(his dates)
Gift from his 
classmates and friends

Memorials for 2014 are here.
Deaths of members of the Class of 1952 and their wives, depending on the understood wishes of the survivor, are reported to classmates by 52Net email. For the formal memorials, which are limited to 200 words, published in the Princeton Alumni Weekly since 1994, go to the PAW online and click on Memorials, by class or by name.  Since 2002 full obituaries and memorial tributes have been posted on the Class website by year of death.  With the launch of this updated website,  we welcome recent photographs as well as personal tributes.

The Class of 1952 Memorial Book Fund, launched in 1960 with a gift of $2000 from the Class Treasury, provides funds to buy ten books for the University Library in memory of each deceased classmate. Each has the bookplate and inscription shown at right, and the University Librarian writes the next of kin that the Class of 1952 has made the donation.

Ronald H. Aires, December 22
Martin Carey Battestin, May 15
John Frederick Bryan, March 20
Patrick McEvoy Cromwell, September 16
Daniel Duffield, December 25
Edward Davis Gregory, Jr., April 11
William V. Healey, Jr., April 30
John Helm, November 29, 2014
Ira Henry Helman, February 11
Charles Hay Hemminger, April 15
George S. Heyer, Jr., October 10
John Bartholomew Lee, March 13
William C. Long, December 22
Jay C. Master, December 16
Mitchell Mills, February 20
Joseph Edward Murphy, Jr., August 10
Donald Oberdorfer, Jr., July 23
Russell Pierce, March 2
Paul David Piret, April 9
Albert S. Redway, June 24
Klaus Thorvald Rifbjerg, April 4
Charles Schaefer, March 23
Duncan Stephens, May 30
George F. Titterton, November 2

John Rodes Helm
September 1, 1930 – November 29, 2014


A Year After his death on November 29, 2014

John was a remarkable person, who loved singing and books, while also serving the communities where he lived, Montclair, New Jersey and Chilmark, Martha’s Vineyard.

What I saw directly of John’s life reflected chiefly his love of music, especially singing. He sang as a solo first tenor in the Glee Club while I was singing in it as a second bass. I have a record of a Houseparty Concert in which he sang a solo in ”Old Folks at Home”, which brings back a poignant memory. Many years later he sang several times in the Class chorus that performed for the memorial services during our major reunions. That chorus, led by Classmate Jim Evans included several former glee club singers. At every reunion and at other Princeton events we found John because he was always glad to see us and discuss our continued choir singing.

John’s cousin Cathie Hartnett provided additional information about John’s musical activities while he was living and working in New York City. He sang in the chorus of the preeminent Gilbert and Sullivan theatrical organization, the Blue Hill Troupe. Later he sang in the Collegiate Chorale, a well- known chorus singing more serious music.

Almost as important as music for John was reading and collecting books. He worked in New York for three publishing companies. Later, for a few years he worked in a book store in Philadelphia, Sessler’s, located near the office building where I practiced law. He enjoyed that work, and even considered buying the store. The program for his service says "nothing gave him greater joy than producing an annual book sale.” His report in the Class of 1952 Fiftieth Reunion book said he ran two book sales a year. Many of the books in those sale may have been donated by him. I remember seeing him walking into a church in Princeton one morning carrying a box of books he was donating.

John never mentioned to me any of the several philanthropic organizations he was involved in. In the Fiftieth Reunion book he listed three nonprofit boards on which he served. The Vineyard Gazette obituary mentioned that John was a founding member of the Martha’s Vineyard Historical Society.

Most important to John must have been his work at The Central Presbyterian Church in Morristown where he was a lifetime member. This is clear from the picture selected for the program for his memorial service. That picture shows him standing in front of the pulpit of the Church surrounded by bags of food collected for the Church’s Human Needs Pantry. Standing in front of that pulpit he was "preaching” the message of his faith in a concrete way, and his way went beyond using words.

John also never mentioned to me his "great friend and love, Roberta Steiner”. I believe she died in 2007. Again I don’t remember John ever mentioning her.

John was a talented, service-oriented and very likable guy; a great credit to the Class.

January 2016 - George Aman

William Charles Long
September 30, 1930 – December 22, 2015

William C. Long, 85, of New Vernon, NJ passed away at his home on December 22, 2015, A successful patent attorney, world traveler, avid Mets and NY Football Giants fan, and loving father, grandfather and husband, William was born in Mineola and raised in Williston Park, NY. After graduating from Chaminade High School, he attended Princeton University, graduating in 1952 with a degree in Chemical Engineering. While at Princeton, he was a member of Charter Club and captained the 150's football team. He went on to receive his law degree from Seton Hall University and worked as Director of Patents and Licensing for the Halcon SD Group and later in private practice until his retirement in 2007. He traveled the seven continents, loved baking bread for friends and family, and enjoyed golf, fishing and gardening. He was a member of the Old Guard of Summit.

William leaves his wife of 63 years, Anne; his daughters, Joan Melroy and her husband Peter, Carol Loomis and her husband James and Linda Long '82 and her husband George Economy; his son, Richard Long and his wife Maureen. William is also survived by eleven grandchildren including Evelyn Economy '13, and his two sisters, Wilma Meehan and Mary Leonardi. He was predeceased by his son, Robert.

A Memorial Celebration of William's life will be held at Wm. A. Bradley & Son Funeral Home, 345 Main Street in Chatham, NJ on Saturday, January 16th from 11 am to 2 pm with the celebrant service beginning at noon. For further information or to send a condolence, please visit Memorial contributions may be made to the Alzheimer's Association.

From: Linda A. Long '82 P'13

June 24, 1930 – December 22, 2015

Ronald H. Aires, 85, of Columbia, PA and formerly of Lancaster and Ephrata, PA, passed away on Tuesday, December 22, 2015.  Born in Lancaster, PA, Ronald was a son of the late Ray G. and Anna (Hess) Aires.  He is survived by one brother, Randolph H. Aires, husband of Virginia, of Gardners, PA and a number of nieces and nephews.  In addition to his parents, Ronald was preceded in death by one brother, Ramon "Ray” H. Aires.

Ronald was a Secondary Private School Instructor from 1953 to 1965, teaching at schools in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, and Maryland.

Ronald was an avid reader and loved to learn.

For his career in education, he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Princeton University, a Master of Arts degree from Yale University, and studied at Paris-Sorbonne University in Paris, France.

Services for Ronald will be private at the convenience of the family and are under the care of Paul L. Gravenor Home For Funerals, Ephrata, PA.

December 15, 1929 – December 16, 2015

Jay Coxe Master died on December 16, 2015. He was 86.

He was born on December 15, 1929 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to John Coxe Master of Buffalo, New York and Mary Clarissa White of London, England.

Young Jay was raised in Colonial Village, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, the oldest of three boys in the family. From kindergarten through 12th grade, he attended Haverford School for Boys. He next attended Princeton University, where he was a member of the Key Club and the Seal Club. He graduated in 1952 and maintained friendships with fellow students throughout his life, enjoying catching up with classmates even up to his 60th reunion.

He enlisted in the US Army on November 12, 1952 and served with distinction as a member of the 101st Airborne Division during the Korean War until October 12, 1954. He received the Commendation Ribbon with Medal Pendant for outstanding achievement. After the war, Mr. Master was first employed by Armstrong World Industries as an industrial sales trainee in January of 1955. Over the years, he worked for Armstrong in Buffalo, New York, Detroit, Michigan, Chicago, Illinois and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

He next became West Coast sales manager for Thomasville Furniture, a subsidiary of Armstrong World Industries, in the Contract Furniture Services Division and, in the late 1970s, moved to Claremont with his wife Marjorie and their four children, all of whom attended Claremont schools. Jay and Marjorie were subsequently divorced. In 1983, Jay married Jeanne Smith Hazelton in the Claremont Presbyterian Church. Avid golfers, they moved to Upland Hills Country Club in 1988 where they golfed often and where Mr. Master lived until his death.

Following his retirement from Armstrong/Thomasville, he enjoyed working many years in the real estate market for Century 21 in the Upland area. Jay excelled in photography, loved dancing and pursued the study of astronomy. He was a member of Pomona Valley Amateur Astronomers and delighted in sharing his knowledge and expertise with adults and schoolchildren alike.

Jay's greatest hobby was golf. He and Jeanne traveled all over the world, visiting most of Europe, the Far East and Australia, and played golf during 30 trips to the Hawaiian Islands, at St. Andrews in Scotland, throughout their favorite golf course country, Ireland, and at courses in New Zealand, Spain and Costa Rica. They played many courses in the continental United States, as well as some in Alaska. They played frequently in Florida while visiting Jay's mother, who had a home there.

Wherever he lived, Mr. Master was active in the Presbyterian Church. In Claremont, he served on the Session of the Claremont Presbyterian Church (CPC), was chairman of a capital funds campaign and was part of the CPC Men's Breakfast Group. He also loved meeting friends in the Crossroads Group.

He is survived by his wife, Jeanne Master of Upland; brothers Jim Master (Shirley) and Larry Master; children Gwynne Master (Leonardo O'Grady), Neill Master (Arial), Tom Master (Stacy) and Jane Master; and step-children Devon Freitas (Chuck), Teri Lingenfelter and Robyn DeJournett (Robert).

He is also survived by his grandchildren Traharne and Sebastiano O'Grady, Isaac and Ila Master and Yale Seigel; his step-grandchildren Tyson (Jessica) and Jeremy (Alicia) Lingenfelter, Amy Lingenfelter, Heather (Ted) Granger, Traci (Chris) Lanning and Ryan (Michele) DeJournett. In addition, he leaves step-great­grandchildren Sarah and Benjamin Lingenfelter, Paige and Reid Lingenfelter, Tim and Tyler Granger, Kelly, Brent and Aaron Lanning, Isaiah, Cameron, Ryder, Beau and Dani DeJournett, Kyle and Katie Freitas and Joel Freitas.

A visitation will be held on Tuesday, December 29 from 4 to 8 p.m. in the Willow Room at Forest Lawn Mortuary (21300 Via Verde Drive in Covina). Services will be held on Wednesday, December 30 at 11 a.m. at Claremont Presbyterian Church, '1111 N. Mountain Ave. in Claremont, with a reception to follow in the Fellowship Hall. A Committal will be held on Wednesday, December 30 at 2 p.m. in the outdoor mausoleum at Forest Lawn Mortuary.

April 23, 1931 – November 2, 2015

George F. Titterton, Jr., of Glastonbury, CT, beloved husband of the late Myleen A. (Panciera), died, Monday, November 02, 2015, at Duncaster Assisted Living, Bloomfield after a courageous battle with Parkinson's Disease. 

He was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut, on April 23, 1931 to the late George F., Sr. and Ada (Ryan) Titterton. George graduated from Princeton University in 1952, then served as a Lieutenant in the US Navy before working at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft for 37 years. 

George was an avid skier, a recreational golfer, and enjoyed duplicate bridge. He was a dedicated family man who enthusiastically cheered on his children and then grandchildren in soccer and swimming competitions. He was a past member of the Hartford Ski Club, Woodledge Swim Club and the Glastonbury Hills Country Club. 

George is survived by his children, George F. Titterton, III and his wife Suzanne of Hebron, Philip Titterton and his wife Dani of Tolland, Andrew Titterton and his wife Carolyn Overmyer of Parker, CO, Susan Wells and her husband Will of Langhorne, PA, Carol Titterton and her husband Peter Hamblin of Cape Elizabeth, ME, and his siblings, John Titterton, Paul Titterton, Eileen Carbery, Edith McMullin, Ann Keen, and Ada Marie Sullivan. George is also survived by his 11 grandchildren, Christopher, Brian, Sarah, Elizabeth, Tyler, Kat, Kevin, Wade, Rebecca, Nick, and Matt. He also will be especially missed by his devoted caregiver and friend, Ann Swanson. 

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Saturday, November 7 at 10:00 in St. Dunstan Church, 1345 Manchester Road, Glastonbury. Burial will follow in Holy Cross Cemetery, Glastonbury. Friends and family may call on Friday, November 6 from 4 to 7 pm, at the Mulryan Funeral Home, 725 Hebron Ave., Glastonbury. Memorial Donations may be made to the Catholic Charities, Archdiocese of Hartford, 839 Asylum Ave., Hartford, CT 06105. For online condolences, please visit

Published in The Hartford Courant on Nov.3,2015

September 19, 1930 – October 10, 2015

George Heyer passed away peacefully at his home in Austin on October 10th at the age of 85 with his family by his side.

George was the son of George Stuart Heyer and Jane Gregory Heyer of Houston, Texas. He had deep family connections in Austin that go back to 1869 and include Earnest Nalle, who constructed the Paramount Theatre, and his grandfather, Thomas Watt Gregory, for whom Gregory Gymnasium at the University of Texas at Austin is named. He spent most summers at his home in Nantucket, Massachusetts.

George attended Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire and went on to get his B.A. in Religion at Princeton University in 1952. He spent the following school year studying theology as a Woodrow Wilson scholar at the New School at the University of Edinburgh before returning to the United States and earning his Bachelors of Divinity at Yale Divinity School in 1956. After serving as an assistant minster of the First Presbyterian Church in San Angelo, Texas, George finished his education at Yale University, earning his PhD in Religious Studies in 1963.

After returning to Texas and settling in Austin, George began his teaching career at the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary in January 1964, teaching courses that focused on the history of Christian doctrine. He retired from teaching in 1993. George was very committed to his students and many remained lifelong friends. The George S. Heyer, Jr. Distinguished Lectureship was created to honor his career.

George had a deep and lifelong passion for fine art. He was a former chairman of both the Texas State Commission on the Arts and Humanities and the Advisory Council for the College of Fine Arts at the University of Texas at Austin. He also served for 40 years as a Trustee of the Museum of Fine Arts Houston. George’s select, thoughtful, and internationally respected collection of English silver, items generally made between 1660 and 1760 by London's finest silversmiths, [BR1]is the result of more than 25 years of his collecting efforts, and will be gifted to the Museum of Fine Arts Houston for the enjoyment of the public. One of his other great joys in life was fishing and hunting, particularly wing-shooting, a passion instilled in him by his father and passed on to his sons and grandchildren. George’s life was marked by the joy he found in humor and his deep and abiding love for and commitment to his many lifelong friends. He was also the cornerstone figure in his extended family, providing a source of stability and support, and his presence will be missed greatly. He will be remembered for his love of ice cream and chocolate, his signature chardonnay and ice, his love of travel, and his penchant for bestowing unique nicknames like "Doodle Bug”, "Wompus”, "Foofie” and "Superstar” on family members.

George was predeceased by his sister Jane Heyer Tallichet (1963), his wife Hallie Dewar Heyer (1990), his son Gregory Stuart Heyer (2001), and his stepson and ever-present companion Jamie Dewar Ferguson (2014). He is survived by his daughter Jennifer Parmalee Heyer and Brad Richardson, his son William McIver Heyer and his wife Connie, stepson Scott Ferguson and his wife Kelly, stepdaughter Hallie Ferguson, stepson Jody Ferguson and his wife Mila, his grandchildren Nicole and Will Heyer, and step grandchildren Rachel, Walt and Claire Ferguson, Alex, Paulina and Phillip Ferguson, Hallie Fei Smith and Max Chester.

"Had we but world enough and time” is the first line of George’s favorite poem. While we wish he had had more time in this world, his family and friends are very thankful for George’s long and rich life.

A graveside service for family and friends will be held at Glenwood Cemetery in Houston at 1:30PM on Tuesday October 20th. A memorial service will be held in Austin at All Saints Episcopal Church at 3:00PM on Wednesday October 28th followed by a reception at Tarry House.

In lieu of flowers contributions can be made to the Austin Symphony, the Museum of Fine Arts Houston, Saint Paul’s Church (Nantucket), the Nantucket Conservation Foundation, or the Nantucket Historical Association.

Russell Pierce, Jr.
April 13, 1924 - March 2, 2015 

Russell Pierce Jr., 90, of Murphy, TX, went peacefully home to God and to his loving wife of 61 years, Virginia May Pierce, on March 2, 2015. Born in Camden, NJ, on April 13, 1924, to Russell Pierce Sr. and Maydelle Switzer, he was preceded in death by his parents and his brother, Donald Ralph Pierce. He is survived by a younger brother, Erwin S. Pierce Sr., of Williamstown, NJ and a sister, Maydelle Kain, of Oak Park, CA.
He was a loving Christian father to four children- Katherine George Hartline (Anna, TX), Virginia Maydelle and her husband Robert Hayes (Haleiwa, HI), Beatrice Ann and her husband Johnnie Clack (Nacogdoches, TX) and Russell David Pierce and his wife Lisa (McKinney, TX); eight grandchildren- Rachel Dawn Christilles (LaCoste, TX), Jason Benjamin Hayes (Mililani, HI), Virginia Jean Hartford (Waipio, HI), James Russell Hayes (Portland, OR), Katherine Mayme Mattox (Waipio, HI), Billy Russell Clack (Mountain View, CA), Stephen Russell and Rebekah Ann Pierce (McKinney, TX); seven Great grandchildren- Lane Allen Christilles, Sarah and Sophia Hayes, Royal Hartford, Peter Romanov and Mark Hayes, and Ruby Jean Mattox (expected in April). 

Russellwas drafted into the United States Marines at the age of 19 in 1943 and earned the rank of Sergeant. He was honorably discharged in 1946. After graduating from Camden High school in 1942 and returning from military service, he attended Princeton and received his BS in Engineering in 1952. After graduating from Princeton, he became a geophysicist and self-taught computer programmer with Sun Oil-Company for 30 years.

Starting with the Boy Scouts of America at the age of 12, he later became a scout master in 1962 and mentored over 1,000 boys in Troop 4 in Beaumont, TX, and Troops 299 and 1000 in Plano, TX, until-the early 80's. He continued to be active at summer camps as an adult leader and merit badge counselor and served the scouts for 13 years as Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner for Bois d' Arc District, Circle Ten Council- of Plano, TX, and the Camp Constantine Staff handicraft director. His awards and accomplishments included the highest honor in scouting, the "Silver Beaver" award as well as the "Lamb" award many "mile swims", the "-Wood badge" training certificate, and the "Fifty Miler Canoe Trip" badge.

Russell-was always busy with his numerous crafts and hobbies: woodworking, building musical instruments, drawing, pastels, oil paintingleather work, gardening, dog training, and observing nature. He enjoyed playing his harmonicas, dulcimer, hammered dulcimer, Indian love flutes and the bones (all of which he made) with his family and friends. He was a member of the .Murphy Historical Society and The Cemetery Association of Murphy, Inc. For many years, Russell- supported the missionary efforts of the Household of God InternationaI.   Russell was a member of the first Christian Church of Piano and later attended East Fork Baptist Church in McKinney.  In Russell's hnor, donations may be made to the Household of God International, P. O. Box 27085, Dallas, Texas 75227-0585.

Funeral services were held at Sparkman Funeral Home in Richardson, TX on Tuesday, March 10,2015 with interment following at DFW National Cemetery, with full military honors.
Goodbye, for now, Pop-Pop. "We'll see you when we do..."

Patrick McEvoy Cromwell
September 24, 1930 - September 10, 2015 

Patrick Cromwell, Baltimore lawyer and Mercy Medical Center trustee, dies

Patrick McEvoy "Mac" Cromwell, a retired lawyer and former longtime Mercy Medical Center trustee and chairman who was also the first chairman of the Archdiocese of Baltimore's Independent Review Board, died Sept. 16 of congestive heart failure at the Blakehurst retirement community in Towson, where he had lived since 2010.  The former longtime Ruxton resident was 84.

"Mac was serious about his Catholic spirituality. It was unique, deep and true," said Sister Helen Amos, former president and chief executive at Mercy Medical Center, where she is executive chair of the board of trustees of Mercy Health Services. "He was just a very spiritual person."  "Mac was a pretty humble and self-effacing man, and I don't think he ever realized his impact on the Church," said Monsignor Richard W. Woy, rector of the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Mary Our Queen.  "I always thought that Mac was very warm and exceedingly loyal to his friends and concerned about their well-being. It was very genuine," said Richard O. Berndt, a partner in the Baltimore law firm of Gallagher, Evelius and Jones. "He was one of the most genuine individuals I've ever met and certainly one of the most talented."

The son of Michael Jenkins Cromwell Sr., chairman of the board of Loyola Federal Savings and Loan Association, and Maria McEvoy Comwell, a homemaker, Patrick McEvoy Cromwell was born in Baltimore and raised in Homeland and Riderwood.  Mr. Cromwell, who was known as "Mac" to family, friends and colleagues, attended Loyola High School for two years and graduated in 1948 from Gilman School. He was a 1952 graduate of Princeton University and served in the Army for two years until being discharged in 1954.  He earned a degree in 1957 from the University of Maryland School of Law and clerked for Chief Judge Frederick W. Brune of the state Court of Appeals. In 1958, Mr. Cromwell joined the Baltimore law firm Wright, Robertson and Dowell, which is now Wright, Constable & Skeen.  Mr. Cromwell's legal expertise was in estate planning, estate administration and trust administration. He was a partner in the firm until stepping down in 1996 and became of counsel a year later.  He retired in 2010.

"He was very warm, caring and never wore his religion on his sleeve. He did not proselytize. It just came through who he was," said Mary Alice Smolarek, law firm colleague, partner and friend of 23 years. "He was very dear to me."  "Mac had such an understanding of the U.S. Tax Code, in addition to his other duties. It really was amazing. It was both income tax and corporate tax. The whole ball of wax. He was able to bring all of the technical areas together," said Ms. Smolarek. "He could do it all."  She said that clients enjoyed working with Mr. Cromwell.  "Mac was just so charming and could really connect with clients on a personal level. His drafting was beautiful, and he could convey in documents his clients' heartfelt attitudes," said Ms. Smolarek.

In addition to his legal career, Mr. Cromwell served as a trustee of Mercy Medical Center from 1968 to 2011, and had chaired its board from 1984 to 1999.  "He had quite a record of service as a trustee and was uniquely competent. He was a tremendously wise counselor and his manner was unique because he was always paying attention," said Sister Helen.  "He never had the need to comment on everything, but by paying close attention, he was able to make incisive suggestions and decisions, and he saved us from many wrong steps. They were always true and to the point," she said.  "Our board room is named for Mac, and his portrait hangs in there," said Sister Helen.

Mr. Cromwell was the founding chairman in 1993 of the Independent Review Board of the Archdiocese of Baltimore that looks into all allegations of child sexual abuse or misconduct with minors by church personnel.  "The Independent Review Board was established by then-Archbishop [William H.] Keeler, and Mac was appointed its first chairman," said Monsignor Woy.  "He was a very bright man, astute and insightful, and was the best man for the task and served very well. Mac held our feet to the fire and made us be true to what we promised people, and he wasn't afraid to speak his mind," he said.  Mr. Berndt was also a member of the review board. "He was so insightful and devoted to making the archdiocese do the right thing. He had a strong and objective relationship with the Archdiocese of Baltimore, and whenever there were two views, Mac's view always prevailed," he said.  "He was one of those people as a decision maker who would say what other people were thinking but wouldn't say. He had a real strength about him," said Mr. Berndt.

Mr. Cromwell also served on the boards of St. Mary's Seminary & University and Gilman School. He also was a member of the investment committee of the Maryland Historical Society and a trustee of the Charles Crane Family Foundation, which was established by a Baltimore County real estate investor, from 1996 to 2013.

Mr. Cromwell favored tweed hats, conservative suits and ties, and it was not unusual for his eyeglasses to be firmly planted on top of his head. He also had a puckish sense of humor.  He opposed the Vietnam War and Iraq War, and he financially supported Democratic presidential candidate Sen. George S. McGovern in 1972. He was one of 17 Marylanders — including James W. Rouse and Leroy Hoffberger — who were named to President Richard M. Nixon's second White House enemies list in 1973.  "They are certainly correct in including me on the second list. But I haven't had enough opportunity to do as much damage as the Nixon administration deserves," Mr. Cromwell told The Baltimore Sun at the time. "I'm glad someone out there in the inner sanctum of the White House has correctly identified my sentiments."

In 2011, Mr. Cromwell was presented the Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice Medal by Pope Benedict XVI.  "When the Holy Father presented Mac the medal, I don't think he ever understood his impact on the Church, and I don't think he ever understood the good that he did," said Monsignor Woy.

He was an avid tennis player and a Silver Life Master at bridge, and he enjoyed reading William Shakespeare and novels by Anne Tyler.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Oct. 12 in the chapel of St. Mary's Seminary & University, 5400 Roland Ave.

Mr. Cromwell is survived by his wife of 53 years, the former Ruth Gibson Morris; two sons, Patrick McEvoy Cromwell Jr. of Roland Park and Gordon Pitt Cromwell of Boston; a daughter, Elizabeth Cromwell Speers of Wilmington, Del.; a brother, M. Jenkins Cromwell Jr. of Ashland; three sisters, Maria C. Williams of Timonium, Anne C. Bieretz of Towson and Kitty F. Cromwell of Asheville, N.C.; and four grandchildren.

Joseph Murphy
March 13, 1930 - August 10, 2015 

Joe Murphy was a man of many parts. He was an explorer who climbed mountains in every continent, a certified financial analyst, an author of a wide variety of books, and a photographer who roamed the world. He will be sorely missed by his wife Diana, his sons Michael (wife Johanna) and John (wife Suwannee) and granddaughters Laura and Frances, and his sister Sheila Nichols. 

Joe was born in Minneapolis on March 13, 1930 and died there on August 10, 2015. After attending Kenwood School he went on to St. Thomas Academy and Blake School. He received his undergraduate degree from Princeton University in 1952, a time when the United States was at war in Korea. He enlisted in the United States Army; was selected for officer candidate school, then served as a Lieutenant in the Second Cavalry in Japan. 

From Japan, Joe and a friend from Princeton (with whom he founded its Mountaineering Club) set out to make a first ascent of Istoronal in the Hindukush. That climb left him with frozen toes, later amputated in Minneapolis. On his recovery he enrolled in graduate school at the University of Minnesota where he was a teaching assistant in the Department of History and where he met his wife Diana. Joe worked as an analyst at Woodard-Elwood and thereafter for many years in the Trust Department of Northwestern National Bank (later Norwest) where he served as vice president and pioneer in the application of computers to financial analysis. In the area of communications and media Joe served as member and later chairman of the board of Midwest Communications (WCCO). 

Among Joe's many books are Stock Market Probability (Dow Jones 1994); The Random Character of Interest Rates (Probus 1990); With Interest (Dow Jones Irwin 1987); and Adventure Beyond the Clouds (Dillon Press 1986). In 1986 Joe received an award from The Friends of American Writers. Joe led three American mountaineering expeditions to Tibet; one to Gongga Shan in 1982, another to Shishapangma 1984, and a third to the North Face of Everest in 1986. He also skied to both the South and North Poles. Joe was a member of the American Alpine Club and served as vice president and member of the board of directors; he also belonged to the Himalayan Club. In the Twin Cities he was on the boards of Macalester College, the Children's Theater, Outward Bound, the Center for the Book Arts, and Greater Minneapolis Council of Girl Scouts. His life will be remembered at a 10:00 a.m. Mass at St. Olaf Catholic Church, 215 South 8th Street, Mpls. on Friday, August 14, with a reception to follow at the Minneapolis Club. In lieu of flowers you might consider a donation to your charity. Davies Chapel 612-377-2203  Published in Pioneer Press from Aug.12 to Aug.13,2015

Donald Oberdorfer, Jr.
May 28, 1931 - July 23, 2015

A Memorial Service was held for Don Oberdorfer, where friends and family shared remembrances of Don, at Ingleside at Rock Creek, 3050 Military Rd., N.W., Washington, DC at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, August 1, 2015 with a reception, also at Ingleside, following. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that those wishing to make contributions in Don's honor donate to the Class of 1952 Memorial Fund, Princeton University, Alumni and Donor Records, P.O. Box 5357, Princeton, NJ, 08543-5357; or Johns Hopkins University, sent care of the U.S.-Korea Institute, 1717 Massachusetts Avenue N.W., 6th Floor, Washington, DC 20036. - See more at:

Don prepared his own Memorial, as follows:    Don Oberdorfer was born in Atlanta in 1931. After public schools he graduated in 1952 from Princeton, where he was Chairman of the Daily Princetonian. He served as a lieutenant in the US Army from 1952 to 1954, including eight months in Korea. Starting in 1955 he worked on the Charlotte Observer and later the Saturday Evening Post and the Washington bureau of Knight Newspapers. In 1968 he joined the Washington Post, where he was White House correspondent, Northeast Asia correspondent and for 17 years, Diplomatic Correspondent. He was the author of four books including "Tet: The Story of a Battle and Its Historic Aftermath" (1971), a finalist for the National Book Award, and "Princeton University: The First 250 Years" (1995). In 1996 he received Princeton's Woodrow Wilson Award for exemplary service to the United States. After retiring from the Washington Post in 1993, he joined Johns Hopkins University's Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) in Washington D.C. as Distinguished Journalist in Residence. In 2005 he became founding Chairman of the U.S.-Korea Institute at SAIS. In April 2008 The Korea Society presented him with its Van Fleet Award for "outstanding contributions to the promotion of U.S.-Korea Relations."

Don's obituary from the Washington Post is below.

Foreign-policy ace set high bar for diplomatic reporting
Emily Langer July 24 at 12:08 AM

Don Oberdorfer, a former Washington Post diplomatic correspondent who chronicled international news from the Vietnam War to the fall of the Soviet Union, earning a reputation as one of the most insightful, fair-minded reporters on his globe-spanning beat, died July 23 in Washington. He was 84. He had Alzheimer’s disease, said his wife, Laura Oberdorfer.

Mr. Oberdorfer spent 25 years with The Post, beginning in 1968, when he was hired away from the Knight newspaper chain by Benjamin C. Bradlee. Bradlee, named executive editor that year, would later write in his memoir, "A Good Life,” that Mr. Oberdorfer was "a mortal lock to become what he became, a foreign affairs expert who could and did peg even with the very best foreign affairs experts.”

Mr. Oberdorfer’s years of reportage filled an uncounted number of broadsheet pages and half a dozen books that made him known particularly as an expert in Asian affairs. After retiring from The Post in 1993, Mr. Oberdorfer taught at Johns Hopkins University’s Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies and chaired its U.S.-Korea Institute. His 1997 book, "The Two Koreas: A Contemporary History,” was regarded as a seminal work on the Korean peninsula.

Mr. Oberdorfer earned a reputation as one of the most insightful, fair-minded reporters on his beat. (The Washington Post)

Mr. Oberdorfer began his career at The Post as a White House correspondent and was northeast Asia correspondent, based in Tokyo, in the early 1970s. He was best known, however, as The Post’s correspondent for U.S. diplomacy, an assignment that took him to more than 50 countries. "He was the kind of reporter who was so accurate and so fair that other reporters always read him, and so did the people in the government,” Leslie H. Gelb, president emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations, said in an interview. "I don’t think there was any better-read reporter . . . in the foreign policy business than Don Oberdorfer.”

During the Vietnam War, Mr. Oberdorfer, along with reporter Neil Sheehan, was "one of the standards,” said Gelb. In addition to his daily journalism, Mr. Oberdorfer wrote the book "Tet!,” a chronicle of the 1968 Communist offensive that was a military victory for the U.S. and South Vietnamese forces but nonetheless turned many Americans against the war. The volume — published in 1971, before the end of the war — was a finalist for a National Book Award and displayed Mr. Oberdorfer’s comfort with complexity. "By every standard and almost every account, the Tet Offensive was among the great events of the 1960s and possibly one of the great events of our times,” he wrote in The Post on the 10th anniversary of the offensive. "It is also among the most paradoxical and seemingly inexplicable,” he continued. "How . . . could Tet have been both a defeat for the attacker abroad and a defeat for the government at home?” He concluded his 1978 story, a probing account that ran five pages, with the observation that the Tet Offensive, "the first international Big Event, via television, remains one for historians to ponder.”

As diplomatic correspondent, Mr. Oberdorfer covered events that included the return of Japan as a global power, the Cold War, and the Cold War’s end. He had the foreign correspondent’s knack of plucking memorable details to convey a sense of place — the deluxe meal in Seoul, where he "grimly chewed and hurriedly swallowed a wriggling piece of live squid wrapped in a lettuce leaf” or "the identical bamboo fans fingered in identical fashion by the new prime minister and foreign minister of Japan in their separate offices in Tokyo.” With those touches, he blended expert analysis into his interviews with policymakers. He sat through the daily State Department media briefings that were "almost always boring,” said Gelb, then would "corral the briefer afterwards and pick up information.”

Mr. Oberdorfer covered secretaries of state under five U.S. presidents. Henry Kissinger, who served under Richard M. Nixon and Gerald R. Ford, "preferred close rapport with key members of the State Department press corps,” he once recalled. "But after I wrote a front-page story sharply questioning his handling of his personal papers, being too close was no longer a problem.”

Describing George P. Shultz, who served under President Ronald Reagan and who later became a friend, Mr. Oberdorfer recalled that many reporters "called him ‘the Sphinx’ because of our inability to discern what he was thinking beyond established policy lines.”

In daily newspapering, Mr. Oberdorfer wrote in The Post, reporters "are able to examine only the tip of the iceberg of important events they cover” and "must rely heavily on instinct and intuition.” "Their job, given the limitations of time and inhibitions of sources in the heat of battle,” he observed, "is to go as far below the water line as possible, but they understand in most cases that the penetration is shallow.”

He returned to many of his sources, on both sides of the Atlantic, for his book "The Turn: From the Cold War to a New Era; the United States and the Soviet Union, 1983-1990” (1991). Yale University historian John Lewis Gaddis wrote in The Post that it was "the best account yet of how this astonishing transformation in Soviet-American relations came about.” Gaddis wrote that Mr. Oberdorfer possessed a forthright understanding, sometimes lacking among journalists, that "events are not always what they seemed at the time.”

Donald Oberdorfer Jr. was born in Atlanta on May 28, 1931. He was a 1952 graduate of Princeton University, where he studied political science and led the campus newspaper. He served with the Army in Korea shortly after the armistice ending the Korean War and used his mustering-out pay to take a trip around the world, including to Pakistan, where he contracted polio.

[Don in Korea, from collection of George Towner >>]

He began his journalism career at the Charlotte Observer and became the paper’s Washington correspondent. He was a Washington editor of the Saturday Evening Post magazine before joining the Knight Newspapers chain, where he began his coverage of the Vietnam War.

In an oral history for Bates College in Maine, Mr. Oberdorfer explained why Bradlee hired him. "He wanted somebody who was not biased. And there were several reporters on The Washington Post, national political reporters, who couldn’t stand Richard Nixon,” he said. "Bradlee did not like the idea of assigning a correspondent to lead the coverage of a presidential campaign, or anybody else, who right off the bat couldn’t stand the candidate.”

Bradlee inquired how he felt about various politicians, including Nixon, and to each name Mr. Oberdorfer responded, "Fine.” "That’s what he wanted to hear,” said Mr. Oberdorfer.

Nixon, who had hostile relations with The Post even before the Watergate scandal that ended his presidency, wrote in a 1970 memo that "no one on the White House staff is to see anybody from the Washington Post or return any calls to them.” But in the memo, printed in former publisher Katharine Graham’s memoir, "Personal History,” Nixon had to acknowledge "the argument that . . . Oberdorfer one time out of ten gives us a good story.”

Mr. Oberdorfer participated in The Post’s handling in 1971 of the Pentagon Papers, a secret government history of the Vietnam War previously obtained and partially published by the New York Times. He was at Bradlee’s home when The Post’s top brass made the decision to print the materials after the Times had been enjoined from continuing its publication.

Mr. Oberdorfer’s other books included a history of his alma mater, "Princeton University: The First 250 Years” (1995) and "Senator Mansfield” (2003), a biography of Mike Mansfield (D-Mont.), the onetime Senate majority leader and diplomat.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, the former Laura Klein of Washington; two children, Daniel Oberdorfer of Plymouth, Minn., and Karen Oberdorfer of Oakland, Calif.; and a brother.

In an article published in The Post’s Outlook section at the time of his retirement, Mr. Oberdorfer reflected on the evolution of the U.S. media from an era when many reporters were "trusting and uncritical of the ways of government” to a time when reporters assumed that "nearly every official statement is a lie or half-truth until proven otherwise,” and on the dangerously fast news cycle.

One of his most prominent memories of covering foreign affairs, he said, was the image of Iowa corn farmer Roswell Garst tossing "stinking fodder” at reporters hovering over — in his opinion interfering with — Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev during his 1959 visit to the United States.

"Khrushchev was amused and more tolerant,” Mr. Oberdorfer wrote. "He knew, as the farmer did not, that journalists’ words and pictures were powerful tools of diplomacy. As in the case of Roswell Garst, many others have learned that venting ire against the press will not make it go away. For better or worse, we are part of history, and the events that make it.”

Don Oberdorfer, 84, Top Diplomatic Reporter for Washington Post, Dies
New York Times, July 29, 20115

Don Oberdorfer, a highly respected diplomatic correspondent for The Washington Post and the author of well-received books about Korea, Vietnam and the Cold War, died on Thursday in Washington. He was 84.

The cause was complications of Alzheimer’s disease, his wife, Laura, said.

Mr. Oberdorfer’s nearly four-decade career in journalism reached from the war in Vietnam to the collapse of the Soviet Union, took him to 50 countries and endowed him with an assurance and expertise that was admired by his colleagues and by the foreign policy experts he covered.

In an interview on Monday, Leslie H. Gelb, president emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations and a former correspondent and columnist for The New York Times, called Mr. Oberdorfer "a reporter’s reporter.”

"Always there, calm, knowledgeable, unbiased, armed with the right questions, knew everybody, clear and fair,” he added. "He made neither enemies nor friends of officials.”

Mr. Oberdorfer reported for The Charlotte Observer, The Saturday Evening Post and Knight Newspapers before joining The Post in 1968, hired by Benjamin C. Bradlee, who said in his 1995 memoir "A Good Life” that Mr. Oberdorfer "could and did peg even with the very best foreign affairs experts.”

As The Post’s "ace foreign policy writer,” in Mr. Bradlee’s words, Mr. Oberdorfer huddled at Mr. Bradlee’s home with other reporters involved in the paper’s coverage of the Pentagon Papers, the secret Vietnam War history, in 1971.

He also witnessed a startling moment in Cold War diplomacy during the summit meeting between President Ronald Reagan and the Soviet leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev in Reykjavik, Iceland, in 1986.

"At the end of the summit Reagan even said — and I have the quotes authenticated for the first time — ‘Why don’t we just get rid of all nuclear weapons? Just get rid of them all,’” Mr. Oberdorfer recalled on the C-Span program "Booknotes” in 1991 while discussing his book "The Turn: From the Cold War to a New Era; the United States and the Soviet Union, 1983-1990.” "And Gorbachev said, ‘Yes, let’s do that. Let’s just get rid of them.’”

While the meeting was initially deemed a failure, he said, "it opened the way, in a way, toward a degree of trust and a degree of willingness to bargain that was not the case before that meeting.”

Donald Oberdorfer Jr. was born in Atlanta on May 28, 1931. His father was an insurance agent. His mother was the former Dorothy Bayersdorfer.

He graduated from Princeton University in 1952 and served in the Army in Korea after the war.

His other books included "The Two Koreas: A Contemporary History,” and "Tet!,” which was a finalist for the National Book Award in 1972.

After he retired as a reporter in 1993, Mr. Oberdorfer taught at Johns Hopkins University’s Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies. He was named chairman of its U.S.-Korea Institute in 2006 and chairman emeritus in 2013. Besides his wife, the former Laura Klein, survivors include two children, Daniel and Karen Oberdorfer; and a brother, Eugene.

Albert S. Redway

September 26, 1929 - June 24, 2015

Albert S. Redway Jr. passed away June 24, 2015, surrounded by his family. He was born Sept. 26, 1929, in New Haven, the son of the late Dorothy Bryant and Albert Redway. His father was a noted industrialist in the state who served as president of the National Manufacturing Association of Connecticut.

Raised in New Haven and Hamden, he served as a volunteer in the mailroom and pharmacy of Yale New Haven Hospital during World War II. He attended secondary school at Westminster School in Simsbury and was elected head prefect (class president) for his senior year. He entered Princeton University and served as assistant business manager of the Daily Princetonian, the university’s daily paper. Graduating in 1952 with a bachelor’s degree in history and a commission as a 2nd lieutenant, artillery in the U.S. Army, Al was ordered into active duty. He attended the Artillery School at Fort Sill, Okla. and served with the 37th Infantry Division in Louisiana and the 45th Infantry Division in Korea.

After being deactivated from the service, he entered the training program at the Scovill Manufacturing Company in Waterbury. During his 16 years with the company he served in various manufacturing positions in the general products division and became production control manager of the relay division, which produced miniature relay switches used in military aircraft and missiles. In 1972, he received his master’sdegree from the University of Connecticut and switched careers to banking with the Colonial Bank and Trust Company. He served 25 years in the trust division, later known as "private banking” when Bank of Boston acquired the bank. As a vice president he was at one time manager of trust administration and ended his career as the senior fiduciary officer.

Al served as a deacon and superintendent of the Sunday school of the Middlebury Congregational Church, president of the Tribury Rotary Club, chairman of the Woodbury Planning Commission, member of the Woodbury retirement and pension board, a director of Pomperaug Woods, and a coordinator for FISH, the volunteer organization providing transportation to medical appointments for Woodbury residents unable to drive.

He maintained an abiding interest in American history, especially the American Revolutionary War where one of his direct ancestors, Preserved Redway, served in the Continental Army. He was a member of the Society of Colonial Wars as a result of John Redway fighting and suffering from wounds in King Phillips War in 1676.

Al was a life-long fly fisherman and a member of the Walton Fishing Club in Cornwall Bridge, serving as treasurer for 20 years. In his later years he hiked the Appalachian Trail in Connecticut and Massachusetts and climbed in the presidential range of the White Mountains. Al and his wife, Nonnie, frequently traveled west for horseback riding in Colorado, Montana and Wyoming. They participated in the Russell Ride following the trail of the noted artist Charles Russell through the Little Belt Mountains of Montana.

He developed a life-long interest in the Grand Canyon, visiting it four times. During his college years he hiked with his college roommate 30 miles roundtrip from the North Rim to the Colorado River in 120-degree heat. He returned with Nonnie in 1996 at age 67 descending from the South Rim to Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon on the famous Grand Canyon mules.

Mr. Redway is survived by his wife, Eleanore (Nonnie) D. Redway; his sister, Nancy Redway Pugsley of Branford, Conn.; his two sons, Albert (Tad ) S. Redway III of Hollis, Maine and James D. Redway of Middlebury, Conn.;, daughter-in-law Elizabeth Bean Redway of Middlebury; grandsons, James Christopher Redway and Jason A.G. Redway, and granddaughter, Holly A. Hazzard of Boston, Mass.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent to Middlebury Congregational Church, 1242 Middlebury Road, Middlebury,Conn.

A memorial service will be held Saturday, July 11, at 11 a.m. at the Middlebury Congregational Church.

Ira Henry Helman

July 28, 1930 - February 11, 2015
Ira H. Helman of Oviedo, passed away on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2015, at Florida Hospital – Orlando. He was 84 years old. Mr. Helman, a native of New York, was born on July 28, 1930 to the late Jack and Shirley Noah Helman. After earning his Bachelor of Arts degree, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy, serving at the U.S. Naval Hospital in St. Albans, N.Y. Following his discharge from active duty, he returned to school and earned his Juris Doctor degree.

In addition to having an active law practice, Mr. Helman was a well-known owner of trotters. His horses were familiar fixtures at many of the race tracks featuring trotters. He was also the owner of the Aloevin Corp., a company located in DeLand, Fla., dedicated to providing customers with innovations in aloe-based products.

On June 25, 1972, in New York, Ira married the former Nitzyah Nancy Moldanado, his wife of nearly 43 years who survives him. He is also survived by his sons, James (Sharlene) Helman of North Carolina, Nathan Helman of Winter Park and Samuel Helman of Oviedo; his daughter, Nancy Lee Helman of Boca Raton; and six grandchildren.

A funeral service with military honors was held at Beth Israel Cemetery with Rabbi Arnold Siegel officiating. Funeral arrangements entrusted to Beth Shalom Memorial Chapel, 640 Lee Road, Orlando 32810.

Duncan Calder Stephens, III
August 1, 1929 - May 30, 2015

WOODBURY — Duncan Calder Stephens, 85, died unexpectedly but peacefully Saturday, May 30, 2015, at home with his family by his side. He was the husband of Eileen Denver.

Duncan was born August 1, 1929, in Detroit, Mich., son of Dr. Duncan Calder Stephens and Lela Marie (Simpson) Stephens. He went to high school in Howell, Mich., and Seattle, Wash., and to prep school at Wooster in Danbury.

He attended Princeton University and Colorado College and obtained his bachelor’s degree in English literature from Harvard University. He went to OCS and became a lieutenant jg in the Navy, serving in the Far East at the end of the Korean War.

He married Charlotte Doscher in 1952; they had five children. The first part of his career was in sales and management training with McGraw Hill in Pittsburgh and New York City.

In 1968, the family moved to Vermont, where he started a newspaper, the Lamoille County Weekly, of which he was editor and publisher for 12 years.

Following a divorce in 1982, Duncan moved to Southbury, then to Naugatuck. He started Staff Associates, working for area firms as a communications and public relations consultant.

He kept that work going into the late ‘80s recession, but also got busy writing about all that he and his new wife, Eileen, had learned in remodeling their small Woodbury house. His two published books, "Home Remodeling Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them” and "The Unofficial Guide to Hiring Contractors” are informative, yet written with finesse and wry humor.

Tall and bearded, with an engaging smile, Duncan made many friends in his Woodbury years, becoming deeply involved with the Valley Chordsmen branch of the Barbershop Harmony Society, where he sang bass; with the Naugatuck Rotary, for which he once served as president; and with the Woodbury Business Association, as president and then secretary.

He was a founding board member of The Denan Project, which provides free medical care to desperately poor towns in Africa, South America and Mongolia. He had been a member of the Advisory Board of Woodbury’s Pomperaug River Watershed Coalition.

He helped Woodbury’s Glebe House Museum and other nonprofits raise funds by bringing his charm and his omelet-making expertise to brunch parties he gave in the homes of donors.

Intelligent and witty, Duncan was a great story-teller. He was also a thoughtful listener, a treasured sounding board for family and friends. He was generous with his time and with his pickup truck.

He and his wife hosted many Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations, brunches, dinners and summertime late-afternoon gatherings on the deck. He loved family reunions, barbershop singing, golfing with friends, sitting around talking and helping people.

Besides his wife of 27 years, he leaves four children, Cameron Page and her children with her late husband Russ, Michael and Laura, of Stowe, Vt.; Duncan, his wife Carolyn, and their children Lily and Fiona of Chicago, Ill.; Boder, his wife Marketa and son Dakota, of Waterville, Vt.; and Andrew, his wife Jackie, and children Emma and Molly of Cohasset, Mass.; 10 nieces and nephews, and his sister-in-law, Bonnie Stephens of Woodbury.

He was predeceased by his daughter, Brandy, and his brother, Tom.

A small celebration of Duncan’s life for family and friends will take place Saturday afternoon, June 20, in Woodbury. For details, email or call 203-266-4009.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Pomperaug River Watershed Coalition (, the Glebe House Museum ( or The Denan Project (

To send an online condolence, go to

Martin Carey Battestin
March 25, 1930 - May 15, 2015

Martin Carey Battestin, William R. Kenan, Jr., Professor of English Emeritus at the University of Virginia, died Friday, May 15, 2015, at age 85.Martin Battestin was born on March 25, 1930, in New York City, the son of Martin Augustus and Marion (Kirkland) Battestin. He attended the Peddie School and received both his BA (summa cum laude, 1952) and PhD (1958) from Princeton University, where as a member of the baseball team he expressed a love of sports that eventually would be manifested in his passionate backing of UVa teams.

His first academic appointment was at Wesleyan University. In 1961 he moved to the University of Virginia, where he taught in the English Department until his retirement as William R. Kenan, Jr., Professor Emeritus in 1998. He was chair of the department from 1983 through 1986 and made vital hirings during that period. His years at UVa were punctuated by a faculty appointment at Rice University and by terms as visiting scholar at Princeton, Clare Hall, Cambridge, and Lincoln College, Oxford. His literary interests were broad and included twentieth-century writings by T. S. Eliot and Tennessee Williams (a relative through the Sevier family of Tennessee) as well as any works that included cats.

But his heart lay in the eighteenth century, whose elegant manners he inculcated, and his dissertation on Henry Fielding's novel Joseph Andrews set the direction of his scholarly career. His preeminent role as a Fielding scholar first of all involved the preparation of reliable editions. He was a founder of the now-standard Wesleyan Edition of Fielding's works and edited four volumes in the series: Joseph Andrews (1967), Tom Jones (1974), Amelia (1983), and Journal of a Voyage to Lisbon, Shamela, and Occasional Writings (2008). He also co-edited The Correspondence of Henry and Sarah Fielding (1993) and in later years edited the translation of Cervantes' Don Quixote (2003) by another eighteenth-century novelist, Tobias Smollett. He analyzed these writings in landmark volumes of criticism on eighteenth-century literature, The Moral Basis of Fielding's Art (1959) and The Providence of Wit (1974), and he prepared an important reference tool, A Henry Fielding Companion (2000). His understanding of literature and life came together in the biography he wrote with the help of indefatigable research by his wife Ruthe, Henry Fielding: A Life (1989). He naturally was pleased by the assessment of the English writer Antony Burgess that "This massive biography must stand, for many years to come or perhaps permanently, as the definitive Life of the man who is, conceivably, England's greatest novelist." In 1997 colleagues and former students honored him with a collection of essays, and in 2012 the Bibliographical Society of the University of Virginia established Battestin Fellowships, in recognition of the Battestins' contribution to the scholarly life of UVa, to support bibliographical and textual research by UVa graduate students in UVa libraries.

He is survived by his partner in mutual devotion for 52 years, his wife and collaborator Ruthe. His son from his previous marriage, David, died in 1999, and his daughter from the same marriage, Catherine, passed away in 2014. Martin was a member of the Church of England and, in the United States, a communicant of the Episcopal Church. In his final years he was under the wonderful care of Tom May and the compassionate staff of Gordon House in Gordonsville, Virginia. His funeral service took place at 3 p.m. Wednesday, May 20, 2015, at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Ivy, with the Reverend H. Miller Hunter officiating. Interment in the graveyard of the church will be private. In lieu of flowers, gifts in Martin's honor may be made to the Battestin Fund, Special Collections, University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, VA 22906, or to St. Paul's Ivy, P.O. Box 37, Ivy, VA 22945.Condolences may be sent to the family at

William V. Healey, Jr. February 11, 1931 - April 30, 2015

Dr. William Vincent Healey, Jr , age 84, passed away in Fort Worth, Texas on Thursday, April 30, 2015. A family service was held at Holy Family Catholic Church in Fort Worth, Texas on Monday, May 4th with the Rev. Jeffery Poirot officiating. A memorial service in San Antonio, Texas is being planned for June.

Dr. Healey was born on February 11, 1931 in New York, New York to Dr. William V. Healey and Mabel Keating Healey. He graduated from The Loyola School in New York City in 1948. He earned a B.A. from Princeton University in 1952 and M.D. from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1956. After an internship in surgery, Dr. Healey served from 1957 through 1960 in the U.S. Navy Medical Corps, N.A.S. Kenitra, Morocco. He subsequently returned to Columbia P&S and completed his residency in surgery, becoming an instructor and later Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery at Columbia.

Dr. Healey was married to Joan Edmondson from 1957 to 1976, and they had three children: William III. David, and Hilary. The family resided in Greenwich, Connecticut, following his service in the Navy, and Dr. Healey served as an attending surgeon at Greenwich Hospital, and at the Roosevelt Hospital in New York City.

In 1976, Dr. Healey became Director of Surgery at Coryell Memorial Hospital in Gatesville, Texas. He was married to Celia Powell in 1977, and they had two sons, Peter and Michael. Dr. Healey subsequently became Professor of Surgery at the University of Texas Medical School in San Antonio, Texas, where he worked extensively on the development of a total permanent artificial heart, earning a patent on an actuating mechanism for an implantable artificial cardiac prosthesis.

Dr. Healey authored numerous scholarly and scientific articles throughout his career, He was additionally CEO of The Reciprocal Health Care Management Corporation, and served as a consultant to J. Walter Thompson Co., Group Health Inc., and Jackson Communications, among others. Bill pursued many passions 

including breeding Labrador retrievers and training quarter horses at his ranch in Boerne, TX.

Bill was a force of nature, a brilliant, driven genius of a man who will be missed. He will be remembered for his 

humor, intelligence, and passion. He was loved very much by many and our lives were deeply affected by him.

Bill is preceded in death by his parents and his son David Huber Healey '81, He is survived by his wife, Celia Powell Healey, sister Jane Engel of Princeton New Jersey, and children: William Vincent Healey, Ill M.D '80. and wife Linda Peters of Seattle, WA; Hilary Healey Watson '87 and husband Joseph D. Watson '87 of Greenwich CT; Peter Ross Healey and wife Ashley Healey of Fort Worth, TX; and Michael Paul Healey of College Station, TX. Bill is also survived by grandchildren Caroline Healey, Ben Healey, Josie Watson, Jane Watson, Preston Healey, and Mary Paige Healey.

Donations in his honor may be made to the American Heart Association/ American Stroke Association, PO Box 841125, Dallas, TX 75284-1125 or at www.heart.orq.

Charles H. Hemminger
June 9, 1930 - April 15, 2015

Charles "Chuck" Hay Hemminger of Northampton, MA died Wednesday, April 15, 2015, at home.

He was born June 9, 1930, in Elizabeth, New Jersey. He was the son of the late Florence and Charles Hemminger. He grew up in Westfield, New Jersey, graduated from Westfield High School in 1948 and from Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey, in 1952. He played varsity football at Princeton for the 1950 and 1951 teams. He was the last surviving player of the starting championship team of 1951.

Following college graduation, he attended Jefferson Medical School in Philadelphia, graduating in 1956. Dr. Hemminger practiced urology at Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton for 34 years before retiring in 1995. His hobbies included travel, woodworking, ham radio and bicycling.

Dr. Hemminger is survived by his wife of 59 years, Janet Mix Hemminger; his son Stephen Charles Hemminger and his wife Debra of Beaverton, Oregon; his daughter Helen Hemminger of Portland, Maine; and two grandchildren, Valerie of Beaverton, Oregon, and Daniel of Portland, Maine. He was predeceased by his sister Julia Hemminger Fulmer.

A celebration of his life was held at Edwards Church, where he was a member for 52 years. The service was Friday, April 24, at 3 p.m, and included an organ solo of the Princeton Alma Mater "Old Nasau".  The service was. followed by a reception at the church.

Memorial gifts may be made to Princeton University, Attn: Alexis Brock, 330 Alexander St., Princeton, NJ 08540.

Edward D. Gregory, Jr. 
April 28, 1930 - April 11, 2015

Ed Gregory, who died April 11, 2015 at the age of 84, thought that many obituaries are rather routine recitations of events and accomplishments, and so he decided to write his own with a more personalized slant. To wit:

Ed Gregory did the best he could -which wasn’t too bad.

Ed was born April 28, 1930 in the small rural town of Bedford, Virginia, the oldest of three boys. Unathletic and insecure, he was your typical nerd as a boy. But he had a couple things going for him. He was a good student, and he had parents who were able to have his teeth straightened and to send him away to a good school.

He graduated from Princeton University and received an MBA from Harvard Business School…Shortly after, he got married and served as an officer in the US Coast Guard where he thought he was the least likely to get shot at. The Coast Guard experience turned out well, as he spent his entire tour on the beaches of Florida and Puerto Rico. The marriage didn’t last, but he did have two daughters, Karen Hogan and Lee Gregory, of whom he was justly proud.

Ed’s next enlistment was with the DuPont Company in Wilmington, DE where he served faithfully, if not always happily, for 35 years, and where he retired with the title of Assistant Treasurer.

Along the way, he got the break of his life when he married Kathie Gray (nee Rayne) of Kennett Square, PA. Kathie brought to the marriage her warm personality and three handsome children, Peter Gray, Lisa McManus, and David Gray and, eventually, four wonderful grandchildren, Becca Gray, Gray McManus, Natalie and Caroline Gray. Ed once said that when he was with Kathie he felt like the lucky kid in school who was taking the most popular girl in class to the prom.

On retirement from DuPont, Ed and Kathie set out on the important task of making the most of the rest of their lives. They played tennis and golf, traveled extensively, and spent many happy hours with family and their many friends.

Ed died after a long battle with leukemia/ lymphoma, which he, of course, lost

A Memorial Meeting will be at 11AM on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at KENNETT FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, 125 West Sickle Street, Kennett Square.

In lieu of flowers, Ed wants everyone to grab someone loved, and to go out and buy themselves a dinner to celebrate his life. (Ed loved to eat, especially deserts!)

If people insist on making a contribution, they can send a check to Neighborhood Hospice, 400 East Marshall Street, West Chester, PA 19382.

Charles Schaefer 
February 16, 1931 - March 23, 2015

Charles Schaefer grew up in Jenkintown town in a house built by his father, a commercial builder who started his own company in 1921. His schooling included: William Penn Charter School, 1948; Princeton University 1952, Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Phi Beta Kappa; Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1953, Master of Science: Build­ing, Engineering and Construction.

He served in the US Navy during the Korean War as an engineer at US installations in North Carolina and New York. Following this, he joined his father's construction company. He became owner and CEO of Schaefer and Company since taking over the firm from his father in 1958 until 2001.

His company specialized in commercial renovations and historical restorations. He especially enjoyed the most challenging and unique construction projects, including historically accurate restoration work on the tower of Independence Hall. His company performed services for many of the most prominent companies and institutions in the Philadelphia area, including: University of Pennsylvania, Villanova University, Abington Memorial Hospital, AT & T, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Merck, PNC Bank, Merrill Lynch, Princeton University, and Haverford College. His other professional accomplishments include:

Licensed Professional Engineer: New York, Pennsylvania President - General Building Contractors Association of Phila­delphia

President, Vice President, Secretary, Senior Warden, Chair­man of the Managing Committee - The Carpenters Company of Philadelphia

Arbitrator - American Arbitration Association

Associated General Contractors of America, Executive Com­mittee

Life Member - American Society of Civil Engineers

Director - Cathedral Village

Member - Union League of Philadelphia for over 50 years Chairman of the Board, Cloister Inn, Princeton University Princeton Class of '52 Alumni Executive Committee

In 1960 he married Nina Guerrini, to whom he was married for 54 years until his death. They lived in Huntingdon Valley for almost 45 years until they moved to the Hill at Whitemarsh in Lafayette Hill in 2007. They have two sons (Paul & George) and one granddaughter (Anna).

After getting their first dog, a Shetland Sheep Dog, in the `60's, he and his wife developed a life-long interest in dogs. They raised and / or showed dozens of dogs (Siberian Huskies, Standard Poodle, Great Danes, Doberman Pincher, Miniature Pincher, Bernese Mountain Dog, Shiba Inu, Briard). It was common for them to have eight or more dogs at one time. Many became AKC Champions. He also participated in Siberian Husky rescue, caring for as many as 100 dogs in his small ken­nel in Huntingdon Valley.

He became a Judge for the American Kennel Club, specializing in Great Danes and Siberian Huskies. He became president of the prestig­ious Kennel Club of Philadelphia and Show Chairman of the National Dog Show broadcast by NBC every year.

He was baptized at St. John's Lutheran Church in Elkins Park. He was active in his church, serving on the vestry at St. John's Episcopal Church in Huntingdon Valley and was most recently a member of St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church in Abington.

He took many trips over the years with his family. When his chil­dren were young, they traveled to London, Italy, and Switzerland and also took sailing trips in the Caribbean. He traveled to other locations in the Caribbean with his wife including Petit St. Vincent, St. John, An­guilla, and Antigua. Later in life, he and his wife enjoyed cultural cruises on smaller cruise ships and traveled in the Baltic Sea to St. Pe­tersburg, in the Adriatic to Dubrovnik, and in the Aegean to Ephesus and Istanbul.

They later traveled up the coast of Norway and to Alaska where he took a helicopter ride up to a glacier. Notably, they took the first trans­atlantic trip by the QE2 that went up the Delaware River to Philadelph­ia for the bicentennial celebration. As an engineer, he enjoyed his last cruise which crossed the Panama Canal. For their 50th anniversary, the whole family traveled to Bermuda to celebrate. They also enjoyed a vacation home on Hilton Head Island for 15 years.

While battling a major illness for five years, he never complained. He enjoyed the company of family and friends until his passing and he will be greatly missed.

From the Memorial Service bulletin April 18, 2015.  [Postlude for the service was "Going Back to Old Nassau Hall".]

Paul David Piret 
December 28, 1930- April 9, 2015

Paul succumbed to cancer after a long battle, but died peacefully in his sleep.

Paul came to us from Westfield High school here in New Jersey. He roomed four years with Walter Bass. Other roommates and still close friends were Skip Nalen, Jack Ball and Bob Lovell. He was Business Manager of radio station WPRU and instrumental in founding the IVY Network for Sports. He was also Manager of the Student Refreshment Agency (Milk, Sandwiches, and Ice Cream!) and dined at Campus Club. He attended Harvard Business School upon graduation. Paul took leave after one year and attended the Naval OCS, received his commission and acquired the rank of Lieutenant. During his four years in the Navy, he served in the Far East and in the Mediterranean, and he then returned to Harvard for his final year.

He was retained by both Benton & Bowles Advertising and the McCorn Elves group, Proctor & Gamble, and Post Cereal, Repub Club, and later as Senior Vice President in charge of Coca Cola products. While there he married the former Gloria Gardner of Beverley Hills.

In the '80's Paul was recruited by the Marriott's to become the first Director of Convention Marketing and Service at their first hotel built, in New Orleans, specifically for large conventions. In 1986 he was named Marriott Director of the Year and was promoted to run operations at the New York Marriott Marquis in Times Square. He also helped to train others in the convention field as Marriott continued its expansion in this field.

Retiring in the early '90s and divorced, Paul moved to Panama City, Florida, and worked with the local Navy base to bring Marriott service and amenities to the three hotels and Inns on base. He lived on the beach and was active in his church, BASIC (the local Aids Support Agency), and worked part time for CareerSource Gulf Coast on the Gulf Coast State College Campus. He remained actively involved with the Alumni Schools Committee throughout his retirement.

He is survived by his sister Arlene Spicer Dunphey and her husband and over a dozen close nephews, nieces and cousins.

Klaus Rifbjerg, 
one of Denmark's most prolific and influential writers in modern times, died on April 4th at the age of 83 after battling a long-time illness. Rifbjerg was one of Denmark's major modern authors, a cultural bastion and a sharp cultural critic. He was an extremely prolific author, having written books for more than 50 years and having published two to three works every year, according to Danmarks Radio (DR).

Rifbjerg made his debut with a poetry collection in 1956, and later wrote novels and short stories, children's books, plays as well as film manuscripts. The Copenhagen-born writer is known for his particular language and style. In Denmark he is best known for his book 'Chronic Innocence' (Den kroniske uskyld) from 1958, which today is required reading in Danish high schools and has achieved what could be considered a cult status. In 1985, the book was made into a film. Even last year, Rifbjerg kept to his habit of publishing two to three productions annually: he penned one essay collection, one poetry collection and one novel published in 2014.

Rifbjerg always wanted to die with a pen in hand, according to DR, and so he did, indeed. His latest book 'Besat', or Obsessed, is set to be released on Thursday [April 9, 2015] in Danish.

En par with H.C. Andersen "In the Golden Age, we had the great two, H.C. Andersen and Soren Kierkegaard," wrote fellow Danish author, Suzanne Brogger, about Rifbjerg.

"In the 20th century's modernism, we had two who were able to match them. Villy Sorensen and Klaus Rifbjerg. One of them was able to think, the other to sense, as one said," Brogger wrote in Politiken. Brogger called Rifberjg "the author of hyper sense-perception." The Swedish author P.O. Enquist called Rifbjerg "a shining literary lighthouse" and "a monument of cultural-radicalism," according to Politiken.

In terms of literary awards, Rifbjerg was granted the Nordic Council's Literature Prize in 1970, the Danish award De Gylne Laurbzer in 1967 and the Herman Bangs Mindelegat in 1997. In 2006, he joined 11 other Danish authors in becoming part of the "Danish cultural canon" based on his collection of short stories called 'and other stories.'  

A controversial voice But Rifbjerg did not only write books; he was also an active voice in Danish cultural debates. And he did not shy away from provocation. In 1970, he and other activists smoked pot at the stairs of the Ministry of Culture at the parliament of Christiansborg. Rifbjerg has been an editor of the literary, cultural magazine Vindrosen as well as a literary director at the 

publishing house Gyldendal from 1984 to 1991. He has also been a critic at Danish newspapers Information and Politiken. He was also among the founders of the restaurant Kong Hans KwIder in 1976.

Rifbjerg is survived by three grown-up children.

Here's a quote from the Danish newspaper Information (translated from Danish via Google Translate) about Klaus Rifbjerg's year at Princeton at the age of 20 ( 

In 1951, Klaus Rifbjerg returned home from a year at Princeton in the United States, where he had felt and experienced the feeling of freedom. Princeton is a modern university where students were treated with an equality which did not exist at Our Lady Square in Copenhagen (the location of the main building of the University of Copenhagen), where the professors were strict, aloof and exalted beings. Getting back to Denmark from the United States felt like "coming home to the Middle Ages after having tasted modernity," he recalls. What was worse was that his empty pockets forced him to move into his old childhood room with his parents. It was as if time went backwards. "I wanted to get away, but I could not, and that same feeling I have written about many years after: The feeling of wanting to free yourself from something without being able to do so ‑ and without quite knowing what you're freeing yourself from."

Daniel Morrell Duffield, Jr.

Remembering Dan Duffield

I would like to talk with you about a man of high standards. You could count on Dan He was a major contributor to the life of the Class of 1952. When was leaving my post as Class President, and Dan had served his first term as Class Secretary, he had a typical straight-forward observation.

He told me, "It was a great ride! I may not have agreed with everything you did, but I'm glad I was here for the ride."

One of the first things that comes to mind when I think of Dan and Liz is the gorgeous Greenleaf Inn in Chester, Vermont. Dan and Liz turned this into a model of excellence in a lovely country setting. Latie and I made two trips to Chester to enjoy this perfect Inn and visit with Dan and Liz. Liz provided us with the best breakfast in New England, and Dan worked with her to decorate and maintain the lovely Inn. What fun we had! You could tell that a Marine Colonel was always preparing the rooms for an inspection by his Commanding General!

As an undergraduate, Dan became a central figure on the varsity crew. In our senior year, his heavyweight boat beat Harvard, winning the Compton Cup. Harvard had won ten straight years, but not the eleventh. For his contribution to Princeton and Princeton rowing, Dam was recognized in 2004 by the naming of a new heavyweight shell in his honor.

When Dan was elected Class Secretary, he approached the job with gusto. He enjoyed writing the column and had some fun. He reported one time on a committee I had in Boston which was preparing for a '52 mini-reunion with a hundred people. Dick Kazmaier had obtained Red Sox tickets for us. Dan's column read, "To check the atmosphere, the committee met at famed Fenway Park. After the business meeting, the participants decided to stay for the game."

He had to meet fifteen column deadlines every year, and once he had that under control, he expanded his role. He initiated sending colorful birthday cards to all five or six hundred of us during his three terms. He was our Secretary for 15 years and at the end, he volunteered to write obituaries along with writing the Alumni Weekly column and sending the birthday greetings.

With energy, and devotion to the Class, he set a new standard for Class Secretaries and served a Class full of amazing people exceedingly well. With our wild and colorful jackets, we and he perpetuated a Class Spirit that is the envy of many other classes.

Hooray for Dan and the part he played!!

Roger McLean '52
Remarks at Memorial Service, Quantico marine Corps Base, March 27, 2015

John Frederick Bryan

John Frederick Bryan, loving husband of Jane Rogers Bryan, passed away on March 20, 2015 at the age of 84 after a short struggle with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. John was the brother of Richard, Gray, and Marsh Bryan and was the son of Gretchen Schoen Bryan and Gray MacWhorter Bryan. John graduated from Princeton University in 1952 and had been a Captain in the USMC. John was an avid golfer, an enthusiast of classical music, a volunteer with the Central Park Conservancy, and an accomplished bridge player. John is survived by his loving wife of 42 years, Jane Rogers Bryan; seven children; 17 grandchildren; and his brother Marsh. A memorial service will be held at St. James' Church, 865 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10021 on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 2:00pm EDT. In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made in John's memory to the Central Park Conservancy or the New York Philharmonic.

John Bartholomew Lee

John Bartholomew Lee, who served the New Jersey Legislature with dedication and distinction for more than a quarter century as an employee of the Office of Legislative Services, died Friday morning in Freehold, NJ, after a brief illness. He was 84. 

In 1966, Mr. Lee joined the then-Legislative Services Agency's Division of Legislative Information and Research , leaving behind a promising newspaper career. During his years with the state, he produced some of the most intricate and complex bills introduced in the Legislature and received numerous letters of personal appreciation, including ones from then-Assemblymen Tom Kean and Robert Wilentz. He retired in 1993. 

After graduating from Princeton University with a degree in the Classics (Class of 1952), Mr. Lee went to work for the Freehold Transcript, a weekly publication where his job duties included reporting, writing and delivering papers. He left the Transcript to join the staff of The Trentonian, where he rose to the position of Editorial Page Editor. He presided over the paper’s editorial pages during the turbulent 1960s and expressed his own opinions in a regular column titled "Across the Board.” Noted for his rigorous thinking and scholarly bent, Mr. Lee nonetheless relished the rough and tumble world of the newspaper business. 

Born in Pleasantville, NY, in 1930, he was the son of Sylvester and Gertrude Lee. He was a graduate of the Freehold Military Academy and Peddie School in Hightstown, NJ. He and his wife of 55 years, Helen Carolyn Davison Lee, raised six children. A devoted father, he volunteered as an assistant scoutmaster with Troop 11, Trenton, NJ, and as a youth baseball coach in Millstone Township, NJ, where he lived from 1972 until his death. 

In addition to his wife, he is survived by three sons, Daniel (Julia), Michael (Mardi), and Timothy (Steve); three daughters, Emma (Mike), Elizabeth (Bert), and Gertrude (Ajay); 13 grandchildren, Jackie, Katherine, Conrad (Uli), Maggie, Alex, Marcus, Joseph, Steven, Carter, Skyler, Melodypearl, Krishna, and Lakshmi; and a great granddaughter, Emilia. 

A graveside funeral service will be held on Monday, March 16th, at 1:30 p.m. at St. Rose of Lima Cemetery, Freehold. For further information, please see website

Mitchell "Mike" Mills 

Captain Mitchell Mills, MD, 84, of Springfield, VA. and recently of York, PA, died Friday, February 20, 2015 at Hospice and Community Care, Bob Fryer and Family Inpatient Center in Mount Joy, PA. He was the husband of Sabyna (Steel) Sterrett-Mills. He was predeceased in life by his first wife, Betty Benton Mills. 

Born December 25, 1930 in New York City, he was the only child of the late Dwight and Adella Mills. He was a 1948 graduate of Sidwell Friends School in Washington DC, a 1952 graduate of Princeton University, and a 1956 graduate of Cornell University School of Medicine. He served in the U.S. Navy for over twenty years as a Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgeon, the last eleven years as Chief of Thoracic Surgery at Bethesda Naval Hospital. He also served as a Medical Officer on the Aircraft Carrier Bonhomme Richard, as well as off the coast of Vietnam on the hospital ship USS Repose. After his retirement from the Navy, he continued his surgical career in the Washington, DC area where he primarily practiced at the George Washington University Hospital and Sibley Hospital. He was consistently recognized in "Washingtonian Magazine" as one of Washington's best Thoracic, Cardiovascular and Vascular surgeons. He was also a Professor Emeritus at the George Washington University School of Medicine, and a life member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. 

In addition to his wife, Dr. Mills is survived by three daughters, Jenny M. Schrom and her husband, Jim of York, PA, Melissa A. Mills of Harrisonburg, VA, and Elizabeth A. Mills of Alexandria, VA; a son, Mitchell Mills, Jr. of Brookeville, MD.; three grandchildren, Christy Norment and her husband, Peter, Brian Cassagnol, and Ana Mills; and two great-grandchildren, Elliot Norment and Jonas Norment. A private memorial service will be conducted on Friday February 27 in York. Burial will be with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery at a later date. Kuhner Associates Funeral Directors, Inc, York is in charge of arrangements. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made In memory of Dr. Mitchell Mills to the Hospice and Community Care, Bob Fryer and Family Inpatient Center, 685 Good Drive, Lancaster, PA 17604 or to the Alzheimer’s Association for Research, 225 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60601.


Upcoming Events