Memorials: 2014

(his dates)
Gift from his
classmates and friends

Deaths of members of the Class of 1952 and their wives, depending on the understood wishes of the survivor, are reported to classmates by 52Net email. For the formal memorials, which are limited to 200 words, published in the Princeton Alumni Weekly since 1994, go to the PAW online and click on Memorials, by class or by name.  Since 2002 full obituaries and memorial tributes have been posted on the Class website by year of death.  With the launch of this updated website,  we welcome recent photographs as well as personal tributes.

The Class of 1952 Memorial Book Fund, launched in 1960 with a gift of $2000 from the Class Treasury, provides funds to buy ten books for the University Library in memory of each deceased classmate. Each has the bookplate and inscription shown at right, and the University Librarian writes the next of kin that the Class of 1952 has made the donation.

George Cochran Denby, May 7
Daniel Duffield, December 25
John C. Giordano, September 11
Robert L. Goodale, July 17
John Rodes Helm, November 29
John C. "Jack" Howell, January 3
Harry S. Jeanes, III, January 9
Robert C. Johnston, June 1
Ronald Lee Kinney, March 3
George Moses Knebel, Jr., April 28
Thomas Spencer Knight, May 4
John Alfred LaGrua, Jr., October 4
Thornton Benson "Ted" Morris, March 20
Charles Twiggs Myers, June 14
George A. Nankervis, April 8
Robert B. Oakley, December 10
Richard Sterling Porter, August 27
Samuel Wilson Pringle, Jr., May 11
William Brewster Purdy, November 26
Robert Leslie Stott, Jr., November 10
J. Edfgar Thomson "Jet" Rutter, May 31
Howard Beck Wentz, Jr., September 19

Daniel Morrell Duffield, Jr.

Remembering Dan Duffield

I would like to talk with you about a man of high standards. You could count on Dan He was a major contributor to the life of the Class of 1952. When I was leaving my post as Class President, and Dan had served his first term as Class Secretary, he had a typical straight-forward observation.

He told me, "It was a great ride! I may not have agreed with everything you did, but I'm glad I was here for the ride."

One of the first things that comes to mind when I think of Dan and Liz is the gorgeous Greenleaf Inn in Chester, Vermont. Dan and Liz turned this into a model of excellence in a lovely country setting. Latie and I made two trips to Chester to enjoy this perfect Inn and visit with Dan and Liz. Liz provided us with the best breakfast in New England, and Dan worked with her to decorate and maintain the lovely Inn. What fun we had! You could tell that a Marine Colonel was always preparing the rooms for an inspection by his Commanding General!

As an undergraduate, Dan became a central figure on the varsity crew. In our senior year, his heavyweight boat beat Harvard, winning the Compton Cup. Harvard had won ten straight years, but not the eleventh. For his contribution to Princeton and Princeton rowing, Dam was recognized in 2004 by the naming of a new heavyweight shell in his honor.

When Dan was elected Class Secretary, he approached the job with gusto. He enjoyed writing the column and had some fun. He reported one time on a committee I had in Boston which was preparing for a '52 mini-reunion with a hundred people. Dick Kazmaier had obtained Red Sox tickets for us. Dan's column read, "To check the atmosphere, the committee met at famed Fenway Park. After the business meeting, the participants decided to stay for the game."

He had to meet fifteen column deadlines every year, and once he had that under control, he expanded his role. He initiated sending colorful birthday cards to all five or six hundred of us during his three terms. He was our Secretary for 15 years and at the end, he volunteered to write obituaries along with writing the Alumni Weekly column and sending the birthday greetings.

With energy, and devotion to the Class, he set a new standard for Class Secretaries and served a Class full of amazing people exceedingly well. With our wild and colorful jackets, we and he perpetuated a Class Spirit that is the envy of many other classes.

Hooray for Dan and the part he played!!

Roger McLean '52
Remarks at Memorial Service, Quantico marine Corps Base, March 27, 2015

Robert Biggar Oakley 

Robert Oakley, diplomatic troubleshooter, dies at 83 - By Adam Bernstein December 11 at 7:59 PM, for the Washington Post

Robert B. Oakley, a career diplomat and three-time ambassador with a reputation for shrewdness in Washington and toughness in crisis zones, and who in retirement obtained the release of an American pilot captured during the "Black Hawk Down” incident in Somalia, died Dec.10 in McLean, Va. He was 83. The cause was complications from Parkinson’s disease, said his wife, Phyllis E. Oakley, a retired assistant secretary of state and a former spokeswoman for secretary of state George P. Shultz.

Mr. Oakley, who attained the high-ranking title of "career minister,” officially retired in 1991 as the chief American envoy in Pakistan. Thin and with a soft Louisiana drawl, he was regarded as a top troubleshooter in some of the world’s thorniest regions. He specialized in Africa, the Middle East and South Asia, and his perspective was profoundly shaped by his stint in Vietnam from 1965 to 1967, when he helped draft a Western-style constitution. He said a Vietnamese journalist once told him: "You know, you Americans look on us as if we were just a basket of crabs. You don’t really care what the crabs are doing in that basket as long as they don’t escape or as long as someone is not stealing the basket away from you.” Mr. Oakley later added, "I thought then that he had that right. Our motives were often quite selfish even when disguised in very noble terms.”

He headed the State Department’s counterterrorism office from 1984 to 1986, a period marked by a rise in hostage crises and state-sponsored terrorism in the Middle East and Libya. He also served as ambassador to Zaire (now Congo) from 1979 to 1982, to Somalia from 1982 to 1984 and to Pakistan from 1988 to 1991. "He didn’t wind up in places like Copenhagen, if you get my drift,” Chester A. Crocker, a former assistant secretary of state for African affairs, once told the Los Angeles Times. Instead, Mr. Oakley specialized in "rough duty, places where you spend seven days a week walking through a minefield of ambiguity.”

In difficult jobs, Mr. Oakley’s personal connections to the top echelon of Washington policymakers were invaluable. He was a Princeton classmate of James A. Baker III, who became secretary of state, and Frank C. Carlucci III, who became secretary of defense. He apprenticed at the National Security Council in the mid-1970s under national security adviser Brent Scowcroft and, from 1977 to 1979, was a deputy to Richard C. Holbrooke, who was then serving as assistant secretary for Far Eastern Affairs.

Mr. Oakley’s portfolio in the 1980s encompassed the Iran-Iraq War; the continued captivity of American soldiers in Lebanon; the passage of arms to the U.S.-supported mujahideen in Afghanistan and the Soviet departure from that country; encouraging the restoration of democracy in Pakistan after long military rule; and maintaining the fragile peace between nuclear-armed archenemies Pakistan and India.

After Carlucci was named national security adviser in 1987 with a mandate to clean house after the Iran-contra scandal, he tapped Mr. Oakley as head of Near East and South Asian Affairs on the National Security Council. In that role, he helped revive an "activist” policy in the Middle East after the embarrassment of Iran-contra and the earlier American withdrawal from Lebanon after deadly terrorist attacks that struck the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut. As part of that push, Mr. Oakley helped orchestrate a sizable American naval presence in the Persian Gulf to safeguard Kuwaiti oil tankers during the Iran-Iraq War.

In 1992, Mr. Oakley said Colin Powell, then chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, lured him from retirement to serve as a special U.S. representative to Somalia for President George H.W. Bush. He went initially to Mogadishu as part of a humanitarian mission to maintain a cease-fire in a country riven by civil war and famine.

Mr. Oakley left in March 1993 and, to his dismay, the American presence deepened under President Bill Clinton into a heavily militarized nation-building endeavor. He said he was an advocate of "tremendous restraint” in Somalia, not becoming a "party to the conflict.”

That October, Clinton called on his services after the Battle of Mogadishu, in which 18 Americans were killed and dead U.S. soldiers were dragged through the streets. A downed Black Hawk helicopter pilot, Michael Durant, was captured by loyalists of the warlord Mohamed Farah Aideed. Mr. Oakley had earlier developed a respectful if wary relationship with Aideed, a man he said needed to be treated "as if he were a vial of nitroglycerine that could go off in my hands.”

In an account reported by journalist Mark Bowden, who went on to write the bestselling book "Black Hawk Down,” Mr. Oakley impressed on representatives for Aideed, who was in hiding, that the U.S. president wanted the pilot back unconditionally and fast. If Durant was not set free, Mr. Oakley warned, the Americans would attack. "The minute the guns start again, all restraint on the U.S. side goes,” he said, according to Bowden’s account. "This whole part of the city will be destroyed, men, women, children, camels, cats, dogs, goats, donkeys, everything. . . . That would really be tragic for all of us, but that’s what will happen.” Less than a week later, Durant and a previously seized Ni­ger­ian soldier were released as a "goodwill gesture.”

Clinton subsequently ordered the liberation of many Somalis being held by U.S. forces, at the request of the Somalis. The United States soon withdrew entirely from Somalia. Aideed declared himself president in 1995 and was killed the next year by rival forces.

Robert Bigger Oakley was born in Dallas on March 12, 1931, and grew up in Shreveport, La. He graduated in 1952 from Princeton with a degree in philosophy and history. A stint in Navy intelligence in Japan sparked his interest in foreign affairs and led to his joining the State Department in 1957.

In 1958, he wed the former Phyllis Elliott. Besides his wife, of Washington, survivors include two children, Mary Kress of Falls Church., Va., and Thomas E. Oakley of McLean; and five grandchildren.

His career often interfered with a smooth home life. His work in Vietnam kept him apart from his wife for 22 months. When he was tapped as U.S. ambassador to Pakistan in 1988, he went on a moment’s notice, after his predecessor was killed in a mysterious airplane crash along with Pakistan’s president, Mohammed Zia ul-Haq.

He said that when Powell asked him to go to Somalia in 1992, his wife set down one ground rule: that Mr. Oakley be allowed to return for his son’s wedding later that year. When President Bush was planning a visit to troops in Somalia around the time of the nuptials, Mr. Oakley panicked, thinking he needed to greet the commander in chief. "My wife called me in Mogadishu and said, ‘Look, President Bush isn’t going there to see you,’” he said. "It was a very good point.”

<< Robert B. Oakley, right, in Mogadishu, Somalia, in January 1993 with Mohammad Farah Aideed. (Scott Applewhite/AP)

The following is from Wikipedia:  Robert Biggar Oakley (born March 12, 1931, died December 10, 2014) is an American diplomat whose 34-year career (1957–1991) as a Foreign Service Officer included appointments as United States Ambassador to Zaire, Somalia, and Pakistan and, in the early 1990s, as a special envoy during the American involvement in Somalia.

Born in Dallas, Oakley graduated in 1948 from Connecticut's South Kent School and spent four years as an Intelligence Officer in the US Navy. He joined the Foreign Service in 1957 and was assigned to the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, in 1958. He first served in the Office of United Nations Political Affairs, Department of State, and later served in American embassies in Abijan, Saigon, Paris, and Beirut. He also served at the U.S. Mission to the United Nationa, and as Senior Director for Middle East and South Asia on the staff of the National Security Council.

In February 1977, he became Deputy to the Assistant Secretary of State for  East Asia and Pacific Affairs. He became U.S. Ambassador to Zaire in November 1979 and U.S. Ambassador to Somalia in August 1982. In September 1984, he was appointed Director of the State Department Office of Combating Terrorism. He again joined the National Security Council Staff on January 1, 1987, as Assistant to the President for Middle East and South Asia. He was named as U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan in August 1988, succeeding Arnold Lewis Raphel, who was killed in an August 17 airplane crash along with Pakistan's President, Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq.

After retiring from the Foreign Service in September 1991, Oakley became associated with the United States Institute of Peace. In December 1992, he was named by President George H. W. Bush as Special Envoy for Somalia, serving there with Operation Restore Hope. until March 1993. In October 1993, he was again named as Special Envoy for Somalia by President Bill Clinton, and served in this capacity until March 1994. In January 1995, he joined the Institute for National Strategic Studies at the National Defense University. In 2000, prior to the September 11 attacks, Paul Bremer characterized the Clinton administration as "correctly focused on bin Laden", while Oakley criticized their "obsession with Osama".

During his service with the State Department, Oakley received numerous State Department awards, including: the State Department Meritorious Honor Award, four Presidential Meritorious Service Awards, and the State Department Distinguished Honor Award. For his service as Special Envoy to Somalia, he received a second State Department Distinguished Honor Award and the Department of Defense Medal for Distinguished Public Service. On June 18, 1993, he received the Diplomatic Award for Excellence of the American Academy of Diplomacy. In October 2008, Oakley was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award from Princeton in Africa.

In Cairo, during June 1958, Oakley married fellow Foreign Service Officer Phyllis Elliott who, under then-prevailing rules, was obliged to resign. The Oakleys have two children, Mary Kress, and Thomas Oakley (one married, one divorced) and five grandchildren, Robert Kress, Andrew Kress, Peter Kress, Graham Oakley, and Josephine Oakley. Phyllis E. Oakley returned to the Foreign Service in 1974.

John Rodes Helm

John Rodes Helm, Publishing executive, volunteer in the Montclair community. John Rodes Helm died Nov. 29, 2014. A memorial service was held on Monday, Dec. 8, at 2 p.m. at Central Presbyterian Church, Montclair, N.J.
Born to Mary Rodes and Harold H. Helm at Mountainside Hospital on Sept. 1, 1930, John lived in Montclair for most of his life. He graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy and Princeton, Class of 1952. John worked in publishing for Doubleday, Praeger and MIT Press. For the last 40 years he was an active volunteer in the Montclair community. He provided leadership at COPE, the Red Cross, the Senior Center, Van Vleck House and Gardens, the planning board of the United Way and the Montclair Community Foundation. John gave 93 pints of blood through the Red Cross up until 2003, and then gave platelets for the next 10 years. He was a 75-year member of Central Presbyterian Church and served for decades as a leader on the session, mission committee, stewardship committee, editor of the newsletter and longtime choir member. John was known for his love of books, community service and philanthropy.
Preceded in death by his longtime partner, Roberta Steiner, he is survived by sister, Eleanor Ketcham (John), and nephews and nieces, Jim Ketcham (Dana), Cliff Ketcham (James Moudy), Mary Sterner (David); and five great-nephews, great-nieces and many cousins. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests contributions to COPE, 104 Bloomfield Ave., Montclair, N.J. 07042 or Central Presbyterian Church Mission Fund, 46 Park St., Montclair, N.J. 07042.  Published in Star-Ledger on Dec.2,2014

A Year After his death on November 29, 2014

John was a remarkable person, who loved singing and books, while also serving the communities where he lived, Montclair, New Jersey and Chilmark, Martha’s Vineyard.

What I saw directly of John’s life reflected chiefly his love of music, especially singing. He sang as a solo first tenor in the Glee Club while I was singing in it as a second bass. I have a record of a Houseparty Concert in which he sang a solo in ”Old Folks at Home”, which brings back a poignant memory. Many years later he sang several times in the Class chorus that performed for the memorial services during our major reunions. That chorus, led by Classmate Jim Evans included several former glee club singers. At every reunion and at other Princeton events we found John because he was always glad to see us and discuss our continued choir singing.

John’s cousin Cathie Hartnett provided additional information about John’s musical activities while he was living and working in New York City. He sang in the chorus of the preeminent Gilbert and Sullivan theatrical organization, the Blue Hill Troupe. Later he sang in the Collegiate Chorale, a well- known chorus singing more serious music.

Almost as important as music for John was reading and collecting books. He worked in New York for three publishing companies. Later, for a few years he worked in a book store in Philadelphia, Sessler’s, located near the office building where I practiced law. He enjoyed that work, and even considered buying the store. The program for his service says "nothing gave him greater joy than producing an annual book sale.” His report in the Class of 1952 Fiftieth Reunion book said he ran two book sales a year. Many of the books in those sale may have been donated by him. I remember seeing him walking into a church in Princeton one morning carrying a box of books he was donating.

John never mentioned to me any of the several philanthropic organizations he was involved in. In the Fiftieth Reunion book he listed three nonprofit boards on which he served. The Vineyard Gazette obituary mentioned that John was a founding member of the Martha’s Vineyard Historical Society.

Most important to John must have been his work at The Central Presbyterian Church in Morristown where he was a lifetime member. This is clear from the picture selected for the program for his memorial service. That picture shows him standing in front of the pulpit of the Church surrounded by bags of food collected for the Church’s Human Needs Pantry. Standing in front of that pulpit he was "preaching” the message of his faith in a concrete way, and his way went beyond using words.

John also never mentioned to me his "great friend and love, Roberta Steiner”. I believe she died in 2007. Again I don’t remember John ever mentioning her.

John was a talented, service-oriented and very likeable guy; a great credit to the Class.

January 2016 - George Aman

William Brewster Purdy
We have received word from Matt Werth who reports that Bill Purdy died on November 26, 2014. 

William Brewster Purdy, 87, died Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 in his residence at Harbor's Edge. He was born in Orange, NJ and was son of the late Alvin C. and Dorothy Fullerton Purdy. Bill graduated from the Lawrenceville School in Lawrenceville, NJ and earned a BA from Princeton University class of 1950. He then served in the U.S. Army and was stationed in Korea. He retired as a Financial Advisor having worked in both New York City and Norfolk. Bill was a former member of the Norfolk Yacht and Country Club and a past member of the Board of Directors of the Virginia Opera. Left to cherish his memory is his sister, Nancy L. Purdy of Basking Ridge, NJ. Interment of his cremains will be in Hillside Cemetery in Middletown, NY at a later date. In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to the Virginia Zoological Society, 3500 Granby St., Norfolk, VA 23504. H. D. Oliver Funeral Apts., Norfolk Chapel is handling arrangements. Online condolences may be made at - See more at:

John Alfred LaGrua ,Jr.
We have received word from John Cartier ’60 who reports that John LaGrua ’52 died on October 4, 2014.  

John Alfred LaGrua, Jr., of New York City, died October 4 after a long illness. His death saddened friends and relatives, leaving the community depleted by the loss of a strong and sensitive individual. The cause of his death was heart failure, according to members of his family.

The son of John A. LaGrua, Sr. and Mary Arbuthnot LaGrua, John was born in 1930 and grew up in Queens and Manhattan, attending for one year Columbia College before transferring to Princeton, where he joined Tiger Inn and graduated with the Class of 1952. A long career in Wall Street banking followed, eventually leading to his service as president and CEO of several international banks. He led a joint venture of Deutsch Bank and the Union Bank of Switzerland, which later became a part of UBS, the largest bank in Europe. He also served as president and CEO of Scandinavian Securities Corp, an investment bank responsible for the Wallenberg Interests in Sweden.

John lived for a number of years in San Francisco and Chicago and travelled extensively in the latter phases of his career, acquiring broad cultural experiences and many friends abroad. He worked for several years for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and was especially proud of his work teaching the United States banking system in St. Petersburg, Russia.

John was a member of the Links Club and the River Club in Manhattan and the Meadow Club of Southampton, L. I. Since retirement, John was especially drawn to Central Park where he made many friends while walking his dog each day. He contributed regularly to the upkeep and improvement of the Park and also authored an article about the Park for a local publication.

John is survived by a sister, Gloria Dugan, of Naples, Fl., a niece, Barbara Beuerlein, of Huntington, N. Y., a niece, Pamela Dugan, of Naples, Fl., and a grand-nephew, William Beuerlein, of Huntington. He will be missed by them and his many friends.

A Memorial Service for John will be held at St. Ignatius Loyola Church, 980 Park Ave, New York, on Tuesday, Dec. 23 at 1:30 P.M. [Posted December 20]

John took a detour through Columbia after graduating from Bayside High School and joined us in sophomore year. He joined Tiger Inn and worked on the Class Memorial Insurance Fund—prefiguring his career in finance. He was in the Catholic Club and worked as a research assistant at the Forrestal Research Center.

John died in New York, his longtime and much relished home, on October 4, 2014. In his entry for "The Book of Our History”, John reported working in Wall Street, becoming the president of a foreign-affiliated investment bank, which involved much travel on European assignments. After retiring from the bank he took up consulting, in the course of which he taught a class on capital markets in St. Petersburg that he recalled with pleasure.
Written by J.P.D. Moore, November 22, 2014

Robert Leslie Stott,Jr.

November 10, 2014
Robert Leslie Stott, Jr., 84, of Vero Beach, FL, died peacefully, surrounded by family, at home on November 10. Bob is survived by wife of 30 years, Heidi Bingham Stott; brother Donald B. Stott of Summit, NJ and North Palm Beach, FL; sons David and Lawrence; daughters-in-law Micki and Megan; five grandchildren; stepchildren Kathleen Fell Connor, John Fell, Michael Fell and Jeffrey Fell; and four step-grandchildren. Services will be held at The Community Church of Vero Beach, FL on November 21. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to The Vero Beach Museum of Art, 3001 Riverside Park Drive, Vero Beach, FL 32963 or The Community Church of Vero Beach, 1901 23rd Street, Vero Beach, FL 32960. – New York Times.

Howard B. Wentz, Jr.

September 19, 2014
Howard thoroughly and proudly enjoyed his relationship to the class of ’52. He came to us from Principia in St. Louis and achieved here a BS in Engineering. He followed Princeton with service as a USN Lieutenant JG before employment at the

Jet Propulsion Laboratory of NASA. From there he went on to Harvard Business School (’57) where he met his wife of 56 years Judith Ann Blough. They married in 1958, eventually settling in New Canaan, CT centered around a Manhattan business career migrating through engineering consultation, operational management and business leadership. He spent the bulk of his career within Amstar Corporation (Chair, Pres., CEO), Esstar Inc. (Chair) and Tambrands (Chair) while serving on the boards of Colgate-Palmolive, Uniroyal Inc. and others.

He was an avid golfer, wingshooter, clays shooter, fly fisherman and racquet sportsman. He enjoyed these pastimes with Judy, Princeton alumni, colleagues, family and friends spending time on the links in Hobe Sound, FL and the fields and streams of Blooming Grove Club, PA among other golf and city clubs.

Howard was a believer in the need to progress America’s sciences education to shore up economic competitiveness. In his name is a Junior Faculty Award at the School for Engineering and Applied Sciences, which he established with the purpose of recognizing and assisting promising junior faculty members in engineering. Additionally, he established with his wife a teaching chair in interdisciplinary studies, a teaching fellowship and a Pre-Engineering Program at Kent School.

Howard passed due to congestive heart failure and is survived by his wife of 56 years, three children and four grandchildren. He was predeceased by his brother Sidney Frederick Wentz ’54. His brother–in-law is William W. French lll ’53.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Wentz Pre-Engineering Program at Kent School, Kent, CT. 06757

A memorial service will be held Saturday, September 27th at 10:00AM at the

First Presbyterian Church of Hawley, 815 Church Street, Hawley, PA 18428.

John C. Giordano, Jr.

John C. Giordano, Jr., known to many as "Jack,” of Southampton and Middletown, New Jersey, died at his Southampton home on September 11. He was 84.

The youngest of three children, Mr. Giordano was born in Long Branch, New Jersey, on March 17, 1930, to Ruth Hadenwald Giordano and John C. Giordano Sr. He attended the Lawrenceville School, graduating in 1948; Princeton University, earning a bachelor’s degree in 1952; and Rutgers University School of Law, graduating Phi Delta Phi in 1955. He was editor of the Rutgers Law Review from 1953 to 1955 and law secretary to New Jersey Supreme Court Justice William J. Brennan Jr. from 1954 to 1955.

Upon completing his clerkship with Justice Brennan, Mr. Giordano formed the Giordano & Giordano law firm in Long Branch with his father, the Honorable John C. Giordano Sr., who served as a Superior Court judge in Monmouth and Ocean counties and retired from the bench to join his son’s new law practice. The law firm grew much larger over the years and ultimately became Giordano, Halleran & Ciesla of Middletown. Under Mr. Giordano’s leadership and vision, the firm became a multi-service law firm focusing on business, real estate, health care, environmental and securities and litigation. Today, the firm has a total of 116 lawyers and support staff.

During his career, Mr. Giordano represented major commercial and residential real estate developers throughout New Jersey. He was instrumental in the enactment of legislation to permit a new New Jersey Turnpike interchange and bridge to provide turnpike access to and from the Jersey Gardens Retail Center in Union County. He served as an advisor to clients on a variety of legal issues including the acquisition and subsequent management of the Boston Celtics, as well as the formation of the Hartford Whalers and related application to the National Hockey League.

As well as having an outstanding legal career, Mr. Giordano was instrumental in the success of several business ventures, survivors said. He was a promoter and a founding member of the First State Bank of Ocean County, subsequently the Middletown Banking Co. He was a principal in Countrywide Development Corporation and 2 JG Associates, in which he participated in the acquisition of developable land, obtaining approvals, construction of the projects and subsequent sales.

In 1963, he was one of three founding members of the Navesink Country Club in Middletown, and he oversaw the acquisition of the club’s site overlooking the Navesink River, as well as the development of the clubhouse, PGA golf course, hockey rink, tennis and paddle courts.

Early in his career, Mr. Giordano was active in the Monmouth County Democratic Party and ran for State Assembly. He was an advisor to New Jersey Governor Robert Meyner and an election campaign advisor and chief strategist to New Jersey Governor James Florio. He remained involved in the political process as a mentor to state senators and assemblymen.

Survivors said Mr. Giordano was an inspirational and charismatic leader for his law firm for more than 55 years. Due to his extraordinary legal acumen and counsel, they said, he was responsible for the ongoing prosperity of the firm and its clients. They said his work ethic and ability to develop professional and personal relationships was unsurpassed and that as result many clients became lifelong friends and confidants who never lost touch with him.

Mr. Giordano is survived by his wife, Andrea J. (Cerullo) Giordano; three sons—whose mother was the late Mary Kay Wertheim Giordano—and their spouses, John C. "JC” Giordano III (Errol Train Giordano), Mark V. Giordano (Sallie Dinkel Giordano), Paul G. Giordano; and stepson, V. Andrew Cerullo; five grandchildren, John "Jake” C. Giordano IV, Schuyler H. Giordano, Nicholas B. Giordano, Leta K. Giordano and Allegra L. Giordano. He is also survived by two sisters, Gloria Henneberry and Joy Conhagen, and their families.

Robert L. Goodale

Dr. Robert L. Goodale of Minneapolis died July 17, 2014. A memorial service was held Tuesday, August 5 at 2:30pm at St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral in Minneapolis. In lieu of flowers, memorials are preferred to the Dr. Robert and Katherine Goodale Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund, c/o University of Minnesota Foundation, PO Box 860266, Mpls, MN 55486-0266

Dr. Robert L. Goodale’s name graces a downtown Minneapolis theater that his donations helped to refurbish. But before he was an arts philanthropist, Goodale was a pioneering surgeon at the University of Minnesota who was instrumental in developing now commonplace noninvasive procedures that allow patients to return home the same day.  Goodale, who died of cancer at age 84 on July 17, was the founding director of the university’s Department of Endoscopy and helped to introduce laparoscopic technology to U.S. medicine. He joined the faculty in 1967 as the last appointee of noted Surgery Department head Dr. Owen Wangensteen before he retired.  Goodale’s groundbreaking research included an extended trip to Japan in 1978 to observe advances in noninvasive surgical technology.  "He set the standards and taught the rest of us,” said his colleague Dr. Henry Buchwald. "He was one of the people who popularized this kind of surgery not only in the Twin Cities but throughout the country.”

Richard Sterling Porter 

TOPSHAM, ME — Richard Sterling Porter, age 85, of 80 Governors Way, died Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014.

He was born May 14, 1929, in Newton, MA, the son of W. Edwin and Mabel Saunders Porter.

He graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy, Princeton University, and University of Virginia Law School. He served as lieutenant in the U.S. Army and worked for Alcan Inc. for 31 years. In 1955, he married Sara Patten McCrum. They lived in Charlottesville, VA, Cleveland Heights, OH, and Montreal, Quebec. When he retired, they moved to Brunswick in 1988 and to Topsham in 2007.

He was predeceased by his wife and is survived by two sons both living in Brunswick, John Sterling Porter and Edwin Ross Porter, his wife Karon Diane Salch and their son Samuel John Porter, and by a brother, William Ross Porter of Dallas.

Friends may visit from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday,August 28, at Brackett Funeral Home, 29 Federal St., Brunswick. For those unable to attend, condolences to the family may be posted and a "Tribute” of his life viewed at

At the request of Mr. Porter, there will be no funeral service. Memorial contributions may be made to Tedford Housing, P.O. Box 958, Brunswick, ME 04011.


Charles Twiggs Myers       

          Charles Twiggs Myers, 83, a legendary history teacher and coach at Berkshire School for over four decades, died at Berkshire Medical Center on June 14 as a result of injuries suffered in a fall at home. 
          A true Renaissance man, Mr. Myers had interests beyond the classroom and playing fields that ranged from land preservation to railroad trains, from trees and flowers to all kinds of clocks, from baseball and football (i.e., Phillies and Eagles) to the back roads of the Berkshires and the Adirondacks, where he spent his summers. Twiggs Myers was born on August 2, 1930, in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, the youngest of three children of Charles Myers, a Philadelphia attorney, and the former Gertrude James Hearne. He was the namesake of his great-great grandfather, David Emmanuel Twiggs, a hero of the Mexican War and later commander of the Department of Texas for the United States Army. When the War Between the States broke out, Major Twiggs, a Georgian, promptly turned the department over to the Confederacy, which commissioned him a Major General. Born in 1790, he was the oldest Confederate general in the Civil War.
          As a child in Wayne, Pennsylvania, Twiggs Myers went to elementary school in nearby Radnor and from fourth through twelfth grades attended the private Haverford School. During his childhood, he raised homing pigeons kept in a loft attached to the family garage. Every summer, a baggage master on the Pennsylvania Railroad would take pigeons belonging to the young Twiggs and other local members of the International Federation of American Homing Pigeon Fanciers to as far away as Columbus, Ohio, or even Indianapolis, one thousand miles distant, and then release them. (Years later, Mr. Myers would raise chickens at his home on Berkshire School Road in Sheffield, which he delighted in calling Laywell Farm.) In 1948, he entered Princeton University, where his father had graduated in 1909, when Woodrow Wilson was its president. In his oral history of Berkshire School, Mr. Myers readily admitted that his academic progress was, in his words, "frequently hindered by the many social distractions of college life." He said he got by because of his passion for history, particularly the Civil War. Among other members of Princeton's Class of 1952 were Dick Kazmaier, a star tailback on Princeton's football team and the last Ivy Leaguer to win the Heisman Trophy, and James A. Baker, Secretary of the Treasury under Ronald Reagan and Secretary of State under George H.W. Bush.
          Twiggs Myers graduated from Princeton in 1952 with a degree in history and, he said, no idea of what he wanted to do. He drifted into Harvard Law School and soon discovered he did not want to be a lawyer. "I found the whole business of the law distasteful," he said, "and I had a very miserable year in Cambridge." But he knew that he loved history. He wryly noted that he also had "an unrealistic view of the romance of teaching at a boarding school." So, following his year at Harvard, Twiggs Myers headed west to the Berkshires, where he found his direction, his calling and his home. At Berkshire School, Mr. Myers was among the last of a breed: the bachelor schoolmaster whose institution is his love and whose students are his children. He taught history there his focus was American history in general and the Civil War in particular from 1953 to 1995, when he was named the school's Senior Master Emeritus. In 1974, he built his home on Berkshire School Road, where his immediate neighbor to the east was his Berkshire School mentor and friend, Arthur Chase. Mr. Myers taught track and field his entire career and, in 1966, founded the school's cross country running program, whose teams racked up 200 victories while he was coach.
          After retiring, Mr. Myers served as the school's archivist and continued to take meals with the students and faculty. A popular figure at alumni celebrations, he remained especially close with members of his first graduating class, which, at its 25th reunion, named him an honorary member of the Class of 1957. In 1995 Mr. Myers was named Honorary Distinguished Alumnus, and in 2001 he joined Berkshire's board of trustees. At the end of every academic year, awards in his name are given for teaching, excellence in history, and achievement in cross country running. In the spring of 2012, a sports car whisked Mr. Myers through a phalanx of cheering students, faculty, and friends en route to the dedication of the Myers Lobby in Berkshire Hall, the school's main academic building.
          An inveterate storyteller with a quick, often irreverent, wit among the staples in his repertoire was Adlai Stevenson's quip, "I find Norman Vincent Peale appalling and St. Paul appealing "Mr. Myers was ever the optimist. In a 1995 commencement address, he urged Berkshire graduates to share that optimism. "Is there anything to be won either for yourselves or for the rest of humanity by lamenting the malignancy of the times?" he asked them. "A spirit that rejoices in life may be quicker to heal its neighbor's misery. This is not the first century in which the world has lived with calamity; over students in the Middle Ages, the skies hung dark indeed. Theirs was an uncertain fate, but still they made songs and sang them, songs whose gaiety has survived all their unhappiness, and one such song has survived to this day: Guadeamus! Let us be joyful!"
          In addition to his countless former students, Mr. Myers's survivors include his sister, Eliza Miller; nieces Diane Hulburt, Katje McIntyre, Wendy Miller, and Susan Curtin; nephews Hunter Ten Broeck and Mark Miller; 12 grand-nephews and nieces; and 5 great-grandnephews and nieces. A memorial service for Twiggs Myers will be held in July at a time and place to be announced. Gifts in his memory may be made to Berkshire School or to the Sheffield Land Trust in care of Birches Roy Funeral Home, 33 South Street, Great Barrington MA 01230.
Published in The Berkshire Eagle on June16,2014

MacKinnon Simpson '65 wrote:  I just rec'd notification from Berkshire School that your classmate Twiggs Myers died this past Saturday. Twiggs taught me American History at Berkshire and was a major influence in my career. A great man. Here is the notice I got from the School:

To the Berkshire Community,  
          It is with profound sadness that I share that Twiggs Myers passed away this past Saturday, June 14, as a result of injuries suffered in a fall at home. Peter Kinne was with him at Berkshire Medical Center, where Twiggs had been resting comfortably and peacefully for two days prior. With this tragic news, Berkshire loses a truly exceptional person and a legendary school master, someone who touched the lives of countless members of our community and with ties across over 60 of the School's 107-year history.  

          As many of us saw, Twiggs was at his very best this past Reunion Weekend, making the full rounds of campus over the weekend, participating in many of the events, and eagerly reconnecting with indebted alums from every decade in attendance. Over my own time at Berkshire, there is hardly a day that has passed without a member of our community, past and present, invoking a lesson learned at the side of this great man. Joining him for a conversation over a dining table in Benson was, for me, always an occasion to draw upon his wisdom, perspective, and famous wit. As we all know well, Twiggs was never shy about telling you what was on his mind and exactly how he felt about it! In so many ways, he represents the soul and conscience of Berkshire, with both rooted in relationships that spanned Seaver and Ann Buck, the School’s founders, to the current students with us today. His loyal stewardship of the School’s mission and values ultimately defines his legacy, and I find some comfort knowing that this will live on in the lives of all whom he touched.   

          Twiggs, as you would all expect and appreciate, was very clear in his wishes for our remembrances of him. A service is planned for Saturday, July 12 at 11:00 a.m. at Christ Church Episcopal and Trinity Lutheran Church in Sheffield, Mass. There will be a reception following on campus, in the Myers Lobby of Berkshire Hall. I look forward to welcoming back to campus all those who can join us for this occasion.

          An additional service, later in July, is being planned for Essex, New York on Lake Champlain where Twiggs spent summers during his childhood and his many years at Berkshire. Finally, Twiggs was also clear that he wished for our extended Berkshire community to remember him as part of next June's Reunion Weekend. I'm sure other moments will emerge as we struggle to move forward from his loss and to celebrate his staggering contributions to Berkshire over all these years.

For now, please join Lucia and me in sending our thoughts and prayers to Twiggs and his family. The likes of him we will never see again, but in all of us… the thousands of Berkshire alumni, faculty and staff past and present, students, parents, and friends of the school... we carry his remarkable legacy and his enduring love for Berkshire forward forever.

To read the obituary written by James Harris, click
To view a video, photo gallery and to share your thoughts and memories of Twiggs, click

With great, great sadness,

Pieter M. Mulder
Head of School

Robert C. Johnston

Robert (Bob) C. Johnston, Esq., 83, passed away on June 1, 2014, at his home in Princeton, NJ. He was born in New York City, NY, on Oct. 21, 1930. After graduating from Deerfield Academy, Bob studied at Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, from which he received his AB degree, before going on to obtain his LLB from Harvard Law School. 

Bob enjoyed a notable career as an attorney working first for Dewey, Ballantine, Bushby, Palmer & Wood in New York, NY, before forming his own law firm, Johnston & Ward, also based in New York City. However, it was at Squibb Pharmaceutical Company that he spent the majority of his career, serving as both vice president and general counsel for the Squibb Medical Products Group. Demonstrating a lifelong dedication to the legal profession, he joined the Princeton firm of Smith, Stratton, Wise, Heher & Brennan as partner upon his official retirement. 

Bob proudly served as an officer in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. Bob made his mark through his charitable and civic involvement with the community. An ardent member of the Democratic Party, he was involved with both the Freeport Democratic Club and Hopewell Valley Democratic Club. Additionally, he served the Freeport PTA and school board campaign organizations; the Hopewell Township Planning Board; the Stony Brook Millstone Watershed Association; the Freeport NAACP chapter; the Preservation New Jersey; the Hopewell Valley Historical Association; Planned Parenthood Association (Mercer Area), and Princeton Pro Musica. At the time of his death, Bob was an active member of the Pennington Presbyterian Church, co-founder and former chairman of the D&R Greenway Land Trust, and trustee and treasurer of the Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space. 

Bob is survived by Grace Previty Johnston, his beloved wife of 14 years who, among many other accomplishments, is a well-recognized pastel artist and teacher. He is also survived by his four children and their spouses: Kathryn Johnston (David Wolf); Barbara Johnston (Martha Kelch); Kenneth Johnston (Carolyn Johnston), and Carol Johnston (Richard P. Curran), as well as his wife's four children and their spouses: Adrienne Booth (Matt Garamone); Richard E. Booth (Julie Booth); Marigrace Wuillaume (Francis Wuillaume), and Krista Crowe (Chris Crowe). He leaves behind 12 grandchildren: Daniel, Jenna, Sorrel, Tyler, Adam, Alex, Thomas, Claire, Chloe, Cate, Haley, and Jackson. He also leaves behind his brother Reverend David K. Johnston (Valerie Johnston) and two nieces, Martha Bishop and Sarah Brady. Bob was predeceased by his devoted wife of 43 years, Nancy Bakken Johnston, who, among her many other accomplishments, served as president for both the Hopewell Valley Board of Education and Mercer County Master Gardeners. 

A celebration of Bob's life will be held at 11 a.m. on Friday, June 6, at the Pennington Presbyterian Church, located at 13 South Main Street in Pennington, NJ, with a reception to follow. The Rev. Nancy Miksoki will officiate. The family suggests donations be made in Bob's memory to D&R Greenway Land Trust, Pennington Presbyterian Church, or the St. James Roman Catholic Church of Pennington. Arrangements are by the Wilson-Apple Funeral Home, 2560 Pennington Road, Pennington, NJ. Condolences are welcome at
Published in The Times, Trenton, on June4,2014 March 6, 1931-May 31, 2014

Note: Bob served the Class of '52 as a member of the Class Executive Committee from 2012 until his death.

J. Edgar Thomson "Jet" Rutter

March 6, 1931-May 31, 2014

Jet's wife Kit wrote:  "As you may know, Jet passed away May 31, 2014, from pancreatic cancer.  Enclosed is a copy of his obit which he wrote just two weeks before he died."

J. Edgar Thomson "JET" Rutter II departed to see the Lord on May 31, 2014, at age 83, after a short bout with cancer (it seemed longer.)  J.E.T. Rutter was born in what he liked to call "The People’s Republic of Santa Monica,” California on March 6, 1931, the son of Thomas Renaud Rutter (Princeton class of 1913) and Abby Holstein Rutter. He graduated from Chadwick School, located in the then-boondocks of Rolling Hills.  In those days he was known as "Ned" or "Ed."  He attended Princeton University.  After flunking out of the pre-med program, "Jet" finally graduated with honors from the Department of Religion and Philosophy, with a minor in Economics.  During his senior year at Princeton, Jet was the Captain of the Princeton Fencing team, and was named as an alternate for the 1952 Olympics..

The day after graduating from Princeton, June 18, 1952, "the luckiest day of his life" Jet married Lenore "Kit" Kittredge, daughter of Princeton Senior Professor of Engineering, Clifford Kittredge (who was delighted to hear about Jet’s beer drinking and bawdy song singing abilities.) In 1955, with assistance from Kit, who worked full time to support them, Jet graduated from USC law school. He was then drafted into the U.S. Army (where he wasted two years and some taxpayer money), and was stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska.  When he returned to California (in 1957) he took a job practicing law with a mid-sized law firm in Los Angeles.

In 1959, he formed a partnership with Dennis Carpenter and practiced law in Newport Beach until 1968, when he was appointed to the Municipal Court.  In 1970 he was promoted to the Superior Court.  Judge Rutter organized the Family Law Panel for the Orange County Superior Court; he resigned from the bench in 1985 as the senior judge of that panel.  Thereafter, he worked as a mediator, private judge, arbitrator, and appellate law consultant.

After shaking off their children (they thought), Kit and Jet traveled extensively, and enjoyed their waterfront home on Lido Isle, their condo in Palm Desert, as well as their friends at The Newport Harbor Yacht Club.

Jet Rutter lived most of his life on Lido Isle in Newport Beach, and served as board President of the Lido Isle Community Association. He was a founding member of the Newport Harbor Nautical Museum and served for many years on the board and as its President. His charitable efforts included Saint James Anglican Church and the Lighthouse Outreach Ministries in Costa Mesa.

Jet was an avid free diver, SCUBA diver, and a mediocre and boogie boarder (until he had to have his back fused from "going over the falls" and other clumsy mistakes.)  He enjoyed gardening, boating, and singing and playing guitar (not good  but loud).  His repertory of bawdy songs (his repertory of bawdy songs and limericks was legendary.

Jet Rutter is survived by his wife of 62 years, Kit, who has stood by him all these years, and by their four children and three grandchildren (Thomas R. Rutter II, John P. Rutter, Lynne Rutter, and Lee Runnels,  and grandchildren Elizabeth Rutter, Jet Rutter, and Griffin Runnels).

Jet Rutter was a man who was hard to ignore - whether or not you miss him is up to you.                                           --- JETR II May 14, 2014

Samuel Wilson Pringle, Jr.

On May 11, 2014, due to heart failure. Born to Samuel W. and Margaret "Peg" (Thumm) Pringle on October 14, 1930, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Grew up in Mt. Lebanon and lived in O'Hara Township. Current residence Lansdowne, VA. Married Barbara B. Pringle on April 21, 1979. They were married for 35 years. He was a devoted member of the Fox Chapel Presbyterian Church, where he served as Head Usher and member of many church committees for many years. Former member of St. Clair Country Club and Longue Vue Club, and the Masonic Lodge of Dormont. 

Sam was an avid golfer who enjoyed playing bridge, singing in the choir, and exercising. He attended Mt. Lebanon public schools. Graduated from the Mercersburg Academy preparatory school in 1948,and from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs where he was a member of the Terrace Club, glee club, and sang in the church choir. Sam prepared a thesis on "Wage Stabilization in the Battle Against Inflation" and graduated with honors with the Class of 1952. He earned his law degree from Harvard Law School in 1955.

He served as assistant to Federal Judge Joseph P. Wilson from 1955 until 1957. Sam worked for his father's law firm from 1957 to 1960. He then joined US Steel's law department as an attorney in in the real property division, enjoying a nearly 40-year career with U.S. Steel, retiring in 1997. After retiring from US Steel, Sam worked as a real estate attorney for Sprint Communications, Inc., from 1998 until 2005. He was a member of the American Bar Association and the Allegheny County Bar Association. 

Survived by wife, Barbara B. Pringle; four children, Marybeth Edgar and her husband, Lee of Falls Church City, VA, S. Wilson Pringle III and his wife, Meredith of Summit, NJ, Robert E. Walley IV. and his wife, Cindy of Huntersville, NC, and Philip P. Pringle of Greenville, SC; nine grandchildren, Caroline Jarrard, Grant Edgar, Sophie Edgar, Will Pringle, Sloane Pringle, Alexis Walley, Morgan Walley, Robert Walley V, and Alex Pringle. In lieu of flowers, donations in Mr. Pringle's name can be sent to Fox Chapel Presbyterian Church, 384 Fox Chapel Road, Pittsburgh, PA. 15238. Arrangements are being handled by SLACK FUNERAL HOME, (www.slackfuneralhome. com) 3871 Old Columbia Pike, Ellicott City, MD, 21043, 410-465-4400410-465-4400. Private Funeral Services will be held in Doylestown, PA at Doylestown Presbyterian Church. Interment in the National Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa.
Send condolences at

Published in Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on May 14,2014

George Moses Knebel, Jr.

GEORGE MOSES KNEBEL, JR.  died Monday, April 28, 2014. Born in Venezuela, he was a son of the late George Moses Knebel Sr. and Carolyn G. Knebel. He spent the 1st 10 years of his life at an American Oil Camp in Venezuela, where his father was a Geologist and Exploration Manager. Once back in the states, George graduated from Scarsdale High School in Scarsdale, NY. He received a BA from Princeton University and an MBA from Wharton School of Business. Mr. Knebel served in the US Army after college in the 101st Airborne Division in Germany. Then he went to work for IBM as a Systems Engineer in NYC & White Plains, NY. He was promoted to Systems Engineering Manager and spent many years in Chattanooga, TN and Atlanta, GA. 

Mr. Knebel was dedicated to serving his community and his church. In Scarsdale, NY, he became a Mason, of which he was a lifelong member. In Chattanooga, he was an active Civitan and received the "Man of the Year" award and served as an officer of the group for many years. A devout Episcopalian, Mr. Knebel served as a Jr. and Sr. Warden, and on the vestry at the Church of the Good Shepherd on Lookout Mtn., TN. He also was an active member of St. Martin's In the Fields, in Dunwoody, GA. In Columbia, SC he joined Trinity Cathedral and regularly attended services at The Chapel at Still Hopes. Mr. Knebel is most remembered for his qualities of honesty, kindness and generosity. He will be sorely missed by his family and friends. He is survived by his sister, Betty Kahle (Loren) of Austin, TX; his daughter, Carolyn Green (Win) of Blythewood, SC; His son, Craig Knebel (Jennifer) of Darien, CT; His grandchildren, Bill, Meghan and Tanner Green of Blythewood, SC; and Emily, Laura, Nicholas and Bradley Knebel of Darien, CT. He is also survived by his dear friend, Jane Berry, of West Columbia, SC. He was predeceased by his wife of 49 years, Jane Ann H. Knebel. The family wishes to thank the staff at Solutions for Living at Still Hopes along with Dr. John Gould and his partners for the loving care they provided. 

Memorial service for George Moses Knebel Jr., 83, will be held at 3:00 p.m. Saturday, May 31, 2014, at Chapel of the Holy Spirit at Still Hopes. There will be a reception at Still Hopes following the service. The burial will be private. Dunbar Funeral Home, Devine Street Chapel, is assisting the family. Memorials may be made to The American Chestnut Foundation at Please sign the online guestbook at

Published in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on May 2, 2014

George Cochran Denby

GEORGE COCHRAN DENBY, the son of James Orr Denby, U.S. Vice Consul to Peking, China, and Phyllis Cochran Denby from Philadelphia, passed away on Wednesday, May 7, 2014 in Wilmington, NC.  George was born in Peking, China in 1929. His father was also born in Peking, the grandson of Charles Denby, the first U.S. Minister to China. The family spent the first fourteen years of his life in a number of foreign countries; Ireland for five years, Italy, Austria and South Africa. He developed an abiding interest in the life and history of South Africa. He had the opportunity with his family to travel throughout South Africa and to undertake a lengthy and memorable trip from Capetown to Khartoum. 

He attended Le Rosey School in Switzerland, Millbrook School in Millbrook, NY, and attended Princeton University. He spent five years in the US Air Force, several of them on assignment to a number of Asian countries while stationed in Honolulu as an aide to Commanding General Curtis LeMay, retiring as a Captain. He considered his duty with the Air Force as one of the defining periods of his life. 

A resident of Washington, DC, since the mid-fifties, he entered the brokerage business with Auchincloss, Parker and Redpath; Thomson and McKinnon, Prudential Securities and retired from Wachovia Securities. He was a former president of St. John's Community Services, a member and former Governor of Chevy Chase Club and a member of the Metropolitan Club. He had a keen interest in chess and played with the Metropolitan Club chess team and elsewhere. Beginning in 1980, he spent weeks to several months a year in Emerald Isle, NC, and for the past 18 years at Figure Eight Island in Wilmington, NC. He was deeply appreciative of the opportunities coastal activities presented to his family, and as a consequence it became an especially rewarding period of his life. 

He leaves Marion von Hagen Kober, the mother of his two sons, Douglas and Nicholas. He is survived by his loving wife of 22 years Carmen Yoma from Santiago, Chile; his son Douglas, married to Courtney Gregory and their three children Marcella (17), Meredith (14), and George (10); his other son Nick, married to Brooke Holt and their two children Grayson (12), and Douglas (8). He is also survived by his dear brother Douglas Denby of Washington, DC; married to Christiane, and his niece and nephew, Catherine Koutalas and Christopher Denby. In lieu of flowers, the family would appreciate a donation to the wonderful Lower Cape Fear Hospice Foundation of Wilmington, NC at Lower Cape Fear Hospice, 1414 Physicians Drive, Wilmington, NC 28401 or online Condolences to the family at Andrews Mortuary Market Street, Wilmington, NC. Market Street, Wilmington, NC.

Thomas Spencer Knight, Jr.

Thomas S. Knight, Jr. died peacefully at his Greenwich, CT home Sunday morning, May 4, 2014, shortly after midnight. Knight was born in Rochester, NY on May 9, 1930. He graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy in 1948 and went on to Princeton University graduating in 1952. 

Shortly thereafter he traveled to Europe where he met his future wife of forty-eight years, Kathleen Craig, while they waited together in line to collect mail at the American Express office in Paris. He served his country in Korea during the War as a 2nd lieutenant in the United States Army with the 555th Field Artillery Battalion. Upon his return from active duty he began a career in advertising with Young & Rubicam in New York, where he was as an account executive for over twenty years ultimately retiring from advertising with the firm E. B. Wilson. In addition he was a board member of PNC New England Bank. 

An avid hunter, fisherman, and golfer, Knight pursued those hobbies throughout his life and was on the Board of Directors of the Round Hill Club and the Trout and Salmon Foundation. Knight dedicated his time to several charitable organizations including St. James Church in Manhattan where he served on the vestry and became president of the Rector's Council, Portsmouth Abbey School where he was a member of the Board of Regents, the United Way of Greenwich, and the YMCA of Greenwich. 

His greatest philanthropic passion was Orbis International which he co-founded with Dr. David Paton. From its humble origins in a few spare offices in Young & Rubicam's Madison Avenue headquarters, Orbis has gone on to provide ophthalmological training to three hundred twenty-five thousand medical professionals in ninety-two countries and saved the vision of twenty-five million people around the globe. Knight is survived by his wife, his four sons, T. Spencer Knight III, George C. Knight, James E. Knight, and Peter A. Knight as well as their wives Patricia, Meghan, Alison and Samantha, along with his twelve grandchildren.  Funeral service was held on Friday, May 9th, 2014 at 11 AM at St. Michael's Parish - 469 North Street, Greenwich, CT. The family has requested in lieu of flowers that donations be sent to Orbis International at If you wish to leave an online condolence please visit

On May 9, 2014, at 5:26 PM, Dick Gillespie wrote:  I attended Tom’s service this morning at Saint Michael’s Parish and the church was packed to the gills. A wonderful testimony particularly by his children. I did not see other classmates but it was a large crowd and some may have been there. I did see Mimi Pivirotto who looked wonderful. Tom was a great person but somehow lost touch with us in the past 20 years or so.    Dick Gillespie

George A. Nankervis, Ph.D., M.D.

George A. Nankervis, Ph.D., M.D., age 84, died April 8, 2014.
Preceded in death by sister, Jane Sturdevant of Dayton, Maine, he is survived by Janet, his beloved wife of 59 years; two children, Patricia Van Lengen (Charles) of Evanston, Ill. and Craig Nankervis (Mary Ann) of Dublin, Ohio; brother-in-law, Franklyn Sturdevant of Dayton, Maine; nieces, Ruth Smith and Nancy Sturdevant; nephew, David Sturdevant; and two grandchildren, Christopher and Elizabeth Nankervis.

Dr. Nankervis was born on April 1, 1930 in Meriden, Conn. He graduated from Meriden High School in 1948 and from Princeton University (summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) in 1952. He served in the U.S. Navy as a gunnery officer on a destroyer from 1952-1955. Following his naval service, Dr. Nankervis received his Ph.D. (Sigma Xi) in Bacteriology in 1959 and his M.D. (with honors, AOA) in 1962 from the University of Rochester. Dr. Nankervis completed his pediatric internship and residency in 1965 at the Children's Hospital Medical Center in Boston, Mass. and his fellowship in Infectious Diseases in 1967 at the Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) at Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospitals (CMGH) in Cleveland, Ohio. Following completion of his fellowship, Dr. Nankervis enjoyed a long and distinguished career in pediatric infectious diseases research, administration, and education.

Dr. Nankervis joined the faculty at CWRU, assigned to CMGH, as an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in 1967, rising to the rank of Professor of Pediatrics in 1976. During his time at CMGH, Dr. Nankervis served as the Director of the Viral Diagnostic Laboratory, where he carried out important bench research and published extensively on congenital viral infections in the newborn, especially cytomegalovirus.

Dr. Nankervis served as the Interim Director of Pediatrics at CMGH from 1977-1979, as Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics at the Medical College of Ohio (MCO) in Toledo, Ohio from 1979-1985, and as the Chairman of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital Medical Center in Akron, Ohio from 1985 through his retirement in 1995. Dr. Nankervis was a member of many important local, state, and national committees, including the Home Away from Home Board of Trustees (Ronald McDonald House), the National Board of Medical Examiners, the Ohio State Medical Association Committee on Infectious Diseases, the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases (Red Book Committee), and the Board of Trustees, Hattie Larlham Foundation. Dr. Nankervis was a member of many professional societies, including the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Infectious Diseases Society of America, and served on the editorial board of Infection and Immunity.

Dr. Nankervis was recognized for excellence in pediatric education throughout his career. He received the Faculty Teaching Award at CWRU in 1977, the Golden Apple Award at MCO in 1982, the Ohio Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics Recognition Award for Distinguished Achievements and Outstanding Contribution to the Advancement of Pediatric Care and Education for Patients and Physicians in 1988, and the Dean's Award at Northeast Ohio Universities College of Medicine (NEOUCOM) in 1995. He was selected by the NEOUCOM graduating classes of 1988, 1991, 1992, 1994, and 1995 to serve as one of their "hooders" during graduation and was selected by the NEOUCOM graduating class of 1996 to administer the Geneva Oath at their graduation.

A memorial service will take place 1 p.m. SUNDAY, April 13th at the Billow FAIRLAWN Chapel, 85 N. Miller Rd. Friends may call at the funeral home from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. SATURDAY, April 12th. Private inurnment will take place at Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery in Rittman. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Children's Hospital Medical Center of Akron, One Perkins Square, Akron, Ohio 44308. To share a Memory, Send a Condolence, Light a Candle or Send Flowers, visit the Tribute Wall at

Thornton Benson "Ted" Morris

Thornton Benson "Ted" Morris, 86, died peacefully in his sleep on March 20, 2014, in Pittsboro, NC. The cause of death was Alzheimer's Disease. The eldest of three children, Ted was born on February 6, 1928 in Plainfield, NJ, to Elizabeth Jenkins Morris and Herbert Leroy Morris. Valedictorian of his Williston Academy class in 1945, he went on to receive a BA in Economics from Princeton University in 1953, having completed his college education in three sessions, scheduled around his service as Chief Petty Officer in the Navy from 1946-48 and 1952. He married Frances Rosalie Van Dyke in 1951 and they had two children, Todd Robertson Morris and Leigh Haviland Morris. 

A dedicated banker, Ted was Assistant Treasurer at Morgan Guaranty Trust Company in New York, NY and Senior Vice President at Branch Bank & Trust in Raleigh, NC before settling with his family in Simsbury, CT, where he presided as President and CEO of Simsbury Bank & Trust Co. from 1964 to 1987 and then became a Founding Member and Chairman of the Executive Committee of First Connecticut Bancorp, Inc. Ted also served as President of the Connecticut Bankers Association, State Vice President of the American Bankers Association and President and Founding Member of the Yankee 24 ATM Network. His commitment to banking was matched only by his commitment to service in his community, serving as Trustee to the Peace College Foundation and the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving, Chairman of the Simsbury Housing Authority, President and Treasurer of the Simsbury Free Library, Vice President and Treasurer of the Ensign-Bickford Foundation and Trustee and Chairman of the Board of Finance of First Church of Christ, Simsbury, CT. 

Retirement in 1987 and his love of sailing, the sea, and distilling beach plum brandy brought Ted and his wife, Rosalie, back to Brewster, MA, where his family had long spent their summers. For Ted, the joy of retirement was the opportunity to more fully explore his talents as a Jack-of-all-trades. He loved fixing clocks, woodworking, home repair of all kinds, and locksmithing (he held a diploma which he had earned by mail in 1975), as well as discussing philosophy and religion, which had been his minors at Princeton. He considered opening a business called "Locks and Clocks," but finally determined that it would interfere too much with the international travel he and Rosalie enjoyed, so instead he turned his many talents once again to public service and took on the task of making repairs to donations at the Cape Cod Council of Churches Service Center, where he also worked with the food bank and spent nights overseeing the homeless shelter. During those years on the Cape, he also served as Director of the Cape Cod Red Cross, Trustee and Financial Committee member of the First Congregational Church of Harwich, and Member of the Board of the Cape Cod Housing Authority. In 2006, Ted and Rosalie moved to Galloway Ridge, in Pittsboro, NC, where his many friends, as well as the staff, enjoyed his celebrated, quick wit and dry sense of humor. Throughout his battle with Alzheimer's, he never lost that sense of humor, frequently astonishing those around him with his unexpected "zingers." His brother, Robert Jenkins Morris and his son, Todd Robertson Morris, predecease Ted. He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Rosalie Morris, his daughter Leigh Haviland Morris and her partner Lynn Denise Seagroves of Durham, NC, his grandchildren, Steven Cameron Morris and Kevin Alexander Morris of League City, TX, his sister, Janet Mitchell of Aiken, SC, his devoted, rescued English cocker spaniel, Annie, and numerous nieces and nephews and great nieces and great nephews, who will all miss their irreplaceable Uncle Thornton immensely. A memorial service was held in the auditorium at Galloway Ridge on April 8, 2014 at 10:00 A.M., and at a later date a service in Brewster, MA and interment at Brewster Cemetery, beside his beloved Brewster Park Club. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to: Cure Alzheimer's Fund 34 Washington Street, Suite 200 Wellesley Hills, MA 02481 781-237-3800781-237-3800 University of North Carolina Hospice P. O. Box 1077 Pittsboro, NC 27312 1-877-715-0606 Galloway Ridge Residents' Reserve Fund Galloway Ridge 300 Galloway Ridge Road Pittsboro, NC 27312 1-800-437-2423
Published in The Hartford Courant from Mar.25 to Mar. 30,2014

Ronald Lee Kinney

Ronald Lee Kinney, age 83, passed away peacefully in his Novato, CA, home on March 3, 2014. Ron was born in Toledo, Ohio, on September 7, 1930, to Russell and Mildred Kinney. After high school, Ron attended Princeton University and received a B.S. in Chemical Engineering. He went on to earn a Masters degree at the University of Michigan. 

After graduation Ron drove out to California on Route 66 and embarked upon a career that lasted 38 years at Chevron Corp. On the trip out west to California, Ron brought along his new bride Marcia. Happily married since 1954, Ron and Marcia celebrated their 60th anniversary on February 27th. Ron was a dedicated and proud father of his three children, Michael Kinney, who preceded him in death, Nancy Andrews (Dr. Mark Andrews) of Calabasas, and Stephen Kinney (Hilary) of Novato. His seven grandchildren provided him with endless enjoyment; Megan and Matthew Kinney, Samantha and Branko Andrews and Hayden, Kendall, and Wyatt Kinney. 

In addition to his involvement with his family's activities, Ron could be found reading; he was especially fond of U.S. and European history, or listening to music throughout the day, as he was a great fan of jazz. It was out in nature, however, that provided him many of his fondest memories, and whether he was with others or by himself, the outdoors was where he was the happiest. Up until a few years ago, Ron could be found in the Marin hills running or biking almost every day. He completed many marathons and other races in California and Colorado including the Dipsea and Pike's Peak. We will always remember Ron and the life he enjoyed. We will miss him dearly. A private service will be held for the family. Charitable donations are welcome at

Published in Marin Independent Journal on Mar. 11,2014

Henry S. Jeanes III

Henry S. Jeanes III '52 died January 9, 2014. His obituary from the Philadelphia Inquirer follows:

Henry S. Jeanes III, son of the late Henry S. Jeanes Jr. and Grace Price Morgan of Devon, PA died on January 9, 2014. He is survived by Shirley A. Jeanes of Washington DC and their three children Grace P. Jeanes and her wife Leah Basbanes, Dunstable, MA; Amity Jeanes, Cape Neddick, ME; and Henry S. Jeanes IV and his wife Ana and daughters Giulia and Sophia, Cheverly, MD. Harry also leaves his beloved sister Carol J. Hollingsworth, brother Marshall M. Jeanes, and many devoted nieces and nephews.

Harry was born on January 21, 1931 in Philadelphia, PA and grew up in Devon, PA. He attended Haverford School, the Malcolm Gordon School and St. Paul’s School. Harry majored in Geology at Princeton University and later attended the University of California, Davis to study Agronomy. Prior to his study at Davis, he served as an officer in the United States Navy patrolling the Eastern Seaboard during the Korean War.

Harry followed his dream of becoming a farmer and purchased a farm outside Mercersburg, Pennsylvania where he raised sheep. There, in a beautiful valley called Little Cove, he helped raise a family. He was a man of keen intellect and character who loved words, books, art, rocks, stars, plants and animals. He had great empathy for and interest in the world around him. Harry was a true naturalist.  York Harbor, Maine, where Harry spent many summers throughout his life, was a place of great significance to him. He returned to York Harbor in his final months where he passed away surrounded by family.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to The Nature Conservancy or mailed to The Nature Conservancy, Attn: Treasury, Memorial Giving, 4245 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 100, Arlington, VA  22203.  A servicewas held at St. George’s Episcopal Church, 407 York St, York, ME, on January 25, 2014 at 11am. A reception followed at the Hollingsworth home, "Swanwicke”, 168 Western Point Road, York Harbor, ME. Relatives and friends were warmly invited to attend. Interment will be in Devon, PA at a future date.

John C. "Jack" Howell

HOWELL, John C. "Jack" of New Port Richey, passed away on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:40 in the evening. Mr. Howell was born in New Jersey on Sept. 27, 1930. A graduate of Harvard Law School, he was a partner in the law firm of Moore and Howell in Newark, NJ. Mr. Howell is survived by his cousins, Mrs. Barbara B. Rieger of Maryville, TN and Mrs. Elizabeth B. Troutman of Glastonbury, CT. Interment is set for a later date at Florida National Cemetery, Bushnell.

Published in the Tampa Bay Times on Jan. 29, 2014                                                


Upcoming Events