Memorials 2011

The December 28 New York Times has a death notice for Constantine Sidamon-Eristoff '52.  Connie died December 26 in New York.  The death notice notes that he was "a prominent New York environmental attorney and former senior government official who was deepy involved in civic and charitable organizations."  He is survived by Anne, his wife of 54 years, his children Simon, Elizabeth, and Andrew and their spouses, and eight grandchildren.  Funeral services will be private.  A public memorial and celebration will be held in mid-February. 
         See also the interesting article about Connie in The New York Times of December 30, at

The New York Times on December 14 published a notice that our classmate Dr. Richard E. Glass died December 11, 2011.   Dick was a psychiatrist and a member of the faculty of Cornell College of Medicine in New York City.  His entry in the Book of Our History is interesting for its perceptive comments on the differences in the study body between our undergraduate years and the time of our 50th reunion.

Louis D. W. Parsons '52 died November 3, 2011.

Wladyslaw K. Troka '52 died November 9, 2011.  He was born in Poland and immigrated to the U.S. in 1949.  He studied engineering at Princeton and received his BS in electrical engineering in 1952.  After service in the Army and a few years with Bell Labs, he and his then wife went to California, which was his home for the rest of his life.  He got his PhD in physics from U.C. Berkeley, and taught physics at California State University in Sacramento for 25 years before retiring in 1992.  He is survived by his second wife, Catherine, and several children and step-children.  The editor of our 50th yearbook, the Book of Our History, found him apparently little interested in Princeton.

Classmate Bill Wilshire died on October 16.  Following is his obituary in The Daily Advance:
William Murray Wilshire Jr., of Kitty Hawk, formerly of Virginia Beach, Va., died on Oct. 16, 2011 after a brief illness. Bill was born Jan. 23, 1930 in Cambridge, Mass. to the late William M. Wilshire Sr. and Emilie Boyer Wilshire. He is survived by his two sisters, Susannah Wilshire Torem of Paris, France and Sally Wilshire Bruce of California; and by his three children, Susannah Wilshire Kramer and her husband, Dr. Michael Kramer, of East Hampton, N.Y., William M. Wilshire III and his wife, Karen, Mason Wilshire of Houston, Texas, and Emilie Boyer Wilshire of Houston, Texas. He is also survived by four grandchildren, Samuel Henry Kramer and Emilie Ji Kramer of Easthampton, N.Y. and William M. Wilshire IV and Claire Mason Wilshire of Houston, Texas; and by his two former wives, Ann Rigsbee Glenn, mother to his three children, and Betsy Seward Wilshire. Bill was a graduate of the Westminster School and a 1957 graduate of Princeton University where he majored in architecture, was a member of the Cap and Gown Club, and played on the varsity hockey and baseball teams. He also served in the U.S. Navy for four years during the Korean War. In 1959 Bill came to Virginia Beach to begin his career in architecture. He worked as an Associate at Oliver & Smith Architects in Norfolk and then later became a partner at another prominent local architectural firm. Beginning in the early 1980s, he established his own practice in Kitty Hawk, where he mastered the art of integrating current design with classical, historical principles and the natural surroundings. His professional accomplishments included many residential, commercial and public projects. He was a primary contributor to many award-winning designs and landmarks, such as the Norfolk Academy, Chrysler Hall, the Old Coast Guard Station Museum in Virginia Beach, the Dare County Welcome Center, and the Kitty Hawk Fire Station. The Dare County Welcome Center, hailed as "a handsome building, dignified by its simplicity," received a first place award from the U.S. Department of Transportation for Excellence in Highway Design in 1986. "Bill also designed nine homes in Edenton Bay, where his sensibilities were well suited to the local historical architecture Bill adhered to the highest standards throughout his architectural career and was equally exacting when it came to his many hobbies and intellectual pursuits. He was an ardent fan of Tar Heel basketball and of the Boston Red Sox. He was an exceptional golfer and hand ball player. He was a voracious reader, and in his retirement read all of the works of Charles Dickens, Mark Twain and other classics. He loved jazz music, the music of Frank Sinatra, the Italian language (which he taught himself) and drawing. He drew magnificent portraits of his grandchildren, sports figures, and the children of others. Perhaps most of all, he will be remembered for his quick wit, his madcap sense of humor, and his independent spirit. He will be sincerely missed by his family and friends. Memorial contributions may be made to a fund in his name at the Outer Banks Community Foundation, 13 Skyline Road, Southern Shores, NC 27949. Service will be private. H.D. Oliver Funeral Apts., Laskin Rd. Chapel is handling arrangements. Online condolences may be made at
Published in The Daily Advance on October 19, 2011

Franklin Swan Driggs '52 was found dead in his NYC apartment on September 20. 2011. Frank was a

collector of jazz memorabilia, especially photos. The following is from the obituary in the N.Y. Times for September 26, 2011:

Frank Driggs, a writer, historian and record producer who amassed what is considered the finest collection of jazz photographs in the world, was found dead on Tuesday at his home in Manhattan. He was 81.

In a series of bulging file cabinets in his Greenwich Village home, Mr. Driggs tenderly kept nearly 100,000 images, alphabetized by subject. To open any drawer was to be immersed in a world of spats, smoke and speakeasies, a world in which musicians routinely went on tour packing pistols to protect themselves from highway brigands.

His files groaned with the famous (more than 1,500 pictures of Duke Ellington, more than 500 of Count Basie), but they did not slight the obscure, including Countess Johnson, a vibrant Kansas City pianist who died young, of tuberculosis, in 1939.

Mr. Driggs also owned many sound recordings '; to him, there was no number lovelier than 78 '; and other permanent ephemera, like ticket stubs, posters and sheet music. As a whole, the Frank Driggs Collection was valued at $1.5 million, The New York Times reported in 2005. But it was the photographs that formed its vast, vast bulk. These Mr. Driggs supplied for a fee '; provided he took a liking to the person making the request '; to newspapers, magazines and television programs, conducting his business by telephone, electric typewriter and, more boldly in recent years, by fax machine. Mr. Driggs was a major contributor of still images, for instance, to"Jazz,';Ken Burns';s multipart TV documentary, first broadcast in 2001. Many of Mr. Driggs';s photos had been given to him by the musicians themselves during the decades he haunted New York jazz clubs. Others were publicity stills that he liberated '; they were, by his own account, orphans being callously cast aside '; from the files of Columbia Records, where he was once a producer. He trafficked in photographs from other genres too, like rock and country, because the market would bear them even if he personally could not. Visiting Mr. Driggs for a 2005 profile, a writer for Smithsonian magazine noted that in one cabinet Billy Strayhorn, the composer of "Lush Life'; and "Take the A Train,'; sat in front of Barbra Streisand. "As well he should,'; Mr. Driggs muttered in reply.

Mr. Driggs sometimes said he wished he had been born in 1890, so that he might have spent a halcyon young manhood in the Jazz Age. To his lifelong regret, Franklin Swan Driggs was born in 1930, on Jan. 29. He spent his early childhood in Manchester, Vt., where his father was a jazz musician.

An amateur trumpeter and fervent listener, Frank Driggs earned a bachelor';s degree in political science from Princeton in 1952 before moving to New York. He eventually joined Columbia Records, where he was primarily responsible for rereleasing old 78 records by some of the titans of the field.

Among the critically praised compilations Mr. Driggs produced was "Robert Johnson: King of the Delta Blues Singers,'; released in two volumes, in 1961 and 1970. The author of a profusion of liner notes, Mr. Driggs also wrote two books, "Black Beauty, White Heat: A Pictorial History of Classic Jazz, 1920-1950'; (1982, with Harris Lewine) and "Kansas City Jazz: From Ragtime to Bebop '; A History'; (2005, with Chuck Haddix).

Mr. Driggs';s wife, the former Shirley Kwartler, died more than 20 years ago. His longtime companion, Joan Peyser, the biographer of Leonard Bernstein and other musicians, died in April. Survivors include a stepbrother, Donald Brodie; a half sister, Jean Pfister; three stepchildren, Dean Melgar, Reade Melgar and Carla Sheil; step-grandchildren; step-great-grandchildren; and step-great-great-grandchildren.

Although Mr. Driggs talked publicly several years ago about selling his collection one day, in the end he did not '; partly, it appeared, because he simply could not. "I';ve collected this stuff,'; he told National Public Radioin 2005, "and I';m sure I';ll keep collecting till they lay me down.';

Harry E. Emlet Jr. '52 and Elinor K. Emlet (nee Stolee), long-time Falls Church, Va., residents who would have celebrated 60 years of marriage in October, died Sunday, Sept. 4, in a car accident near Seven Corners, on Arlington Boulevard in Falls Church.

Harry was 83 and Elinor was 85. 

They had recently moved to Goodwin House, an independent senior living residence in Falls Church, not far from the home where they had raised their family and lived for more than 40 years. They were an inseparable couple, had traveled the world together, and even in their mid-80s remained active and full of gusto for life. Their family and friends draw some comfort from the knowledge that they were not separated by death. 

Harry Elsworth Emlet Jr. was born Sept. 21, 1927, in Gettysburg, Pa., to Harry E. Emlet Sr. and Mary Jane (Myers) Emlet. He grew up on a farm just outside of New Oxford, and eventually moved into town when his father sold the farm to run the town mill and feed store and provide carpentry and furniture repair services.   He graduated Suma Cum Laude from Mercersburg (Pa.) Academy in 1945 and enlisted later that same year.  He was posted to the 179th Army Ground Forces Band in Camp Carson Colorado, where the Army was experimenting with the possibility of taking raw recruits and turning them into crack Ski Troops [he remained an avid skier for much of the rest of his life].   He completed his service in May 1947 and attended Princeton University that fall, studying aeronautical engineering.  Following an epiphany at the end of his junior year, he switched his major to philosophy and religious studies, and graduated with a B.A. in Religion in 1952.

Elinor Kathryn Stolee Emlet was born Sept. 19, 1925, in Tananarive, Madagascar, to Peter B. Stolee and Ragna (Lefsrud) Stolee.  Her parents were Lutheran missionaries from Alberta, Canada, and served in Madagascar with the Norwegian Lutheran Church in America.  She lived in Madagascar until age 4, then moved to St. Paul, Minn., where her father attended seminary.  The family returned to northern Alberta, where her father was assigned to a Native Canadian reserve for three years.  In 1936, the family returned to Madagascar and remained there through World War II.  After the war, she returned to Alberta and enrolled at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, where she studied history and French language. She received a bachelor of education degree in 1949. 

Harry and Elinor met at a Lutheran student conference in Minneapolis during the Christmas season in 1950, and they crossed paths again in summer 1951 on a Lutheran student tour of Scandinavia.  Harry proposed to her in Stockholm on July 31 asking that her dowry be 1-2 lbs. of Gjetost cheese [the North American version of Norwegian Brunost, resembling old fashioned brown lye soap].   Elinor accepted in West Germany eight days later.  They were married on Oct. 3, 1951, in the Princeton University Chapel. 

After Harry's graduation they moved to Gettysburg, PA., where he prepared for the ministry for two years at the Lutheran Theological Seminary.  In 1955, with the arrival of their first child, he changed career paths and worked as a computer programmer and systems reviewer for Prudential Systems, and a short time later as an aeronautical engineer with the Martin Co. in Baltimore, Md.  In 1958, he moved to theWashington D.C. area and became the "first employee'; of Analytic Services Inc., later based in Arlington, VA.  His career with ANSER spanned 33 years and grew from a systems analyst position to Vice President for Health Systems.  One notable highlight was a late night meeting with President Kennedy';s special assistant for space prior to the President announcing his goal of putting a man on the moon by the end of the decade.  Harry retired in 1991. 

After graduation from college, Elinor taught school in Lac La Biche, approximately 140 miles north of Edmonton Alberta, and after marriage worked for New York publisher Doubleday and Company. She retired to become a full time mother for her children, and when they had both gone off to university she returned to the work force.  She started as a volunteer and then became theVolunteer Coordinator of the Smithsonian Resident Associates program in Washington, D.C., where she served for 14 years traveling to Russia in the early 70';s long before Glasnost, and retiring in 1981.  Throughout the 60';s and the early seventies she was also active in programs at the Malagasy Embassy in Washington. 

Harry and Elinor had two children, Mark David Emlet, born June 6, 1955, who lives with his wife, J. Kristen Tunstall, in Clifton, Va., and Susan Jennifer Emlet, born May 22, 1957, who died of cancer at age 45 on Feb. 19, 2003, in Rochester, Minn. They had two grandchildren by Susan and her husband, Jay Furst: Kirin Emlet Furst, of New York, N.Y., and Navy CS3 Nikolas Emlet Furst of Norfolk, Va. 

Harry was preceded in death by twin brothers who died in childhood. Elinor is survived by three brothers, Leif Stolee and James Stolee of Edmonton, Alberta, and Erling Stolee of Perth, Ontario.

Both Harry and Elinor were voracious readers who loved to discuss and debate ideas with family and friends. Harry remained deeply involved with his Princeton class of 1952 and recently wrote a history of Analytic Services Inc. Elinor was a devotee of Carl Jung, among many other favorite writers, and participated in a Jungian discussion group. She also enjoyed writing poetry and family memoirs.  Their travels in retirement took them to China, Greece, France, Egypt, Peru, Madagascar,Mexico, Puerto Rico, the Windward Islands, the Galapagos Islands, a boat trip down the Amazon River and other adventures, often with their grandchildren. 

They were devoted grandparents who helped Kirin and Nik cope with their mother's long battle with cancer, and they were splendid friends to Roberta Carlisle, a long time ANSER colleague and friend of the family. 

Al Prus '52 died in Morristown on August 21. At Princeton he majored in Aeronautical Engineering and was a member of Key and Seal. Al was the youngest member of the class.           Bob Lovell spotted the following obituary in the Morristown Daily Record of August 31:          


Olgierd "Al" Prus died on Sunday, Aug. 21, 2011 at the MorristownMedicalCenter. He was 79. Born in Warsaw, Poland, he came to the US in 1939 where he later became a US citizen, and has lived in Morristown for the past 40 years. He graduated from Princeton University and received his Masters in Business Administration from MIT. He served in the US Army during the Korean Conflict.         


Al is survived by his loving wife of 40 years, Angeline Prus.  A Mass of Christian Burial for Al was celebrated at the Church of the Assumption in Morristown on Friday, September 2 .         

We've learned from Hobey Henderson through John Clutz that Marshall Arnold '52 died on August 10, 2011. Here is a brief obit from the Los Angeles Times.            

Arnold, Marshall    October 17, 1930 - August 10, 2011 Marsh passed away at his home in San Clemente, CA surrounded by his loving family. He was born in Evanston, IL and graduated from Princeton University in 1952 with High Honors in Engineering. He had a long successful career with Hughes Aircraft Company. He is survived by his wife Carol, brother Bruce, 4 children, 3 step children, 10 grandchildren and 5 step grandchildren. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Sierra Club.    

Classmate Will Garwood died July 14, 2011.   Bob Jiranek sent the following obituary:

Judge William Lockhart Garwood, 79, of Austin, Texas, died Thursday, July 14, 2011. The son of W. St John and Ellen Clayton Garwood, he was born in Houston, Texas, on October 29, 1931.  He was a graduate of Middlesex School, Concord, Massachusetts, and Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, class of 1952. He received his LLB with Honors from the University of Texas School of Law in 1955, where he ranked first in his class all three years while still enjoying a regular beer at Sholtz's. His law school honorary memberships included Order of the Coif, Chancellors (Grand Chancellor), Texas Law Review (Associate Editor), and Phi Delta Phi (legal fraternity).         He was admitted to the Texas State Bar in 1955 and after graduation served as law clerk to Judge John Brown of the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. When his clerkship ended in 1956, Will served three years in the Judge Advocate General Corps in the Pentagon defense appellate division. In 1955 Judge Garwood married Merle Haffler of Lexington, Kentucky. Theirs was a loving marriage of 55 years.

He returned to Texas in 1959 and joined the firm of Graves, Dougherty & Gee in Austin, later known as Graves, Dougherty, Hearon, Moody and Garwood. Will's father, Judge W. St. John Garwood, had recently retired from the Texas Supreme Court and joined the firm in an "of counsel" role. Given the opportunity to practice with his father, he was persuaded to join the firm as an associate; he spent the next twenty years in the general practice of law. In 1979, he was appointed by Governor Clements to the Texas Supreme Court. Will was the first Republican since reconstruction to serve on the Texas Supreme Court; he was also the only son of a former Justice to serve on the Texas Supreme Court. In 1981, he was appointed by President Reagan to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, where he served for 30 years from 1981 to present. From 1994 to 2001, he served on the advisory committee on Appellate Rules, Judicial Conference of the United States, serving as Chairman from 1997-2001. He continued to work until he died, even making plans for his next court appearance from his hospital bed.     

Judge Garwood leaves behind a legacy as one of the outstanding and distinguished jurists of our time. His decisions were marked by their scholarship, intellect, and attention to detail. Two of his opinions in particular stand out for their singular importance in our constitutional law. In United States v. Lopez (1993) Judge Garwood held the Gun Free School Zones Act invalid as beyond the power of Congress under the Commerce Clause. The Court's opinion was then affirmed by the U S Supreme Court in an opinion by Justice Rehnquist, which adopted Judge Garwood's approach to indiscriminant Congressional reliance on the Commerce Clause as a basis for legislation. In United States v. Emerson (2001) he wrote that the Second Amendment protects individuals in their right to bear arms, subject to reasonable restrictions, and those rights are not limited to the militia. In his long career as a Judge his intellectual and personal qualities were combined with an unwavering dedication to constitutional principles and the Rule of Law.      Among numerous professional affiliations, he was a member of the American Judicature Society, the Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court, and the Federalist Society, and a Life Member of the American Law Institute and Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation.     

In June of this year, the Texas Center for Legal Ethics presented Will with the Chief Justice Pope Professionalism Award which exemplifies the highest standard of professional ethics. In 2004 the Fifth Circuit Judicial Conference in Austin was dedicated to him. Other honors and awards include the Leon Green Award and the Travis County Bar Association Distinguished Lawyer Award. The University of Texas Law School holds the Judge William L. Garwood Endowed Presidential Scholarship in Law. Throughout his life, Will was actively involved in numerous social and civic organizations. He served as the head of the Austin Committee for Fair Housing in the late 1960s. He was Director and past President of Child and Family Service of Austin, and Trustee and past President of St Andrew's Episcopal School. He served on the Community Council of Austin and Travis County, the United Fund of Austin and Travis County, the Human Opportunities Corporation of Austin and Travis County, the Mental Health and Mental Retardation Center of Austin and Travis County, the Austin Town and Gown, and the Salvation Army of Austin, where he served from 1972 until his death (receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award). He was a member of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity and of Good Shepherd Episcopal Church.     

He was preceded in death by his parents, his brother St. John Garwood, Jr., and his two nephews. He is survived by his loving wife Merle, his son Will Garwood, Jr. and daughter-in-law Debbie, his daughter Mary Garwood Yancy and son-in-law Howard Yancy, his grandchildren Will Garwood, III, Laura Garwood Rozelle and husband Irby Rozelle, Max Yancy, Elliott Yancy, Meghan Yancy and Cameron Yancy. He is also survived by his niece Susan Garwood, her husband George Peterkin III, their children John and Kate Peterkin. .     

A gentleman, an outstanding intellect but down-to-earth and kind to the core, a devoted and loving family man, Judge Garwood will be sorely missed by his family, friends and colleagues in Austin, Houston, New Orleans and around the country. 

Classmate Stanley Seeger died June 24. To read the obituary from the July 15 New York Times, go to: following is a slightly edited excerpt of a memorial for the Alumni Weekly written by Quincey Lumsden '52.           Stanley Seeger '52 died June 24, 2011, in London. As an undergraduate, he majored in Music, was awarded the Alfred Noyes Prize in Poetry, and was active with the Chapel Choir, Theatre Intime, and Nassau Lit. Stanley continued music studies at the University';s GraduateSchool, earning his MFA in that discipline in 1956. While privacy was his watchword, Stanley nevertheless became one of the most renowned art collectors of the late 20th century. London';s Telegraph newspaper described him as "An American who made his home in Britain, [who] put together several different collections of memorable distinctiveness and quality. Once they had been assembled to his perfectionist satisfaction, however, he was fond of dispersing them and moving on." Following a 1961 exhibition of his early collection at the University';s Art Museum, he mounted a sale of 88 of his Picasso';s in 1993, and subsequently held landmark sales of outstanding works by modernist masters, and of two centuries of British art in New York and London in 2001.         A true philhellene, Stanley is the donor whose generous gifts established and maintain the endowed fund in his name that supports the University';s Hellenic Studies studies program.  President Tilghman has described this program as "one of the world';s great centers for the study of Greece and the global influence of Greek ideas."         Stanley is survived by Christopher Cone, his partner of 32 years

Arthur Komar '52 died June 3, 2011 in Syracuse, NY.  The obituary below is from an online obituary registry service.  In January, Barry Loper talked with his daughter and found Artie was suffering from Parkinson's and dementia.    He received his PhD in Physics from Princeton in 1956.  Artie wrote very warmly of his memories of Princeton in the Book of Our History.

         Arthur Komar, Ph.D. June 3, 2011 Arthur Komar, Ph.D., 80, died Friday evening at Menorah Park. Dr. Komar was the former dean of the Belfer Graduate School of Science at Yeshiva University in New York City; had worked at the National Science Foundation in Washington, DC; and was associated with the physics department at Syracuse University. As a student at Princeton University, he had tea with Albert Einstein. Arthur was a true renaissance man in every sense of the word.  Survived by his children, Arne (Kelly) Komar and Tanya Komar; his grandchildren; his partner of 50 years, Dr. Alice Honig; and his former wife Dolly (Arnold Honig) Komar-Honig.

Fred Paul Slivon, Jr. '52 died April 2, 2011 in San Rafael, CA . At Princeton he majored in English and belonged to Cottage Club. Fred earned his law degree at Harvard. Most of his career was in magazine publishing  and sales with R. R. Donnelly & Sons. After retirement Fred moved from Princeton to California.Fred leaves his wife, Roberta, three children and, as of our 50th reunion, two grandchildren.                                                           

Classmate Vic Bihl died April 26, 2011. At Princeton Vic majored in History and was a member of Cottage Club. Rudy Lehnert found the following obit in the Patriot-News of Mechanicsburg, PA.        

"Victor A. Bihl, 80, of Conewago Township, Dauphin County, died Tuesday April 26, 2011 at home surrounded by his loving family.      

 "He was the husband of Mary Ann (Dorety) Bihl, to whom he had been married for 27 years. In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, Scott and his wife Gwen of New Canaan CT, and David and his wife Amy of Waynesboro VA. Four step-children, Cheryl Eshenour of Derry Township, Harry, Deborah and John Rozanski, of Elizabethtown, seven grandchildren, seven step-grandchildren and one step great-granddaughter. He was preceded in death by: his first wife, Suzanne; daughter, Karen Bihl-Scholl; sister, Jody Bihl-Bragg; and step-grandson, Jonathan Eshenour.      

 "Vic attended William Penn High School, and was a graduate of Mercersburg Academy, Princeton University, and Dickinson School of Law. While attending Princeton, he played football for four years and sang with the Princeton Nassoons. He was particularly proud of his football team, because they went undefeated in his junior and senior years, and were ranked as one of the top teams in the country. He served in the US Navy on the Battleship New Jersey and was a veteran of the Korean Conflict. After completing his law studies, he joined the Dauphin County District Attorney's office as an Assistant DA. He later moved into private practice, and retired from the law firm of Reynolds, Bihl, Wion, and Trace.       

"Vic enjoyed playing squash at the Harrisburg YMCA. In addition to squash, hobbies included sailing, traveling, tennis, and spending time with family and friends."

Don McDonough '52 died April 24, 2011.  Barry Loper, Quincey (and Helene) Lumsden, George Towner, and Steve Rogers, all members of the DC-area lunch group that included Don until recently, attended the memorial gathering on May 3 in Chevy Chase, MD

Harold Nelson Hobart '52 died March 16, 2011 in Hutchinson, KS.  At Princeton Nels majored in History and was a member of Ivy Club. After Princeton he ran a grain storage business then  moved to cattle ranching and farming in Kansas and Colorado.        Nels ran a semi-pro baseball team in Hutchinson, KS from 1979 to 1984 and developed some future major leaguers including Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens.        He is survived by his wife, Joyce, two sons, three daughters and twelve grandchildren.         

Bob McLean died March 26, 2011.  Bob was serving as a member of the Class of '52 Executive Committee at the time of his death.        The following obituary appeared in The New York Times on March 26:         McLean Robert Ludlow, age 79, died peacefully at home on March 22, 2011.  Colonel McLean graduated from Princeton University in 1952, and earned his MBA from New York University.  He served in the army as a guided missile officer, and remained in the Army Reserves for over 30 yeas.  After his active military duty, he was an engineer at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory's thermonuclear fusion experiment, followed by a distinguished career in finance for 40 years.  He was Chairman of the Alumni and Friends of Princeton University ROTC, Chairman of Squadron A, governor of The St. Andrews Society, the Robert Burns Society, and the Association of the U.S. Army.  He is survived by his wife, Linda Durfee McLean, two daughters, Elissa McLean and Maggie McLean Suniewick, and three grandchildren.  Memorial service at the Church of the Heavenly Rest, 2 East 90th Street, Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 2:30 pm.  In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made in his memory to Cure PSP, 30 E. Padonia Road, Suite 2021, Timonium, MD21093, or at        

Davis M. Roach '52 died on January 2, 2011. At Princeton he majored in History and was a member of Quadrangle Club.        Dave was active in oratory and debate. We know nothing of his later life  except for the name of his wife, Virginia, and his ownership of Roach's Adobe Manor in Fallbrook, CA.       

Don Malehorn reports that Christiane Sprenger, daughter of classmate Reinhard Loosch, informed him of Reinie's  death on March 7, 2011 in Koenigswinter, Germany.  At Princeton, Reinie majored in Economics and belonged to Terrace Club.      He returned to Germany completing legal studies and internships in 1959. Reini's career was in government with the German federal government and the European Community in a number of senior posts relating to atomic energy and scientific research.      He leaves his wife, Edith, three children and four grandchildren.          

Henry Sherk reports that our classmate, Walt Weidler '52 died January 25, 2011, thirteen years after his heart transplant.  We learned of his funeral after it was held on January 28.  At Princeton Walt majored in History and was a member of Colonial Club. His career was in investments and finance with several institutions in the Philadephia area. Walt is survived by his wife, Joan, two daughters and two grandchildren.    


Upcoming Events