Memorials: 2013


       We have learned from his daughter, Anne DeVoe Lawler, that classmate L. Charles ("Chuck") DeVoe died December 28, 2013.  An obituary for Chuck reports that "private services will be held.  Friends and family are invited to attend a Celebration of Chuck's life at Woodstock Club (in Indianapolis) on Sunday, January 12, 2014, from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.  In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to the NJTL (National Junior Tennis League)."

        Here is the obituary from the Naples (FL) News:

        L. Charles 'Chuck' DeVoe, of Naples, FL and Indianapolis, IN, born in In dianapolis March 18, 1930, passed away peacefully at age 83 on December 28, 2013 after a three month battle with Melanoma cancer. He will be greatly missed by family, and by his worldwide


network of friends. Chuck enjoyed a full and successful life. He met his life companion, Jody, at age 15 in dancing class. They married at age 22, and enjoyed 61 - 1/2 years of marriage, friendship, travel and adventures. Chuck excelled in all things athletic. He was the oldest of three brothers all athletes - and a nationally ranked junior tennis player. He also played basketball and football at Park School.

        Chuck attended Princeton University, where he was part of the great class of 1952. While there, Chuck captained the basketball team and was named to the All Ivy League team. He also played tennis. Chuck never lost a singles or doubles match in the three years he played varsity tennis at Princeton. After Princeton, Chuck served in the Korean War as a second lieutenant in the artillery branch of the U.S. Army. In Korea, he helped build a basketball court on the frozen ground on which he and other officers played games against other military units. Chuck returned home and joined the family business, the L. M. DeVoe Company (manufacturer's representatives in the electronic industry).

        His professional life exemplifies his entrepreneurial spirit. He helped many start their own businesses, and helped his son Michael acquire and develop the Portage Point Inn in Onekama, MI. Meanwhile, Chuck continued his pursuits and successes in tennis and basketball. In tennis, Chuck went on to win 11 Indiana State men's championships. He played in the U.S. Clay Court tournaments held in Indianapolis annually into his 40s, including a memorable win over #3 nationally ranked Charlie Paserell when Chuck was 36. In 1965, Chuck joined forces with his brothers John and Steve and others to found the Indianapolis Racquet Club, the first indoor tennis facility in Indiana.

         At age 47, with Jody's encouragement, Chuck started playing the Senior Tennis circuit and enjoyed great success into his early 80s. He played matches in 17 different countries. He played on 20 U.S. Cup teams, winning eight international titles. Chuck won 67 U.S. senior age group national titles (25 singles and 44 doubles); 13 European titles (five singles and eight doubles); and 3 World doubles titles. Chuck held the U.S. #1 senior doubles ranking for 11 straight years, and was ranked #1 in senior singles in the U.S. four different times, and #1 in the ITF at least once. This tennis success allowed Jody and Chuck to travel extensively, and to embrace a worldwide network of friends. Chuck was inducted into the Midwest Tennis Hall of Fame in 1999.

         In 1967, Chuck was a founding owner, along with his brother John and other investors, of the ABA Indiana Pacers. Chuck served as President of the Pacers for eight years, prior to their entry into the NBA. During Chuck's years of involvement, the Pacers were the most successful ABA franchise, winning three ABA Championships, and appearing in five ABA finals. Chuck was a man always on the move. Sitting still was never an option. He was a fierce competitor in every arena of life - and he was always gracious whether he won or lost. Chuck embraced and championed diversity in sports, and the diversity that brought to the rest of society. His physical presence will be missed dearly, but his wonderful spirit and drive will live on to continue to inspire others.


        Phil Burr '52 died November 22, 2013, after a brief bout with an aggressive cancer, according to the Washington Post.  He was a graduate of Exeter Academy as well as Princeton, served in the Air Force 1952-56, and was a systems engineer/manager of IBM until his retirement in 1986.  His wife of 41 years, Sidney, survives him.

On January 3, 2014, Barry Loper wrote:
Phil Burr, who passed away November 22, 2013, lived in Arlington, Virginia. His home is less than 3 miles from the Washington Golf and Country Club where a regional '52 class luncheon is held every 6 weeks to 2 months.

Over the years I have tried to encourage Phil to attend a luncheon but was never successful. On one or two occasions, he was just going to or coming back from his second home in Maine and did not have time.

On the most recent call his wife, Sidney, answered the telephone. She indicated Phil had just learned he had an aggressive form of cancer and was not expected to live. I knew Phil had had a long career in IBM and asked when he retired. She went on to say she, too, had worked for IBM in a small building on Connecticut Avenue in Washington, DC, supporting a lawyer named Dan Evangelista. That told me she was located at 1111 Connecticut Avenue because I knew Dan and I was there from 1967-69.

Out of the blue, I asked if she could possibly be Sidney Elsessor -- and she was. A bright moment on a sad day.



            Classmate Dick Orr died November 25, 2013.  An obituary in the Hampton Roads Daily Press notes that he graduated from Blair Academy and Princeton, served in the U.S. Army, and later worked as an executive with Exxon's international operations.  Dick and his wife, Setsuko, moved to Williamsburg, VA, in 1993 after retiring.  They shared a home in Kingsmill, Williamsburg, until Setsuko's death in 2011 after nearly 40 years of marriage.  Dick's passion was social and economic justice for people of color.  His passion was evident in developing a mentoring program for those persons leaving custody of the criminal just system with the Colonial Community  Corrections staff in James City County.  He was one of the founders of All Together, Inc., as well as a member of the NAACP, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and other organizations.  Dick is survived by his son, Richard Orr, and grandchildren.  A service for him was held December 14 at St. Martin's Episcopal Church in Williamsburg.


        As reported by email to the Class, Parker Monroe '52, of Brandon, Florida, died Sunday, November 10, 2013.  His son Shawn informed us of Parker's death and provided other information.  Parker was born in the borough of Manhattan in New York City and served in the Navy during WWII before entering Princeton.  Following graduation from the University, he worked for 35 years for Caltex Petroleum Corporation, where he specialized in International Government Relations.  For the past twenty years, Parker was an officer and contributor to the Tampa (Florida) PC Users group, where his gift for computers, keen intelligence, integrity, wit and mischievous sense of humor earned the profound respect of his colleagues.  His greatest achievement, however, was the joy,   love, and unwavering support he gave to his family and friends in his role as beloved husband, father, father-in-law, grandfather, great-grandfather, uncle


 and friend.  Parker is survived by his wife of 58 years, Sondra Lucelle "Lu”; children Brad (and Eileen), Sondra Lynn, Debi, and Shawn (and Kim); eight grandchildren; and three great-grand-children.  A memorial service was held in Riverview, FL, on November 16.  Memorial donations are suggested in Parker’s name to the Moffitt Cancer Center,

          We have received the following obituary material for Classmate F. Coit Johnson II, who died July 26, 2013, in Lawrenceville, NJ.:
           Coit was headmaster of the Little Red School House and Elizabeth Irwin H.S. in NYC, and subsequently The Foxcroft School, Middleburg, VA.  Known for flair on the tennis court and dance floor and for intellectual intensity, Coit had an abiding connection to the works of CG Jung and loved art, literature and music.  He was a member of the choir of the Cathedral of

St. John the Divine, NYC, of which he was a trustee.  A graduate of Groton School and Princeton and Columbia Universities, he served  as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army, and as a founding member of the Wynant Clayton Volunteers.  Born January 2, 1930, to the late Mr. and Mrs. Stuart Holmes Johnson of Locust Valley, NY, he is survived by his beloved wife, Holly Harrison Johnson, sons Timothy and Christian Johnson, daughters Sarah Johnson Doenmez, Rebecca Johnson Dibb, Priscilla Johnson Bender, Holly-Katharine Johnson, nine grandchildren, and his beloved nieces, nephews, and sisters Eunice Winslow and Priscilla McMillan.



        Here is the obituary from the New York Times of October 6, 2013, for classmate Ben Rice:
        Benjamin Manson Rice, Jr., of New York City, died September 19th at home at the age of 83. Ben grew up in Peterborough, NH and graduated from Milton Academy in 1948, Princeton in 1952 and the Harvard Business School in 1956. Ben served as an Army First Lieutenant followed by many years as a financial analyst. He was a member of the Union Club of New York City, traveled extensively, and was an accomplished photographer.  Ben was a frequent volunteer and mentor for those in need. Ben is survived by his wife Joan Ross Rice of New York City and sister Judith Rice Millon of Washington, DC. Ben leaves behind sons Benjamin, John and Christopher, and four grandchildren. Donations may be made to The Salvation Army or the ASPCA.






        The New York Times has reported the death on September 18 of classmate F. Malcolm Graff Jr.  Here is the obituary from the September 30 issue of the Times, provided by Michael D. Robbins ’55.

      A Manhattan banker and philanthropist who was a passionate champion of opera, F. Malcolm Graff Jr. died on September 18 at his home in Montecito, CA., at the age of 82. The cause was cancer, said his wife, Yveta Synek Graff, a Czech opera coach, translator and transliterator. Malcolm was a retired private wealth banker in Manhattan for the Bessemer Trust Company, which he joined in 1996. Prior to that, his career in trusts and estates spanned for over 40 years at the Banker's Trust Company. From 1970 until his death, he served on the board of the Metropolitan Opera Guild, and in 2008, was   awarded the Eleanor Belmont Medal for his distinguished services.

        The Guild provides a wide variety of educational programs, publishes the magazine Opera News and presents a number of public programs celebrating the opera world, and Malcolm was instrumental in expanding all of these activities, at various times serving as Secretary, Treasurer and Vice President. He became a Member of the Metropolitan Opera Association in 1981 and has actively served as an Advisory Director of the Met board since 1989. He was also active in a wide range of other causes. He was the chairman of the Bagby Foundation of Musical Arts, and was on the boards of the American/French Friends of the Paris Opera, The Save Venice Foundation, as well as a founding member of the Opera Orchestra of New York. Born in Oakmont, PA, to Frank M. Graff and Julia Westin Graff, Malcolm was a graduate of Princeton University and Harvard Business School. He considered his greatest blessing to be his forty year marriage to Yveta to whom he was passionately devoted and extremely proud. In addition to his wife, he is survived by his stepson, Steve Love, and his wife, Jeanie, of Studio City, CA, his grandson, Chase Graff Love, and his godson, Marc Chazaud.




        Tom Daubert '52 died September 10.  His son Tom was the source of the information.   Here is the fine tribute young Tom has written us about his father:

        I am writing on behalf of my father, Tom Daubert, who died at 8 pm EST several days ago, September 10th.

       One of his final wishes was for me to write to the folks in his email address book -- to tell them of his passing, and to thank them for their friendship over the years.  He also wanted me to tell you that he had always sought "to be a good guy."

        My father wanted no fuss and no memorial service.  As he told me in our last talk, "Don't waste your energy on anything like that, because I won't be attending."


        My dad was born on July 8, 1930 in Martins Ferry, Ohio, a town where high school football was king.  And, luckily for him, he not only was smart but also was physically gifted as a young man, and played center on a winning football team.  Because his high school used what was called a "single-wing formation," he found himself in his senior year being recruited with a full scholarship offer from a college he had never heard of, Princeton University.

        Princeton changed his life forever, and he loved the place until his dying day.  In the 61 years since he graduated, he attended his class reunion every single year except for a handful of them when he happened to be in the hospital at the time instead.  He genuinely loved all his friends from college, and was enormously proud to have been a member of the esteemed Class of 1952. 

        I was with my father in a nursing home about a month ago when he saw in the New York Times that his friend and classmate, Heisman Trophy winner Dick Kazmaier, had died.  There was a photo of Kaz making an end-run around some opponents, with another Princeton player blocking for him.  As the other Princeton player's face and uniform number were obscured, I said, "Dad, maybe that's you blocking there."  He looked at the photo and said it wasn't him.  I said, "Well, if I were you I would claim it is."  He thought that was hilarious.  I like to imagine my dad is now playing again out in the ether, centering the ball to someone who passes it over to Kaz for yet another touchdown.
        The day after my father graduated from college, he started working in Philadelphia for a company then called Smith Kline & French Laboratories.  He remained there, primarily doing marketing research, for 36 years before retiring.  At that point, he worked for a few more years for a company called Scott-Levin Associates, a marketing intelligence firm that served the pharmaceutical industry.
        My father's greatest passions in life, other than all things Princeton, were current events, sports, and crossword puzzles.  His love for and kindness to his wife, Mary Louise, and to me, his only child, were infinite and constant.         
        I can't imagine how it would be possible to be a better father than he was to me.  He loved and supported me always.  One of the great tests of fatherhood occurs when your kid screws up -- and I'm sorry to say that I delivered this kind of challenge to my father on a regular basis, right up till the end.  The last few years have been unusually arduous for our family, but my father's support, understanding and respect for others never faltered in the slightest.  I will miss him terribly for the rest of my life, especially when I screw up in some way yet again.
        I want to close with a thank-you of my own.  As one of the first offspring born of a member of the Class of '52, I "marched" in my first P-rade via stroller in 1953, and I attended far more of my father's reunions than of my own class, 1974.  Over the years I was lucky to get to know a great many of my father's classmates, all of whom he loved so much.  Thank-you for your years of friendship and affection for my father.
        His wife, my mother, Mary Louise Daubert, still lives at 7421 Overhill Road, Melrose Park, PA 19027.
        Thanks again and best wishes to all of you,
Tom Daubert, Jr.




Classmate Charles Saunders died August 20, 2013.  His on-line obituary reports that had been a resident of Corrales, NM, since 1977.  He received his law degree from the University of Virginia, where he was editor-in-chief of the law review.  He practiced law in Washington, DC, and met and married Marcia there.  He was a professor of tax law at the University of Georgia and the University of Virginia School of Law and was Deputy Chief Counsel at the IRS during the Nixon/Ford administration.  After moving to  Albuquerque he practiced tax law in private practice until his retirement. 



       The New York Times has reported that Dick Kazmaier '52 died August 1, 2013, in Boston.  The Times article reported at some length his famous exploits for Princeton football and the undefeated teams of 1950 and 1951, his decision against going to professional football even after winning the Heisman Trophy at Princeton, and his successful business career, including establishment of Kazmaier Associates sports consulting firm.  The entire Times article can be read by searching for Kazmaier on Google.


        Classmate Dr. Edwin A. Sumpter died on June 6, his 83rd birthday.  Ed had developed brain tumors and had been ill since late last fall.  Paul Lindsay notified us and supplied the following obituary: 
         Dr. Edwin Allen Sumpter, 83, of Raleigh, died peacefully at home, June 6, 2013. A memorial service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Monday, June 10 at Pullen Memorial Baptist Church. 
        Ed was the son of the late James Edward Sumpter and Frankie Euwilda Short. He was a graduate of Princeton University, Class of 1952, and graduated

from The University of Virginia School of Medicine in 1956. After completing his residency at The University of Rochester, Dr. Sumpter practiced pediatrics in Rochester until joining the faculty at The University of Massachusetts Medical School in 1976. In 1981, he moved to Halifax County, North Carolina, where he joined Roanoke Amaranth, a nonprofit medical group serving eastern North Carolina. In 1989, he joined the faculty at the East Carolina University School of Medicine as Director of Outpatient Pediatrics. While there, he founded the TEDI Bear Children's Advocacy Center. 
        Dr. Sumpter retired from medical practice in 1995. Dr. Sumpter's primary focus throughout his career was to serve the underserved. He spent periods of time in Haiti and Thailand providing medical care to those in need. After retiring, Dr. Sumpter moved to Wellfleet, Massachusetts, until 2005, when he returned to North Carolina to live in Raleigh.
        Ed is survived by his wife, Jeanne Penning Sumpter; son, David; daughter, Ann Harth; step-son William Sharpe; and step-daughters Jennifer Schwartz, Elizabeth See and Sarah Vestal; and thirteen grandchildren.
        In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to TEDI Bear Children's Advocacy Center, 2303 Executive Circle, Greenville, NC 27834, or Pullen Memorial Baptist Church, 1801 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27605.
        We've lost James A. Wright III '52.  Jim passed away at home surrounded by his family on Friday, May 31, 2013.  He married Joan Broman  in 1957.  After he retired as a Financial Advisor with Merrill Lynch, Jim and Joan moved to Charlottesville, where they enjoyed 18 happy years.  He was a member Farmington County Club, the Riviera County Club, and Biscayne Bay Yacht Club.  In retirement, Jim pursued his love of his profession by following the financial markets daily.  His many interests included a love of music, golf, fishing, and gardening.  He was a devoted and loving husband, father and grandfather.  Jim was a man of strong character and great wisdom who will be missed by all who knew him.  He also was a good and loyal member of the class of  '52 and made an important contribution to the successful Class of '52 mini-reunion in Charlottesville in 2011.

       Classmate David Symons died June 2, 2013. Here is the obituary published in the Ottawa Citizen on June 5, 2013:
        David Symons July 20, 1930-June 2, 2013. David Coffey Symons, 82, passed away peacefully after suffering for many years with Parkinson's Disease on Sunday, June 2, 2013. He leaves behind his wife, Mew, of 58 years, and his daughters Alexandra O'Connor (Richard), Elizabeth O'Dwyer (Michael) and Catherine Mullin. He also leaves his beloved grandchildren Christine O'Conner, Shannon, Michael, and William O'Dwyer, and Steven Mullin. David was an avid cyclist and Scottish country dancer. After a log career as a city planner with the National Capital Commission, he retired in 1990 and turned his attention to traveling and learning to play the flute. At David's request, there will be no funeral. Donations to the Parkinson's Society would be greatly appreciated in lieu of flowers.




            The Baltimore Sun on May 23 published the following death notice for classmate Dan Baker:
        On Sunday, May 19, 2013, DANIEL BAKER, age 82, of Ruxton, beloved husband of Patricia A. (nee Grotz) Baker of 49 years. Devoted father of John Daniel Baker and his wife Cristina, Helen Baker Bonsal and her husband Frank III. Also survived by six grandchildren. 
       A memorial service will be held at a later date. Interment private. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Daniel's name may be made to St. Andrew's Christian Community, 5802 Roland Ave. Baltimore, MD 21210 or The Manor Conservancy, PO Box 408 Monkton, MD 21111. Online condolences may be sent to the family through
          George Towner has found this additional information in the Sun

          Daniel Baker, a former general partner at Alex. Brown & Sons who headed the firm's institutional sales department and in retirement managed a family farm, died May 19 of cancer at his Ruxton home. He was 82.

         "Dan was one of the true gentlemen in the investment business in Baltimore. He was highly respected by his colleagues and clients, and everyone liked and trusted him," said Joseph R. Hardiman, who was chief operating officer at Alex. Brown for 13 years and later was chairman of the National Association of Securities Dealers. "When he gave you his word, you could trust him, and you knew you didn't have to worry."


      Class members with Internet capability were notified of the death of John J. Clutz, Jr. '52 on April 22, 2013.  John was '52 Class Treasurer from 1992 and Vice President of the Class from 2007 to 2012.  He was elected Class President at our 60th Reunion.   The Philadelphia Inquirer published his otbituary on May 3 under the headline, "John J. Clutz Jr., 81, Singing Executive."  Here is the text of the Inquirer's report: 

John J. Clutz Jr., 81, of Radnor, a former chemical company executive who loved to sing, died Monday, April 22, of complications from a stroke at the Quadrangle in Haverford.

Mr. Clutz had a deep, rich bass voice and didn’t hesitate to use it, his family said.  He sang with the Savoy Opera Company, which stages Gilbert and Sullivan musicals, and was an active member of Counterparts, an a cappella jazz group.

He also sang with an amateur musical group called the Philadelphia Revels, as well as Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church’s senior choir and the Wayne Oratorio Society.      Born in Gettysburg to John J. Clutz and Agnes Gudrun Hammer, Mr. Clutz grew up in St. Davids and was a 1948 graduate of RadnorHigh School.

       In 1952, he earned an engineering degree from PrincetonUniversity and was granted membership in Phi Beta Kappa.  He sang with Princeton’s Glee Club, an octet, and the Princeton Chapel Choir.

After college, he spent three years in the Navy, finishing in June 1955 on the submarine Bluegill as a lieutenant junior grade.  He married Patricia Sweet in December 1953.  After his service they lived in Baltimore and Cincinnati, where he worked for Procter & Gamble.

The two returned to the Philadelphia area in 1958 when he became an executive of Rohm & Haas Co.  He was president of Rohm & Haas Canada and then business director of the chemical company’s Latin American division. 

The family lived in Toronto for six years and the Coral Gables, Fla., for three before moving to Radnor in 1978.

Mr. Clutz when got busy singing, sailing, volunteering at the Philadelphia Zoo, and helping with alumni activities at Princeton.

He was class treasurer for 15 years and vice president for five.  In June 2012, he was elected class president at the 60th reunion, making him the longest-serving officer of the Class of 1952.

He loved dogs, and was treasurer of the Harford Dog Park Club in Radnor.  Over the years, he owned a black lab, terriers, and a Lhasa apso named Dragon.

"He always had biscuits in his pocket for his dog friends,” said his sister-in-law, Robin Clutz.  "He’d buy them by the bushel.”

 Survivors are a brother; a sister; and nieces and nephews.  His wife died earlier.  Dragon went to a new home when his master could no longer walk him.

A memorial service will be at 4 p.m. Thursday, June 20, in the chapel of Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church, 625 Montgomery Ave.  Interment is private.

Donations may be sent to Main Line Animal Rescue, Box 89, Chester Springs, Pa.19425, or the Pennsylvania SPCA, 350 E. Erie Ave., Philadelphia19134.

Condolences to the family may be offered at


       Classmate James Walker Evans died on February 6, 2013.  The following memorial written by class memorialist John Moore will appear in the Alumni Weekly:
        Jim came from the high school in Kirkwood, Missouri, to join the chapel choir—part of his lifelong interest in music.  He joined Dial Lodge, the St. Louis Club and the IAA Senior Board, rooming with Steve Rogers.
        He left without graduating, joined the Army and after two years service finished at The University of Missouri in 1956.  He married Margaret Bolsterli and upon earning a degree at Church Divinity School of the Pacific, embarked upon a career as an Episcopal priest in parishes in Missouri, as a Canon in Christ Church Cathedral, St. Louis, and, later,  in Illinois, in Indianapolis and, finally, in Buffalo. He was a Freedom Rider in Mississippi in 1961 and earned an STM degree at Eden Theological Seminary in 1970.
         Jim and Margaret took frequent part in class reunions, organizing musical events for some of them and joining in 1952 mini reunions.  He wrote memorials for the Princeton Alumni Weekly for more than 15 years and served on the class Executive Committee.

        Jim died on February 6, 2013.  Margaret survives, as does their son, Stephen, and their daughter, Elizabeth Evans Sachs.  To them the class extends its sympathies at our loss of one of our most engaging and engaged classmates.


        Chandler Dawson '52 died last August.  His wife Paula, the source of this information, notes that Princeton was a "wonderful opportunity" for him that he "valued highly."  Here is the announcement to his colleagues at the Francis I. Proctor Foundation for Research in Ophthalmology of the University of California at San Francisco:

        It is with great sadness that we tell you of the recent passing of Dr. Chandler Dawson.  According to his wife Paula, Chan passed away quite suddenly on August 20, 2012, while they were visiting Paula's family home in Connecticut.  He will be missed many.
         As most of you know, Chandler Dawson was the Director of the Proctor Foundation from 1984 to 1995.  He was a father figue to a generation of ocular herpes, adenovirus and trachoma researchers, and a grandfather figure to another.   He published the classic description of the clinical course of EKC, identified intact herpes virions  in the corneal stroma by electron microscopy, and was the principal force behind the Herpetic Eye Disease Studies, which demonstrate the usefulness of topical corticosteroids and oral acyclovir for the treatment of different forms of herpes simplex eye disease.
         Perhaps his greatest contributions were in chlamydia and trachoma, where he collabotated with the giants of the field including Ernest Jawetz, Philips Thygeson, Jack Whitcher, Hugh Taylor, and Julies Schachter, as well as most of the current generation of trachoma researchers.  With Hugh Taylor, Chan develped a trachoma clinical grading system simple enough to be used by non-ophthalmologists.  The system is still in use today by every trachoma program worldwide.  With Julie Schachter, he demonstrated that a single dose of oral azithromycin cleared ocular chlamydial infection in an individual, and that if given to entire communities, could be the magic bullet for trachoma control.
        Chan helped train generations of Proctor fellows, and was a regular in Cornea Clinic until quite recently.  We'll all miss his keen observations, historical perspective and humble manner.  We just wish the next generation of Proctor fellows had the chance to work with this fine gentleman who was a giant in our field.


       Victor Conrad Hall ’52 died March 26, 2013, at PresbyterianHospital in Huntsville, NC.Vic’s career after two years in the army was as an insurance agent in Winston-Salem, NC, a responsibility he shared with his wife Ginger, who survives him along with their five children and eight grandchildren.He noted in his contribution to "Sixty Years of Significant Events” that he got his greatest sense of accomplishment from his involvement in the rearing of their children – "challenging at times…but well worth it” – and in his partnership with Ginger in establishing an independent insurance agency.He was an avid golfer and loved music.

        Classmate Peter Sterling Mueller M.D. died March 23, 2013.  Following is the obituary from the website of  the New Jersey Times.
        Dr. Peter Sterling Mueller of Princeton, NJ, passed away on Friday, March 29, 2013 at the age of 82, surrounded by his family. He was predeceased by his parents, Dr. Reginald Sterling Mueller and Edith Louise Welleck of New York, NY; his younger brothers, Dr. Mark Mueller and Sterling Mueller; his younger sister, Anne Foote; his son-in-law, Murray Self, and his grandson, Jory Self. He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Ruth Antonia (Shipman). He is also survived by four children, six grandchildren, three sisters, and numerous nieces and

nephews: Anne Mueller of Jericho, VT, and her two sons, Milo and Aran, Peter (Lynn) of Andover, MA, and their daughter Lauren, and Paul (Ingrid) of Winchester, VA, and their three children, Nicholas, Ryan and Anna Elise, and Elizabeth of Princeton, NJ, and sisters, Rosamond Dauer of Asheville, NC, Ginger Rundlof of The Plains, TX, and Jeane of Bradenton, FL.

        Dr. Mueller was born in New York City on Dec. 28, 1930. He attended Phillips Exeter Academy-Class of 1948, Princeton University-Class of 1952, and University of Rochester School of Medicine-Class of 1956. He completed his internship at BellevueHospital in New York in 1957 and then became a clinical associate at the National Institutes of Health (N.I.H.) in Bethesda, MD, where he studied fatty acids and lipid metabolism in relation to cancer, and published numerous papers on this topic. He also met his wife, Ruth Shipman of Chevy Chase, MD, who worked at N.I.H. and they were married in Chevy Chase in 1959.
        After pursuing his research goals for six years, Dr. Mueller entered the psychiatry residency at JohnsHopkinsHospital in Baltimore, MD (1963-1966). During his residency, he continued his research on insulin and glucose metabolism. After residency, he joined the faculty at Yale as an assistant professor of psychiatry and practiced there until 1972. During this time, he published extensively on the role of fatty acid metabolism and insulin resistance in psychiatric disease. Also, in response to his father's diagnosis of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Dr. Mueller began studying the role of lipid and glucose metabolism is neurodegenerative disorders. In 1972, he was recruited by College of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, RutgersMedicalSchool, as a clinical professor to help build a Department of Psychiatry.
        While working in his clinical practice, he noted that some of his patients experienced relapses and mood variations at certain times of the year and theorized that this was due to seasonal light variation. He shared his ideas with researchers at the National Institutes of Mental Health. In collaboration with researchers there, Dr. Mueller helped describe Seasonal Affective Disorder. Later, he speculated that seasonal light wavelength variation was the cause, and described a Seasonal Energy Syndrome. Another notable contribution to neuropsychiatry during this period was his successful treatment of Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome, a severe (and poorly treatable) reaction to a common psychiatric medication that previously had a very high mortality rate.
        Although he left full time academic work in the early 1980s and began his private practice in Princeton, NJ, Dr. Mueller continued to pursue his research interests clinically, and publish and speak about his areas of interest. He developed a reputation for successfully treating many patients who had been poorly responsive to conventional treatments. His multiple honors over the years included American Psychiatric Association Physician Recognition awards in 1979 and 1982 and an Exemplary Psychiatrist of the Year Award in 1994. He also held multiple patents for novel uses of current medications. Dr. Mueller also served in the U.S. Public Health Service actively with the title of surgeon from 1959-1963 and senior assistant surgeon from 1957-1959, and was in the inactive Reserve until 1996, with the title of commander. A memorial service will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Princeton First Aid and Rescue Squad or a charity of your choice . Arrangements are under the direction of The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home, Princeton.
          George W. Young '52 died on February 17, 2013, in Lenox, MA. There will be a funeral liturgy at Trinity Church in Lenox at 2 p.m. on March 3, and a memorial service at 11 a.m. on May 5 at St. Ignatius of Antioch Episcopal Church in New York City, where he lived most of his life.  George joined J. P. Morgan & Co. in 1954, retiring in 1986 as a vice president and chairman of the departmental credit committee.  He left no close relatives. 


        George Tangen '52 died January 29, 2013. Following is the obituary from the Mineapolis Star Tribune.
                  Tangen, George Victor, MD age 82, of PriorLake, passed away from myelodysplastic syndrome on January 29, 2013. George was born June 16,1930, in Canby, Minnesota, son of Dr. George M. and Ruth (Victor) Tangen. He was preceded in death by his parents and sister, Ruth McGeary.  Moving to Minneapolis as a teen, George graduated from UniversityHigh School in 1948. He earned a bachelors degree from PrincetonUniversity in 1952, a medical degree from the University of Minnesota in 1956, followed by a specialty degree in Otolaryngology in 1960. He married his high school sweetheart, Jeanne Ludwig, on September 11, 1953, raised four children, and was blessed with eleven grandchildren and two great- grandchildren.
          George began his medical practice in 1960 as a captain in the U.S. Army, stationed in Orleans, France. He practiced medicine in the Twin Cities for 33 years, working primarily at Abbott Northwestern and Minneapolis Children's hospitals. Upon retirement, George and Jeanne moved to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, returning to Minnesota ten years ago to be close to their children and grandchildren. George offered his time, talents and wisdom to the medical and civic communities. Among his leadership roles in the health field, George served as chair of the Hennepin County Medical Society, member of the House of Delegates of the Minnesota Medical Association, and Chairman of the Board of the Midwest Medical Insurance Company.  His civic service included the Eden PrairieParks and Recreation Commission and his election to the City Council in 1980.
           George is survived by his wife, Jeanne; children, Cindy (Bob) Shidla, Chris (Carol) Tangen, Linnea (Rick) Jackson, and George "Chip" (Susan) Tangen; grandchildren, Robert (Carrie) Shidla, Ben (Blanca) Shidla, Karen (Ryan) Angelo, Sam Shidla, Kelly (Steve) Henneberry, Scott and Shawn Tangen, Laura and Annie Jackson, and Katherine and George Tangen; and great-grandchildren, Leo Shidla and Benji Shidla. A celebration of George's life will be held on Saturday, February 9, from 2:00 - 6:00 p.m. at LakeFrontPlaza, 16154 Main Ave S.E., Prior Lake, MN. The family would like to warmly thank Hospice of the TwinCities and Home Instead Senior Care for enabling a peaceful passage at home. In lieu of flowers, the family encourages memorials to the American Red Cross or the Memorial Blood Centers. A private burial will be at a later date.
                  Walter S. Griffith '52 died on January 9, 2013.   Walt lived in Pompano Beach, Florida.  He leaves his wife Christina, whose hometown is listed as Carlow, Ireland.  The latest Class of '52 Directory gives a second home, Rossenarra House, Kilmoganny, County Kilkenny, which Wikipedia places in southeastern Ireland.
         Walt studied at the University of Indiana Law School and spent his career in the stock market.  An on-line obituary says that he had lived in south Florida for over 40 years.  His favorite subjects, to which he gave generously through his foundation, were music and the arts, children, public television, animal rescue, and numerous religious afffiliations.  He "traveled all over the world and never met a a stranger with whom he could not find some common bond."




Upcoming Events