, Alex and Isabel Williams; and Ellen and Elizabeth Pritchard, his sister Joyce Furst, brother Robert Pritchard and many nieces and nephews. The Pritchard family extends its deep appreciation to dear friend Elizabeth Hardrick.

A memorial service will be held at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Center City Charlotte on Friday, March 3 at 11:00 a.m. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to St. Peter’s Episcopal Church.

December 2, 1930 – February 18, 2017
Benjamin Allston Moore, Jr., 86, of Charleston, SC, husband of Judith Reed Moore, died peacefully Saturday, February 18, at his home on Tradd Street surrounded by his family. His Funeral Service will be held Wednesday, February 22, 2017, St. Michael's Church, 71 Broad Street, 11:00 a.m. Interment, churchyard. The family will receive friends Tuesday from 4:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. at 30 Tradd Street, Charleston. Arrangements by J. Henry Stuhr, Inc. Downtown Chapel.

 A native Charlestonian, Ben was born on December 2, 1930, the son of Benjamin Allston Moore and Susan Middleton Rutledge Moore. Ben's early education began at Miss Sadie Jervey's school followed by Charleston Day School and the Gaud School. Ben was a 1948 graduate of Episcopal High School in Alexandria, VA, where he received the Randolph Fairfax Memorial Medal for Character, Conduct, and Scholarship. He continued his education at Princeton University where he was a member of the University Cottage Club and the track team, winning the Ivy League championship for the broad jump. Ben also completed the Naval ROTC program.

 After his graduation in 1952, he entered the Navy where he served for two years aboard the USS Thomas E. Frasier, obtaining the rank of Lieutenant JG. Upon his discharge, he entered the University of Virginia School of Law where he was editor of the Virginia Law Weekly. After graduating from UVA in 1957, Ben moved back to Charleston and joined his father's law firm, Moore and Mouzon. In 1970, the firm merged with another local law firm to become Buist Moore Smythe & McGee with offices at 5 Exchange Street. Ben's practice focused primarily on Civil Litigation and Admiralty Law. 

Among his many professional accomplishments, Ben was the founder and first president of the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorney's Association, co-founder of the Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, member of the executive committee of the International Association of Defense Counsel, and president of the Charleston County Bar Association. 

Ben was actively involved in numerous charitable, civic and educational organizations, serving on the boards of Episcopal High School, St. Timothy's School, MUSC Health Sciences Foundation, Bishop Gadsden and the Charleston Library Society. He was especially passionate about Charleston Day School. He played an instrumental role in establishing it as a non-profit corporation in 1969, and became its first Chairman of the Board of Trustees. An avid outdoorsman, Ben loved sailing, hunting, and fishing throughout the Charleston Lowcountry. He was a member of the Megantic Fish and Game Club in Maine, and spent many wonderful years with his friends and family fly fishing for brook trout and enjoying his favorite cocktail at sunset overlooking Big Island Pond. One of Ben's greatest life experiences was being a co-owner of the Bon Ami, a 50-foot ketch, and sailing with close friends in the Expo '98 Round the World Rally. Ben was a member of the Society of the Cincinnati, the St. Cecilia Society, the Society of the Colonial Wars, the South Carolina Society, the Charleston Ancient Artillery Society, the St. George's Society, the Carolina Plantation Society and the Carolina Yacht Club. A lifelong member of St. Michael's Church, Ben served as both a Trustee and a Senior Warden. 

Predeceased by his beloved brother Benjamin Huger Rutledge Moore, Ben is survived by his wife, three children, eleven grandchildren, and a stepson: Margaret Charbonnier Moore Miller (Blair) of Pennington, NJ; Susan Middleton Rutledge Moore Hoogland (Keith) of Chicago, IL; Benjamin Allston Moore III (Caroline) of Charleston, SC; Bam and Dana Miller; McLain (Jessica), Alex, Kathleen Michalek (Chase), Ben, C.C., and Sam Hoogland; Allston, Emily, and Maggie Moore; and William Reed Rawlings (Betina). Memorials may be made to St. Michael's Church, 71 Broad Street, Charleston, SC 29401 or Charleston Day School, 15 Archdale Street, Charleston, SC 29401.

December 23, 1927 - January 20, 2017

Kenneth George Negus, 89, of Ewing, NJ, passed away suddenly at his residence on Friday, Jan. 20, 2017. Born in Council Bluffs, IA, he lived in Princeton, NJ, for many years before his recent move to Ewing. He earned his PhD from Princeton University and taught graduate level German literature at Princeton University, Harvard University, Northwestern University and Rutgers University. 

Kenneth served in the U.S. Army in Germany after the end of World War II. He co-founded the Astrological Society of Princeton and was its president for 44 years. He published Johannes Kepler's astrological writings, wrote poetry, loved to garden and cook, take walks, sing and play classical guitar. He was predeceased by his first wife, Joan Negus, in 1997. Surviving are his wife, Carol Raine; a daughter and son-in-law, Niki Giberson and Gary (Port Republic, NJ); two sons and daughters-in-law; Chris Negus and Sheree (Manchester, NH), and Jon Negus and Jacque (Palatine, IL), eight grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren. Visiting hours at the funeral home are Friday, Jan. 27 from 7 to 9 p.m. Funeral services will be held at the Kimble Funeral Home, 1 Hamilton Ave., Princeton, on Saturday, Jan. 28 at 3 p.m., followed by burial at Fountain Lawn Memorial Park in Ewing. Extend condolences and share memories at In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to the Astrological Society of Princeton.

October 3, 1930 - January 12, 2017
Ben H. Sparkman (as written by him) 

Trip Tik: Born 10/3/30 a sinner, Died 1/12/17 a saved believer
Church: Birth to 1939 East Dallas Christian. 1940-1958 HP Methodist, 1958-2017 HPPC, Graduated to the Church Triumphant 2017

Schools: Armstrong, UP, Highland Park High, 1946-48 New Mexico Military Institute, 1948-52 Princeton University, 1952-54 USAF, 1954 Gupton-Jones College of Mortuary Science

1958 Yea! Married Sally Ann Edmondson-My True Love! 1960 Here comes J. Howard. 1962 Hello Ben Jr. & later wife Linda. Jointly giving us seven grandchildren - Elisabeth, Daniel (Hilary), Catherine, Jonathan, Luci, Adele & Belle
An almost son, Ty Edmondson, wife, Dana, Sally and Gigi
I love them one and all the mostest…

1970 AIMS Testing-Only to find I should have been a teacher. Oh! So that's why I was so unfulfilled in my work which was in undertaking and followed with Insurance Implementation (pre-need), a concept never previously used in Texas.
Retiring at 62, Cissie & I invested in our sons' friends that were doing start-ups;
Some of which broke the bank. God is Good!
Lastly, in truth, I really did meet & chat with Albert Einstein. 

God Bless Everyone. Have a great life. I surely did!

The family would like to extend their profound thanks and appreciation to Kofi Ohene-Adomako, Pedro Esquivel, VNA Hospice nurses & the most awesome UP Fire Department for their wholehearted assistance & care for Dad.



Upcoming Events